1.    #1  
    Just curious, but how long do you guys think it will be until Palm/Sprint release the second "Pre" with external SD media cards? 6 mo? 1yr?
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Just curious, but how long do you guys think it will be until Palm/Sprint release the second "Pre" with external SD media cards? 6 mo? 1yr?

they may not; hopefully the 16 and 32 g will be released for the GSM version in January of 2010.
    I have a feeling that the next webOS device will not be anything close to the Pre. It will probably be closer to a netbook/folio (maybe with a demo in CES 2010).
    depends on market demand for particular devices and feedback about the Pre - then again who knows what's going on in Jon Rubenstein's head? All I know is that Palm will find its way back to the top if WebOS proves to be as successful as they promised
    A Centro replacement which will ditch the d-pad and hard buttons for a gesture area.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I'd say a centro replacement based on the OS before x-mas of this year would be good for them.

A netbook might be good on paper, but Microsoft is killing the netbook OS field... and for good reason.

But then I've not been sold on web os being a success on anything but a phone... if anything, I'd think google has a better chance of competing against MS on different devices. But then google has not impressed with anything but search and google maps.

But that is my thought... more than likely not popular.
    Last edited by theog; 04/14/2009 at 06:21 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Would love to see just a PDA--a Palm Pre Touch or T/X, if you will. Not everyone needs a smart phone. I've been a Palm PDA user for 10 years and would love to upgrade to the WebOS without the monthly expense of the phone service.
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    Would love to see just a PDA--a Palm Pre Touch or T/X, if you will. Not everyone needs a smart phone. I've been a Palm PDA user for 10 years and would love to upgrade to the WebOS without the monthly expense of the phone service.
    Yeah, I think a Tungsten replacement is overdue. I think a webOS PDA is a great idea! Just like the iPod Touch is to the iPhone.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Problem with centro is do you make that small screen capacitive or resistive? WebOS is ideally used in a capacitive screen but a centro WebOS would likely be resistive...how well would it work.
    It would have to be capacitive to enable the multitouch as far as I understand the technologies. Also, do you keep the square screen, which leads to a pain in the rear end for developers(at least it has been for WM), or keep all WebOS phones with the same resolution
    Quote Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
    It would have to be capacitive to enable the multitouch as far as I understand the technologies. Also, do you keep the square screen, which leads to a pain in the rear end for developers(at least it has been for WM), or keep all WebOS phones with the same resolution
    I don't have access to the WebOS SDK, but perhaps there are provisions for larger resolutions supported. The applications scale automatically with the notification bar, so maybe...
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I don't think Palm will do any small screen webOS phones. If the next webOS device isn't a netbook type device, then most likely 6 months to a year there will be a 16GB or 32GB version of the Pre. They'll most likely add a better camera, and maybe even 4G if the sprint rollout is doing well. I hope they add a microSD card reader, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for it, cause they're copying apple. They may even go as far as adding OLED if lots of other phones start coming out with that. I expect the rest of the changes will all be software related.
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Problem with centro is do you make that small screen capacitive or resistive? WebOS is ideally used in a capacitive screen but a centro WebOS would likely be resistive...how well would it work.
    That "should" be the beuty of the os... to change and make it work in many different environments.

If they have not thought about a way to use the os without the touchscreen, I'd be very surprised....

Or maybe all versions should be touchscreen... interesting argument...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I was thinking the other day, WebOS would be nice on a Nokia N810 / Samsung Mondi-esque device. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth. no mobile radio, and loaded with Multimedia features. Slide out keyboard and support for HD video.
    Sad, but probably true. Too much Apple in Palm now. I think card slot days are gone, at least for early models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    they may not; hopefully the 16 and 32 g will be released for the GSM version in January of 2010.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I also think that card slots are gone and not coming back. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Id expect a full touch device with the same screen type, resolution and dimensions as the Pre. Thinner and smaller overall and aimed at the Centro market.
    It will be a car dashboard tablet pc which inserts into the cigarette lighter. it will keep records of the condition of the car by communicating with the car's computer via bluetooth. Will alert you when its time to schedule oil changes, tuneups, tire changes,
    it will talk with your gps device (built in or external) and will post your real -time location on your facebook, twitter, and myspace sites.

The big appeal? The massive 15 inch screen.

LOL.

watch out now.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I don't have access to the WebOS SDK, but perhaps there are provisions for larger resolutions supported. The applications scale automatically with the notification bar, so maybe...
    Not having SDK access, but going off what Palm's devs have said and the info in the webOS dev book...

webOS apps automatically scale to the current allotted "viewing area" that the OS permits them, which can change based on notifications and card status (when you press the center button to zoom out to card view, that card is still live and functioning.). This is achieved through the beauty of handling skinning/interface layout via CSS. Palm doesn't expect to release a webOS device with a screen less than 320 pixels in width, but does expect higher resolution devices with varying proportions over time. webOS is designed to scale up and down to several different form factors.

So, you could have the same webOS app running on a 480x320 Palm Pre, a 320x320 Centro running webOS, and a 1280x768 Foleo 2 running webOS, with minimal to no code changes. Very cool stuff for devs.

EDIT: My Pre-dictions about the future of webOS:

Personally, I think the second webOS device will be a slate, keyboard-less (obviously, Palm will have to code up a virtual keyboard) low-end device that'll take over the $100-150 price slot that the Centro is holding now. It'll probably come out in October or so, and will be an upsell target for fashion-conscious users who are looking at an Instinct S30 who don't really care about a keyboard, but just want a simple, small, light, powerful device that can handle high-end web-browsing and offer unique application experiences - in other words, anyone that's seen an iPhone and not passed it by because of the virtual keyboard.

The third webOS device might be further off, but I'm 99% certain that Palm will try a Foleo Redux, with the device running webOS. Give it Wi-Fi and maybe even Wi-Max on Sprint's network, and it could be a netbook-killer.
    Last edited by Libb; 04/14/2009 at 10:43 PM.
    The Pre has to take off first and webOS & apps need time. A Diamond like phone may come with virtual kb. Anything like a Foleo is just a bad idea at this future point and too late. If Apple has taught us anything, its too focus on what features will sell and who the audience will be.

A webOS device with no phone and OPTIONAL data only (key thing here for like 30 a month from sprint) would be appealing. But the apps need time to develop first. So does webOS. And by that time methods of managing media would need to be simple and Palm would need to be hooked into an easy process of acquiring media and getting it on the device. HD, bigger screen, GPS, 1080p camcorder?

Anyways, sprint has bandwidth to sell and like with Whispernet for amazon, they're looking for ways to implement it. Something webOS seems likely to me next year.

JMO..sorry to ramble.
    Palm will need to recover, financially, upon the release of the Pre. It seems as this point the Pre won't save Palm but give it life-blood to continue to innovate and release additional innovation into webOS devices, apps, ect. Palm isn't about the Pre but about webOS...Apple and their App Store shifted the market as it's all about the platform, not solely the device That's what it needs to do...prove webOS so they can secure an acquisition or additional funding. This might be the real underlying direction for webOS....something that's got "legs" for the next 5 years....
    There's no further innovation without some capital and you can rest assured that Apple and RIM will continue to innovate this space.