Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Whatever they say I am most likely going to get the Pre unless something extremely bad happens. I also have plans to change providers as well, most likely sprint. (def sprint if the Pre goes as planned.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Going on the Early Show helps, as seen in another thread. They've also started throwing out mainstream ads, which is what they sorely need. The "strong and better broadband network" thing works too, they should also throw in the price more often. I think I did see an ad about savings over others, they should use that one often.
    You seem to be talking as if those are ads for the Pre as opposed to ads with Pre pictures.

Have you seen something that hasn't been mentioned on these forums?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    By iPhone standards, the initial Pre sales is likely to be less spectacular.

All the pre-launch (not Pre-launch) build-up is like compressing a spring - if you know what I mean - by literally selling phones before they are even available. At launch, the spring just pops resulting in the large number of units sold. In Palm's case, they don't appear to be compressing the spring enough.

Then there is the whole issue of CDMA <-> GSM. Didn't the Centro and Treo Pro both have GSM versions first? Both of them are successful products for Palm. (as opposed to the 800p, I think).
    I agree, more hype is needed. I don't think they'll sell out like the 1st iPhone either. But if they get out of the gate BEFORE the 3rd one, and push that Sprint has cheaper plans; for people who don't travel outside the US, I think they could have some decent sales.

As for not having a GSM version ready at the same time they release here, not necessarily good IMO. The Touch Diamond 2 is already trickling out, now expensive but could still dent GSM Pre sales if it gets picked up by carriers. GSM has so much more options that the faster the GSM Pre version appears, the better. Because that one has to fight against way more phones. For the US, it's one of the best CDMA smartphones to come out in a long time, but GSM is another ballgame.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    You seem to be talking as if those are ads for the Pre as opposed to ads with Pre pictures.

Have you seen something that hasn't been mentioned on these forums?
    The ads for Sprint with the Pre as the star phone in the ad? I think that's a good way to imply that the Pre is now a flagship Sprint phone.

Of course, "in your face" Pre ads may also be needed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The ads for Sprint with the Pre as the star phone in the ad? I think that's a good way to imply that the Pre is now a flagship Sprint phone.

Of course, "in your face" Pre ads may also be needed.
    Any ad that does not include the Pre's name and a reason to buy it, falls far short of necessity.

At least they've got it on their website - front and center, last I heard - but if someone calls Sprint, they won't know the name, and the rep won't be able to give them a price point or release date.

At the very least, if they didn't wanna give up the goods, but they did wanna tease... they should've made sure that each and every ad said something like, "Coming soon... www.sprint.com/pre."

At the rate information has been leaking, though, I DO get the impression that Palm's actions are pretty deliberate. I just hope they're deliberate and right. So far, I'm not convinced, but I'm hoping for the best.

I want a better browsing experience. I should go browse on an iPhone to see what it *can* be and maybe prepare me for the Pre. Dieter seems to think the Pre's web-browsing experience will be equal or superior to that of the iPhone.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And we would have used betamax and would all be watching HD-DVD movies now. I guess a couple of folks here haven't noticed that the rapid market growth in the cell business has slowed considerably - including the smartphone category - except maybe in China. A worldwide recession has a way of doing that.
    All examples of how the best products often don't 'win'.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    All examples of how the best products often don't 'win'.
    Of course, there appears to be room for more than one smartphone OS, but I doubt our current situation of 6 (iPhone, Android, WinMo, Symbian, BlackBerry, WebOS) will continue for long.
    I will be one iPhone user who will be switching to the Pre.

My reasons are, hate the virtual keyboard on the iPhone, no Flash on the iPhone, horrible coverage on AT&T (Dropped Calls, Failed Calls, etc).

The iPhone is an O.K. device, the major problem is AT&T.

If Palm & Sprint ever get around to actually selling the Pre, I think that it will be a huge success.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    oh sprint and palm,

I wonder how they are feeling when they see articles like this. You know they read them, and you know they have a game plan. What with there secrecy styled campaign I imagine they want to burst at the seems and tell us whats going on so they can keep those analysts quiet...

But sprint and palm have to 'stay the course', to put it one way, and just stick to there guns, and give us a release date when they KNOW that the phone will be ready... Sucks for us. Sucks for them. Sucks for everyone.
    I love lolcats
    I did a story at Palmloyal.com titled, "Palm, advertise or Die" a while back.

