Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21  
    I went from Verizon to Sprint about a year ago and have not regretted it a single bit.

    Remember that you can test the Palm Pre on Sprint when it comes out for 30 days and see if reception is acceptable in your area. Within that 30 day trial period if you are happy you can call cs and port your number over.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    Well after looking at Sprint's map, my area is in the Fair/Good zone, but there's quite a bit of roaming area around me. Though if it's true that I'd be able to use Verizon towers, that alleviates that issue, as even on my "3G" phone, I've never been anywhere that didn't use 1X for data. Though I really would like to hold out until August, I really won't have too big a problem coming up with the ETF, and looking over the bills I would save money on Sprint. Not to mention the fact that my phone currently takes 10 minutes to reboot and I stare at an hourglass more than the interface itself.
    I love sprint... but if there is a bit of roaming around you, I'd question a move to sprint... even more so if there is no roaming with verizon or some other large carrier (or maybe even a regional carrier)...

    Ultimately it is your choice... good luck...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3. #23  
    Do it Baby! With the Pre we will finally be back in the game with the rest of the Big boyz.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by DRMW View Post
    I went from Verizon to Sprint about a year ago and have not regretted it a single bit.

    Remember that you can test the Palm Pre on Sprint when it comes out for 30 days and see if reception is acceptable in your area. Within that 30 day trial period if you are happy you can call cs and port your number over.
    Can you really port over your old number (from another company) after you have had a new phone and phone # to play with within the 30 days?

    What happens to the new #, gets washed away?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Can you really port over your old number (from another company) after you have had a new phone and phone # to play with within the 30 days?

    What happens to the new #, gets washed away?
    In my experience, as long as you port the number before the 30-day trial period is up, you're good to go. I've never tried porting post-trial, but given the recent upswing in Sprint CSR, they *might* be willing to waive any potential ETF, since you're staying with the carrier.

    As for switching to Sprint itself, that really does depend on your area/financially situation. I would *not* count on the Pre launching for $200, and in fact, we've heard rumors that it might be pushing the $300 price point, so make sure you factor at least that amount into your plans. Also, Verizon does prorate their ETF by $5 for each month on the contract, so if you joined up in January, you'd be down do $160ish now.

    Finally, as mentioned at least once already, listen to your friends or acquaintances that have Sprint. If they say their service in your area sucks, then it might not be the best idea to switch. While Sprint does allow roaming on Verzion, the transition isn't smooth, and you'll most likely drop the call (when set to automatic, the phone usually has to completely lose touch with a Sprint tower, before it starts looking around for a Verizon one. The saving grace is that most phones can be set to force roam, but no word on if Pre can do this), so don't rely on roaming agreements if you're going to be constantly in-and-out of Sprint coverage.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

    Follow me on Twitter
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Can you really port over your old number (from another company) after you have had a new phone and phone # to play with within the 30 days?

    What happens to the new #, gets washed away?
    When you open a new account with Sprint they issue you a 'new' cell number and within the trial period you can call CS to port your old number to replace the issued number.

    If you do not port your old number over by the time the trial period is over, then the issued 'new' number is the number associated with your Sprint account.
  7. CTFan's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
       #27  
    Well, after taking a look at Sprint's overall coverage map and talking to numerous people on Sprint in my area, I don't think switching is a viable option. There's not a single person who said the coverage here was even remotely tolerable, and as much as I like the Pre, I'd rather not have a shiny brick of a phone. :P

    That being said, what do you all think the odds are that the Pre will run on Verizon's Open Network? Because I'd pay the full, off-contract price in a heartbeat for one!
  8. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    Well, after taking a look at Sprint's overall coverage map and talking to numerous people on Sprint in my area, I don't think switching is a viable option. There's not a single person who said the coverage here was even remotely tolerable, and as much as I like the Pre, I'd rather not have a shiny brick of a phone. :P

    That being said, what do you all think the odds are that the Pre will run on Verizon's Open Network? Because I'd pay the full, off-contract price in a heartbeat for one!
    You do know you can roam on Verizon for free right? I would say there is less than 1% chance the Pre will work on Verizon. I have never heard of any phone that has worked, although I haven't really been paying attention.
  9. #29  
    Not sure if this will be correct for everyone, but I ported a number to my Sprint line 7 months after I signed up with no problems at all.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i've been with Sprint for about a year and i love the coverage, service, phone selection, technology, stores, web site, technology, and pricing. i have the $99/monthly unlimited everything and it's a beautiful thing. i've had at&t and verizon and i much prefer Sprint by far.

    might the cost savings with Sprint significantly mitigate your pro-rated ETF with verizon? also maybe sell your BB on ebay or elsewhere to help pay for the ETF?

    sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, pay what you have to pay, and move forward. otherwise, you'll just remain miserable.

    life is short. enjoy yourself (within reason).

    good luck!
    I have done the same, and feel the same. I just wish others would bite the bullet to take care of what's necessary instead of trying to 5-finger-discount Sprint or any company to get things for nothing or a lot less than what's necessary.
  11. #31  
    I don't think the Pre will be great for any carrier. Unless some changes are made before the phone hits the market I'm staying with my Centro which works GREAT. The Pre would be good for NEW Palm users but not me. I started with the Palm III and like the way Palm OS works.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Downer View Post
    In my experience, as long as you port the number before the 30-day trial period is up, you're good to go. I've never tried porting post-trial, but given the recent upswing in Sprint CSR, they *might* be willing to waive any potential ETF, since you're staying with the carrier.

    As for switching to Sprint itself, that really does depend on your area/financially situation. I would *not* count on the Pre launching for $200, and in fact, we've heard rumors that it might be pushing the $300 price point, so make sure you factor at least that amount into your plans. Also, Verizon does prorate their ETF by $5 for each month on the contract, so if you joined up in January, you'd be down do $160ish now.

    Finally, as mentioned at least once already, listen to your friends or acquaintances that have Sprint. If they say their service in your area sucks, then it might not be the best idea to switch. While Sprint does allow roaming on Verzion, the transition isn't smooth, and you'll most likely drop the call (when set to automatic, the phone usually has to completely lose touch with a Sprint tower, before it starts looking around for a Verizon one. The saving grace is that most phones can be set to force roam, but no word on if Pre can do this), so don't rely on roaming agreements if you're going to be constantly in-and-out of Sprint coverage.
    Thanks for your answer and suggestions.

    I think I'm going to assume that only the first paragraph applies to me and the rest to the O.P.

    My contract with Vzw is done in July and I live in NYC. I've heard a lot of good things about Sprints service over on HowardForums. I'm leaving Vzw because I'm tired of Vzw's high prices, crippling of phones, lack of cool phones.

    Is there anyone else here that lives in NYC that can vouch for Sprint service as well? Just want to be reassured.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions