1.    #1  
    Visited a Sprint store today and talked to a guy that said he would be the store's PRE advocate. He said he had not gotten the PRE yet but was hoping he would soon. He is excited because they give the advocates the phone for their own for free, its theirs to keep. He currently is using the Treo Pro which they also gave him to be the advocate on.

He was up on all of the release rumors but said he was not sure about the release date and had no info on pricing. Said he had been told he would get the Pre about two weeks before the release.

Only new nugget he gave was that this morning there was an email to all sprint personel directing them NOT give out any information or to talk about the Pre. This guy was aware of the leaked documents and he thinks the email was in response to that.

Of course we then spent about 20 mins. talking about what we have heard about the pre and what we hope will be done. He is a bit concerned as his store was only given 3 Treo Pros for the day of release and hopes they have a lot more than that for the Pre.

Another thing he mentioned I thought was interesting had to do with Sunday release dates. He said Sundays are by far their slowest day of the week and on normal Sundays they may go the whole day without any customers so they do things like rearrange the stock. put up new displays and so on. He thinks one reason they release phones on Sunday is so that normal customer traffic does not interfere with selling the new phone and visa-versa. He said that they had been informed that there would be new display instructions for the store soon and he was not sure if that was related to the Pre or not, but he thought it might be.

FWIW he actually loves his Pro and if it were not for what he has heard about the Pre would keep it as his personal phone. As it is he expects to make the Pre his phone and give the Pro to someone.

Stopped by a second Sprint store as well. They had no information at all but were taking names and phone numbers for a waiting list to buy the Pre. He said the list was already pretty long.
    good info - thank you
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I'm curious, did he tell you anything you didn't know already?
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Hopefully we'll start to hear more as April draws to a close, but the official line from Palm/Sprint is unfortunately still "later".
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    Dang! Someone's gotta have some connections overseas to the China manufacturing plant. Ask when/if they already shipped assembled units out? That should give us some sort of clue as to when we can expect them here
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Dang! Someone's gotta have some connections overseas to the China manufacturing plant. Ask when/if they already shipped assembled units out? That should give us some sort of clue as to when we can expect them here
    Don't you blokes in the USA have online access to customs shipping info? I'm sure I've seen online customs declarations on Apple rumor sites?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    last I heard the sprint advocate are getting there phones early next month. no date as of yet. I'll be sure to take pics when my contact gets it
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    I'm curious, did he tell you anything you didn't know already?

As I noted in the original post, the only new information for me was the email that was telling Sprint people to clam-up about the pre and the fact that they are expecting new instructions on store displays which this guy thinks is connected to the Pre launch.

Best thing though was that I now have a real good connection with an advocate. He told me to keep checking back and I have his card. So I am hoping (hope-hope-hope) that when he gets the Pre he will let me know and maybe even let me touch it!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    last I heard the sprint advocate are getting there phones early next month. no date as of yet. I'll be sure to take pics when my contact gets it

IF my advocate guy is correct and he is supposed to get the Pre about two weeks before launch (like he did with the Pro). That would still give us a Mid-May date.
    I just left the mall and while there the Sprint Kiosk was watching there training video. I pretend not to be paying attention, but I listen to/watched about 5 mins on the traing video. I thik they caught on cause they paused it to help me.

One tidbit that I did get was that (per the guy) Sprint Premeire customers will not be able to pre-order the Pre. Now mind you this is a Sprint Kiosk, and not a Official Sprint store.

FWIW.
    I hit the Sprint store in my area during lunch. I was trying to see what they would say about the Pre without too much prompting. I said I was interested in upgrading my 755p, and he showed me the Treo Pro. He asked if I was interested in Windows mobile or if I liked Palm. I said I kind of preferred Palm, but I'd look at WinMo. Then I said I heard about some new phone coming out. He said yes, it's called the Palm Pre, and it'll probably be out in June (he said this without much sense of assurance--more like "June?"). Then he said it would have a different operating system. I didn't press him anymore. At least he knew what it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I hit the Sprint store in my area during lunch. I was trying to see what they would say about the Pre without too much prompting. I said I was interested in upgrading my 755p, and he showed me the Treo Pro. He asked if I was interested in Windows mobile or if I liked Palm. I said I kind of preferred Palm, but I'd look at WinMo. Then I said I heard about some new phone coming out. He said yes, it's called the Palm Pre, and it'll probably be out in June (he said this without much sense of assurance--more like "June?"). Then he said it would have a different operating system. I didn't press him anymore. At least he knew what it was.
    Sounds like the two guys I work with. They're not techies by any means, and I have to keep them in the loop about new Sprint products.

Id wager to say 75% of the people they talk to might know more about Sprint products then they do.

I pride myself on being the customer's "go to Sprint guy" for news on whats coming down the pipe and any help they need. I also seem to be the store Blackberry guy.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    we know so much more about Palm products than 99.9% of all phone store employees. i love when they ramble on like experts about products and technology and give you wrong info or painfully obvious info. they ramble on and i just want to stop them.
    I was actually impressed that he knew what it was, that it had a new operating system, and that he didn't give me a date that was either stupidly soon or stupidly late.

On the other hand, I have got to be exactly the customer that they want to sell a Pre to. I can't believe they're not pushing it more. I mean, for the right type of customer, they should offer to show me the web page and sign me up for notification of release. Perhaps todays sales are still more important than next month's. But I could have walked out of there and gone to get an iPhone. They could do more to stop the bleeding.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    we know so much more about Palm products than 99.9% of all phone store employees. i love when they ramble on like experts about products and technology and give you wrong info or painfully obvious info. they ramble on and i just want to stop them.
    In their defense though, they have a multitude of ever changing phones, promotions and callings plans they have to stay on top, plus deal with customers, plus try to up-sell customers with batteries, chargers, BT headsets, etc... plus be profficient with various different systems thay have to log in and out of all day...

All we have to do is sit here and absorb every single piece of information possible on a single phone
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    In their defense though, they have a multitude of ever changing phones, promotions and callings plans they have to stay on top, plus deal with customers, plus try to up-sell customers with batteries, chargers, BT headsets, etc... plus be profficient with various different systems thay have to log in and out of all day...

All we have to do is sit here and absorb every single piece of information possible on a single phone
    understandable, but if you don't know the answer to my question, don't try to bull**** me. you insult my intelligence.