They have to do so with the Pre and has to quickly get the WebOS updated to allow Apple like apps to be made and sold in their App store.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Of course, there appears to be room for more than one smartphone OS, but I doubt our current situation of 6 (iPhone, Android, WinMo, Symbian, BlackBerry, WebOS) will continue for long.
    I think that is the major issue... not how well the pre might be but how well the other phones sell... out of everyone you mentioned in your list, only one maker is a "One Trick Pony." Yup, the maker of WebOS.

Well, as long as symbian is still with nokia... I can't keep up... BB has an ecosystem going on... we all know iphone, android and winmo has strong backing... MS, google and apple will battle for bigger prizes...

I thought the article was fairly accurate... an educated guess... if someone had a gun to our heads and said we had to make a good guess at the death of palm, I'd guess within a year (if it were going to die at all). If the pre is a disaster for any reason... palm is done.

With that said, I think the pre will be a success... hopefully enough to keep palm going. But Palm is in trouble...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    FWIW huffingtonpost.com has picked up the story. I hadn't seen it anywhere but here previously.

Twelve Brands That Will Disappear By End Of 2010

Scroll down for slideshow.
    Follow the money, folks. A lot of smart money managers own Palm shares. Who do you believe? Some internet blogger or people who actually have their own skins in the game.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Follow the money, folks. A lot of smart money managers own Palm shares. Who do you believe? Some internet blogger or people who actually have their own skins in the game.
    Um, something like 50% of Palm's stock is being held for the purpose of shorting, which is kind of staggering. In other words, a lot of money is being put up in hopes that Palm will fail. I wish I could find the reference for that, but I read it in the last week or two.

I hope all those people lose their shirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Um, something like 50% of Palm's stock is being held for the purpose of shorting, which is kind of staggering. In other words, a lot of money is being put up in hopes that Palm will fail. I wish I could find the reference for that, but I read it in the last week or two.

I hope all those people lose their shirts.
    I agree, partially... there are many reasons why someone might be in the game.

Can't follow any money on this... too many reasons why people invest... not always because they think a stock will do great.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Most are shorting Palm in the hopes of a fail. You cant just follow the money anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
    I will be one iPhone user who will be switching to the Pre.

My reasons are, hate the virtual keyboard on the iPhone, no Flash on the iPhone, horrible coverage on AT&T (Dropped Calls, Failed Calls, etc).

The iPhone is an O.K. device, the major problem is AT&T.

If Palm & Sprint ever get around to actually selling the Pre, I think that it will be a huge success.
    I had AT&T about 7 years ago and the coverage in the Chicagoland area was terrible. I would be roaming 33% of the time I would have thought they would have fixed it by now.

I had a 500 anytime minutes plan and every other month I would get roaming charges. I would call them up, and they would apologize and say they would credit my bill. The next month I would have 3 of 5 roaming credits and would have to call them again. I would get those 2 additional credits the next month, but would have 5 new roaming charges. This went on every month for the duration of my 2 year contract.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Palm can't fail, they may get absorbed by another company but they have too many assets for no company to pick them up. The word on the street is possibly Dell. 5 years ago I would have been scared to own a Dell phone, or quite frankly any Dell product, but they have realized that they can take their production and distribution model and still create a premium product.
    Personally I think that Palm will be bought out. If the Pre is a huge success them Palm can probally continue on its own. Its a marginal success BUT the WebOS is a hit then they will be bought for the operatin system alone OR if the Pre is a faliure and the WEB OS sucks then Palm will disapear into the night just like alot of faliures.
    I would place my bet on option 2 . The PRE does ok , sells moderatly but webos is a hit and someone purchases Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Personally I think that Palm will be bought out. If the Pre is a huge success them Palm can probally continue on its own. Its a marginal success BUT the WebOS is a hit then they will be bought for the operatin system alone OR if the Pre is a faliure and the WEB OS sucks then Palm will disapear into the night just like alot of faliures.
    I would place my bet on option 2 . The PRE does ok , sells moderatly but webos is a hit and someone purchases Palm.
    If priced correctly, I expect the Pre to do more than alright! Honestly I think there will be quite a few people who purchase it day one. After the initial launch, when it's out in the wild, I expect it to sell like crazy. The Apps for this phone will make it or break it. Actually that's really all Apple has going for it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast