Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I wonder if Palm is regretting selling the Pre exclusively through Sprint. Seems like a Verizon Pre would be pretty good for them.
    Verizon would have sat on it and tested it until Palm was six feet under, and palm knows that.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Palm is only the underdog because of years of incompetence. They used to own the smartphone market.

Not disagreeing w/your assertion. My point is that instead of following like sheep what reporters say, I analyze & make my own decisions. Palm has problems. Sprint has problems. Has there never been a turn around story? Are the pundits always correct?

I remember when Steve Jobs left Apple, the products & the pundits pretty much wrote off that company as well & declared victory for Microsoft. I would say the predicted demise of Apple was premature & overstated.

Will this product turn around Palm? I don't know. What I can say is what I have seen of the Pre was enough to stop me from buying an iPhone in the last couple months & cause me to wait until I can hold & test a Pre in my hand.

Pundits are often wrong. Now, Palm (& Sprint) MUST deliver.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I wish Palm would release the Pre before these flippin' financial morons kill it off for too many technically uninformed readers. It's time for Sprint/Palm to begin advertising more. This will get the general public curious/interested in the phone. I really think Palm can turn things around if the Pre hits the mark - and I hope it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Verizon would have sat on it and tested it until Palm was six feet under, and palm knows that.
    I know, right? The Touch Diamond launched on Sprint in September of 2008, about 3 months after most of Europe got it.

Verizon's Touch Diamond launched...LAST WEEK. April, 2009. FOR $100 more than Sprint sells it now. Almost a year after it first debuted. Running an established OS that many other Verizon devices already use with the same apps on those devices. You want to talk about an interminable wait? The 90 days or so of waiting for the Pre thus far is nothing in comparison.

And adding Verizon bloatware and an inflated price? Palm may as well have not released it if it was a Verizon exclusive.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I wish Palm would release the Pre before these flippin' financial morons kill it off for too many technically uninformed readers. It's time for Sprint/Palm to begin advertising more. This will get the general public curious/interested in the phone. I really think Palm can turn things around if the Pre hits the mark - and I hope it does.
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't take too many news cycles to turn around public opinion these days, but people are paying attention to stuff like this. This story will be quoted for about a week or so by blogs and other pundits, especially coming on the heels of the Motley Fool stuff. Palm and Sprint can't afford to let the perception get out of hand. The time to rebut with some good advertising is NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't take too many news cycles to turn around public opinion these days, but people are paying attention to stuff like this. This story will be quoted for about a week or so by blogs and other pundits, especially coming on the heels of the Motley Fool stuff. Palm and Sprint can't afford to let the perception get out of hand. The time to rebut with some good advertising is NOW.
    I don't disagree with this, but this stuff changes on a dime. Before the app announcements, there was plenty of grumbling about no release date and how Palm had screwed everything up, and I remember PhoneDog creating a "Palm, hurry up and release this thing!" video. Sure enough, Palm releases some substantial new info, and it's all love again.

Well, for a little while anyway. New info solves a lot of problems.

But that's the key. At this point, about the only significant "new" info left to release is the release date.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Palm does not need to get converts from Apple and Rim - it needs converts from Motorola Razrs and Nokia 1200.
    +1 Sire
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post

I remember when Steve Jobs left Apple, the products & the pundits pretty much wrote off that company as well & declared victory for Microsoft. I would say the predicted demise of Apple was premature & overstated.

Cheers
    +1
    yup. any company that goes down will come back
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Palm releases some substantial new info, and it's all love again.
    +1
    We all love it when it comes out
    The author does not understand:

1) superior product
    2) the importance of innovation
    3) expanding market---the future of phones is the smartphone
    4) importance of internet buzz

That said, marketing and word of mouth will be very important for the success of the Pre. People will see people with Pre's and want a Pre. I'm betting on it (bought Palm stock AFTER CES).

Also, I don't put much stock in surveys of current Blackberry and Iphone users when the Pre is not even out. On the other hand, while the internet is full of Iphoners I've also noticed more than a few disappointed Iphoners and their disappointment includes the form factor of the Iphone. If the new Iphone does not have a slideout keyboard and does not have a removeable battery..................................Even if it does, Palm will not only survive but will thrive. Nokia, Samsung and others may be the ones who should be shaking in their boots.
    lots of +1 on this thread
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I just think they should have waited until at least the first week of Pre sales before predicting a complete failure.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't know which bugs me more, folks being wrong for very right reasons or very right for the wrong reasons, but I'm seeing a good bit of both.

I see nothing wrong with someone making predictions about the demise of Palm, despite the fact that the Pre hasn't been released yet.

Maybe the PROBLEM is that the Pre hasn't been released yet. Or maybe it's that not enough people have even heard of it.

