1.    #1  
    I wonder if the Pre will support foreign languages? Just the usual EFIGS? The fruitphone has most languages built-in.

I'm interested for it to have full support for Traditional Chinese, preferably with input, but I can live with display only.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm really hoping it can display Cyrillic, especially in the web browser, so that I can read websites in Russian. It's one of the few things I can't do on my Centro.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    I'm hoping for unicode support also. Seems like an obvious thing to do these days. It was already built into OS X, so an easy thing for the iPhone. Somebody must know this with regard to the Pre?
    There was a report from testers in China that there is no problem displaying Chinese. No additional information on input though other than that it's more difficult to program the input method.
  5.    #5  
    Well in the Linux world there's SCIM, rather rudimentary but it's perfectly usable. It would be awesome if someone can put handwriting support.
    It would be great to have Chinese language handwriting support on the Pre for input in all apps.

Just for Chinese-English dictionary use, there's PalmOS Pleco, which has its own handwriting input. The developer says that, at the moment, he is not planning to develop for the Pre (instead he's focusing on an iPhone version). However, I'm hopeful that the PalmOS version will run on Classic, perhaps with some tweaking from the author. I know that's not the ideal solution. He's also thinking about developing a web-based version, which should work on the Pre, although it will not be as full-featured as a native Pleco app. I don't know how handwriting input would work on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excoriar View Post
    There was a report from testers in China that there is no problem displaying Chinese. No additional information on input though other than that it's more difficult to program the input method.
    Were those testers actually developing Chinese language software for the Pre?
    I am hoping for some kind of Japanese input support in the future, even if it's third party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Were those testers actually developing Chinese language software for the Pre?
    Here's the thread that was discussing this: Chinese
  10.    #10  
    I just read the thread in that... er... thread, it does say the Chinese support is unofficial... *tears*

The guy "jailbroken" (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) and got root to install the Chinese fonts.
    Oh, right, that thread. It sounded like the Linux software wasn't too difficult to hack into, and I'd imagine that Palm will also provide legitimate tools for developers of language software, sooner or later. There's hope. And actually, it'll probably be much easier to develop such software for WebOS than for PalmOS, which wasn't originally designed for Asian languages, I think.
  12.    #12  
    Thread revival... I wonder if any of the advocates can confirm the language support?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  13.    #13  
    Yes! Someone managed to display Chinese on the Pre!

第一张显示中文的pre放出 - Palm OS 主機 - Hong Kong PDA User Group 香港派樂用家協會 - Powered by Discuz!

It's simplified Chinese, I hope traditional works fine as well as Japanese, Korean... etc.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I read somewhere else that full language support is built into the browser (maybe part of WebKit?), but is hit-or-miss elsewhere on the Pre. Hopefully it'll work OK in email, as that's also HTML-based. Asian character entry is another matter entirely.
    spanish language? so my dad can use it... and 4 my gf in Puerto Rico...