Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    It sounds like the May 17th / June 29th has to do with having enough Pre's available. Am I reading this correctly? I think it would be suicide for Palm to have lets say 50% of their expected demand ready to go on May 17th but delay it so they can have 100% June 29th. I would rather have a release on May 17th that will definitely result in a shortage of Pre's than June 29th. Let it out to whoever wants one on May 17th...doesn't matter if you are Sprint or not because the Pre is here to get more people to sprint, not make them feel left out, and then if its a hit you have huge hype for the next batch of Pre's to come out. The Wii showed us that shortages is NOT a bad thing. The Wii has been out 3 years and LAST WEEK they finally said their supply has met demand.

WHAT IS PALM TRYING TO DECIDE HERE?! If their are 50,000 Pre's ready with the final software on May 17th release them to the general public, give them excellent support, and then have a "second release" when you have built up more inventory.
    Sounds like a bunch of rumors on top of rumors...

The dates you mentioned I think are out the door now... more rumors went out today about signal to noise ratio or something....

No one is sure... no firm facts or dates... nothing... nada... rumors....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    What ever happened to the Premium folks getting first grabs??? Perhaps that's the May 17th goal.....enough for the high end customers??

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I have called different Sprint stores and all of them have a "no vacation in May" type thing happening. What reasoning would you all implore that would not deduce a launch date sometime in May. It's all logics baby. I see no need for sprint to have a vacation freeze just for training. No way, No how!
    It's not like they have alot of help. Always have to wait when I visit a Sprint store. Even longer for warranty repairs.

IGO
    there's a lot of coordinated logistics involved here. planning, production, shipping, training, marketing, support, etc. they don't just press a button and everything happens.
    All which should be .."full steam ahead"..by now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    there's a lot of coordinated logistics involved here. planning, production, shipping, training, marketing, support, etc. they don't just press a button and everything happens.
    It's not that much co-ordination in the world.
    She's got jokes tonight too!!!!! I'm impressed!!!! It's Pre-Season!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    I have called different Sprint stores and all of them have a "no vacation in May" type thing happening. What reasoning would you all implore that would not deduce a launch date sometime in May. It's all logics baby. I see no need for sprint to have a vacation freeze just for training. No way, No how!
    The Pre is a make/break for both Palm and Sprint. It's gotta be done right........the first time!!!!

IGO
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    All which should be .."full steam ahead"..by now!!
    I'm pretty sure everything is already "full steam ahead" on the Sprint/Palm end. :-P They want this device out the door as badly as we do, but at the same time, they saw what a disaster the Blackberry Storm launch was, and they're not about to duplicate it. At this stage, they've probably finalized or come close to finalizing the launch firmware, and are focusing on inventory, marketing, etc. I suspect that any "delay" (remember, its hard to call it a delay when they've yet to announce a release date) would most likely be due to some kind of epic inventory fail, or the discovery of a major bug in the firmware.

Lets just hope for a unified, Apple-like launch event, and not some hodgepodge release where different stores start selling on different days.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    I have been saying for months now that two things almost totally hinge on production numbers and stock of Pre's in warehouses:

1) Release date
    2) When they decide and announce the release date is
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of rumors on top of rumors...

The dates you mentioned I think are out the door now... more rumors went out today about signal to noise ratio or something....

No one is sure... no firm facts or dates... nothing... nada... rumors....
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    lot's of -ing words in there. I think pressing a button would be much easier
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.