Or maybe it's all too little too late.

I truly hope not.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Next will come the WSJ and NY Times articles.
    The Times had this yesterday. More doom and gloom for the cell phone market in general. The reader comments make for interesting reading too.

This Old Phone? Good Enough for Me - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
    Hey Visor To Pre, if the above worked so well, Handspring would still be a company.
    Preach it.

This will come down to sales. Sales will be based on the number of people who are convinced that this product is for them AND have the means to pay for it. The latter half of that equation may be impacted by the recession, but I'll put that to the side for a sec.

Palm has to convince the right people with the right details. *Innovation* per se isn't exactly what does it (although it's certainly a factor). "Ooohhh, prettyyyy" and "This makes me look cool," are more important to more people than we might think - when they're completely honest (with themselves, even).

"Superior product" is defined *only* by the potential users. So, if x-number of TreoCentral members define superiority by functionality and ease of use, but 4x Joe and Jill Blows define superiority by bling bling standards, the Blows win! ...and "true" superiority loses.

Maybe that's why Palm went the Facebook route. Plenty of "superior" products and services go the way of the dinosaur. If Palm doesn't deliver this product to the right people the right way ... and in the right amount of time, they're screwed.

And so am I, cuz I really want to stick with Palm. I don't want to have to wade into the *current* market of so-called smartphones, which lack the elements that made me fall for this class of device in the first place.

Damn, I want this phone to succeed. Even if I never get one, I want the market to follow Palm's lead, not for some flashy, but insubstantial player to move the industry down the path toward sillyphones (that do stupid crap well, but don't help me accomplish my tasks).
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't know which bugs me more, folks being wrong for very right reasons or very right for the wrong reasons, but I'm seeing a good bit of both.

I see nothing wrong with someone making predictions about the demise of Palm, despite the fact that the Pre hasn't been released yet.

Maybe the PROBLEM is that the Pre hasn't been released yet. Or maybe it's that not enough people have even heard of it.

Or maybe it's all too little too late.

I truly hope not.

Much of his premise is that the Pre will fail, causing Palm's definite death. I don't think he has enough indicators to show this YET.

Palm has indeed been failing due to horrible management decisions IMO(and apparently others' too), but he completely shot down a phone that hasn't released. True, Sprint's not considered the ideal network by many, but I think we should wait and see how the Pre pans out. We know one hot phone can make a network popular again.

I DO however predict problems if they release too close to the other phone. It has a way of stealing the limelight from most other phones.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/16/2009 at 08:47 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I just think they should have waited until at least the first week of Pre sales before predicting a complete failure.
    By iPhone standards, the initial Pre sales is likely to be less spectacular.

All the pre-launch (not Pre-launch) build-up is like compressing a spring - if you know what I mean - by literally selling phones before they are even available. At launch, the spring just pops resulting in the large number of units sold. In Palm's case, they don't appear to be compressing the spring enough.

Then there is the whole issue of CDMA <-> GSM. Didn't the Centro and Treo Pro both have GSM versions first? Both of them are successful products for Palm. (as opposed to the 800p, I think).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    We know one hot phone can make a network popular again.
    But was either that network or the phone's manufacturer in the position that Sprint and Palm are in, today?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, exactly, but I strongly suspect that "Spralm" is a bit more down-in-the-dumps than were their competitors. That, plus the lack of Pre momentum (again, besides the enthusiasts around here) smells like Teen Spirit.

Okay, I don't know what that means. I just liked the sound of it.

I think they've got an incredible amount of work to do and I wish I saw more signs that they were doing it and doing it well. Like another poster said in another thread, not only do we not know the release date,... we don't even know the DATE that the release date will be released!
    Hey Visor To Pre, if the above worked so well, Handspring would still be a company.
    And we would have used betamax and would all be watching HD-DVD movies now. I guess a couple of folks here haven't noticed that the rapid market growth in the cell business has slowed considerably - including the smartphone category - except maybe in China. A worldwide recession has a way of doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    But was either that network or the phone's manufacturer in the position that Sprint and Palm are in, today?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, exactly, but I strongly suspect that "Spralm" is a bit more down-in-the-dumps than were their competitors. That, plus the lack of Pre momentum (again, besides the enthusiasts around here) smells like Teen Spirit.

Okay, I don't know what that means. I just liked the sound of it.

I think they've got an incredible amount of work to do and I wish I saw more signs that they were doing it and doing it well. Like another poster said in another thread, not only do we not know the release date,... we don't even know the DATE that the release date will be released!
    Going on the Early Show helps, as seen in another thread. They've also started throwing out mainstream ads, which is what they sorely need. The "strong and better broadband network" thing works too, they should also throw in the price more often. I think I did see an ad about savings over others, they should use that one often.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast