1.    #1  
    Here's the exact tweet from their official twitter account:

"More details closer to release on specifics of moving data around. Pre is designed for people with data from all over the "cloud"

Does this mean the Pre will be able to sync to more than just google, exchange, and facebook? Yahoo? Google? Hotmail?

I have said this before and will say it again.... if it supports YAHOO! out of the box, (meaning no IMAP fees needed), it would be a KILLER feature. Killer! Both Yahoo and Palm can benefit from this!
    Google and Facebook look to be the cloud partners. not that Yahoo wouldnt work, but i doubt Yahoo will be providing any free services ie push email like they do for iPhone. it will be Google or nobody.

BTW - i dont have any data on the cloud. where does that leave me?

i would consider using a mypalm online palm desktop with mypalm push email assuming it's stable, fast, easy, free, secure, and immortal.
    People still use Yahoo mail???

Funny! I tend to be tech support for a whole range of family and friends, (probably like most of you here) and I have moved that many people from Yahoo to Gmail, I have lost count. Just so they can use their regular mail client? Go figure.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Funny! I tend to be tech support for a whole range of family and friends, (probably like most of you here) and I have moved that many people from Yahoo to Gmail, I have lost count. Just so they can use their regular mail client? Go figure.
    so they used yahoo mail for years and then they want to all of a sudden switch to Gmail so they can use a local desktop POP email client? seems odd.
    I don't recall seeing Yahoo listed as an initial partner, so most likely no out-of-the-box Synergy support for them. Silver lining is that Yahoo might join up later down the road, in which case it's all gravy. That said, you can certainly still use Yahoo on the Pre, you'll just have to set it up to check for e-mail on a timer, rather than it push (correct me if I'm wrong here).
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Downer View Post
    I don't recall seeing Yahoo listed as an initial partner, so most likely no out-of-the-box Synergy support for them. Silver lining is that Yahoo might join up later down the road, in which case it's all gravy. That said, you can certainly still use Yahoo on the Pre, you'll just have to set it up to check for e-mail on a timer, rather than it push (correct me if I'm wrong here).
    This video from CES shows Yahoo in the presentation slide as a listed partner.

I don't know what Yahoo's development team is like, but maybe they're a little slow with working with Palm and the Pre? They don't even have a WinMo app out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

I don't think I've ever used Yahoo seriously, I think I only registered once to get something from a yahoo store, never used their email. Oh and doesn't flickr use yahoo accounts now?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Here's the exact tweet from their official twitter account:

"More details closer to release on specifics of moving data around. Pre is designed for people with data from all over the "cloud"

Does this mean the Pre will be able to sync to more than just google, exchange, and facebook? Yahoo? Google? Hotmail?

I have said this before and will say it again.... if it supports YAHOO! out of the box, (meaning no IMAP fees needed), it would be a KILLER feature. Killer! Both Yahoo and Palm can benefit from this!
    I have Yahoo mail configured on my Treo 700Wx as IMAP (and have so for years now, FREE). I don't Yahoo Mail Plus. It's not push, but it works just fine. *Pocket Outlook auto-configures it everytime.

I don't think that folks realize that for some years now, Yahoo has been allowing regular users to use Yahoo via IMAP without being a Yahoo Mail Plus subscriber.

Now concerning a desktop-based mail client, i've never tried it, but if i'm at a computer, i prefer just going to Yahoo.com.

Seeing as the Pre (just like any other smartphone) supports POP/IMAP, i see nothing different in just inputting the same mail settings from my Treo. It may not push (i really am not concerned about push) but it would work just like any other email client.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    BTW - i dont have any data on the cloud. where does that leave me?

i would consider using a mypalm online palm desktop with mypalm push email assuming it's stable, fast, easy, free, secure, and immortal.
    Same here!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I think palm will be rolling out an online sync client I don't think the mypalm project was pointless.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  11.    #11  
    I think for us techies we dont use Yahoo too much anymore. But for the general population, i think Yahoo Mail is still bigger than Gmail. (correct me if im wrong). Thats why i think it is still gonna be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I think for us techies we dont use Yahoo too much anymore. But for the general population, i think Yahoo Mail is still bigger than Gmail. (correct me if im wrong). Thats why i think it is still gonna be huge.
    I think youre right. I heard Yahoo mail is the biggest Email client outside Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

Considering how often Yahoo Mail complains that your browser or screen resolution isn't good enough to run it, I suspect that this joke is becoming more true every day....