Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have a few questions that i can't really seem to find the answers for.

First, I was wondering if I would be able to utilize the web while talking. Currently, I have the treo 700wx, and if i was on the web the data portion pauses/ceases when it switches to the voice portion.

Since the pre has been announcing it as a true multitasking type phone will i be able to say, use the internet site webcaptell (provides written text of your conversations) simultaneously while having a conversation. Will I be able to run both voice & data at the same time, or will it only run 1 at a given time like my current treo?

Second question has nothing to do with multitasking but computer compatibility.

Will it be compatible with my mac, for the simple terms of pictures/videos, music, etc...?

Last edited by andycane; 04/13/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Somehow I doubt you can talk and go on the internet. And I'm sure it'll be compatible with Macs. (But do you have to have a computer considering everything is synced through the internet?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Not because of the Pre, but because of Sprint's network. It doesn't support simultaneous data and voice.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  4.    #4  
    that was what i was afraid of
    I suppose updating to the simply everything plan wouldn't change anything as i think i currently have the sero plan. Is there any network that currently allows both data & voices simultaneously?

Since Sprint is beginning rolling out the 4G network, would the data & voice cohesive on the 4G network be possible in the future? (side note-i do understand that the current pre will not support 4G)
    You probably will be able to talk and do data with WIFI. That's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by andycane View Post
    that was what i was afraid of
    I suppose updating to the simply everything plan wouldn't change anything as i think i currently have the sero plan. Is there any network that currently allows both data & voices simultaneously?
    I think some GSM networks do, but they are overall slower.

Since Sprint is beginning rolling out the 4G network, would the data & voice cohesive on the 4G network be possible in the future? (side note-i do understand that the current pre will not support 4G)
    Yes I believe this is a feature of the technology Sprint is utilizing for 4G.
    The technology that Sprint is calling "4g" (WIMAX) is not a voice technology. It is focused on data and could be considered a longer range, easier to deploy wifi. It is used on a completely different frequency band then Sprint's current CDMA voice/data network. Which will, eventually, move to LTE just like everyone else. (in the 2011-2012 time frame IMHO)

HSPA can do simultaneous voice/data, EVDO Rev A (in its current form) can not.

If you need data while on a call, make sure you are in range of a wifi hotspot.
    This was answered in a good Story by PreCentral:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-s...oice-data-evdo
    It was just for GSM in Europe as I recall, with one of the providors there.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

Great links, thanks. It explained quite a few points as it did compare GSM (can) to CDMA(can't) ability to provide simultaneous data/voice. However, they also said that EVDO Rev A network is possible in theory to allow data & voice, but yet sprint for some unknown reason decided not to implement the potential. What would the reason not to try to provide this service (even if it was in limited locations/city)? But there was also a link in that article that feels like a kick in the nut sack as sprint's VP confirmed that they will not allow this implementation with the pre. wifi isn't really an option given the limited choices & fact that you have to pay for some of the hotspot locations which seems like a moot point.

But I can't help but wonder is this to discourage tethering/slingbox type use, or if the current bar set for quality of the call/data would no longer be consistent.
    (i do hear a lot of complaints about AT&T's quality of calls & overall slower/inconsistent data speeds, not to mention the recent shady stuff they tried to sneak with the TOS regarding to data despite if you had unlimited).

Since only either data or voice can run one at a given time I wonder how that would affects the effectiveness of telenav on the road; if you use it as a GPS in the car and then someone calls=missed turns/exits. Or if the network limitations would also result in a lower pools of available application as some would not be really practical (i.e., urban spoon as you would have to hang up & then use the application, then call friend back up and repeat if friend doesn't like choice). It seems like I have more questions than answers now. I hope Palm starts to release some more info on the release dates/price and surprise features to help resolve some of the fears i'm having now.

The author of table in that article seems to think basic EVDO upstream speeds are 500-800kbps - and that EVDO and EVDO Rev A are essentially identical in this aspect. If only that were true.
    However, they also said that EVDO Rev A network is possible in theory to allow data & voice, but yet sprint for some unknown reason decided not to implement the potential. What would the reason not to try to provide this service (even if it was in limited locations/city)?
    I'm gonna take a guess and say Sprint probably didn't do it for two reasons:

1. Cost. It sounds to me that although it's "possible" it doesn't sound like an easy task and makes it sound costly which Sprint probably figured out the effort to make it happen probably wouldn't result in many new customers. They'd only be pleasing the few superusers like us.

2. 4G. Sprint's been busy with there WiMAX program, it makes sense that they would focus their efforts on that, which should provide simultaneous voice and data within their network. It's already rolling out to cities this year with five of the country's most populous cities rolling out next year.
    ^^ Clearwire is rolling out WIMAX. Sprint owns a majority share of Clear but that doesnt mean the WIMAX network will in any way replace Sprints current and future voice and data network. They are separate networks and Clear will not be moving into voice for the foreseeable future. WIMAX is a mobile internet connection. CDMA is a mobile voice and data network.

It isnt just that Sprint has decided not to implement simultanious voice and data, no CDMA carrier in the world has implemented simultaneous voice and data over Rev A. It is a purely theoretical capability that is never going to be implemented outside the lab.

The lack of simultaneous voice and data is only really an issue when using GPS navigation or tethering. It definitely has a chilling effect on my use of those features. However personally, my voice use has been declining dramatically as more and more of my friends and acquaintances move up to phones with keyboards. As long as SMS and email come through while tethered I can deal with it.

Great links, thanks. It explained quite a few points as it did compare GSM (can) to CDMA(can't) ability to provide simultaneous data/voice. However, they also said that EVDO Rev A network is possible in theory to allow data & voice, but yet sprint for some unknown reason decided not to implement the potential. What would the reason not to try to provide this service (even if it was in limited locations/city)? But there was also a link in that article that feels like a kick in the nut sack as sprint's VP confirmed that they will not allow this implementation with the pre. wifi isn't really an option given the limited choices & fact that you have to pay for some of the hotspot locations which seems like a moot point.

But I can't help but wonder is this to discourage tethering/slingbox type use, or if the current bar set for quality of the call/data would no longer be consistent.
    (i do hear a lot of complaints about AT&T's quality of calls & overall slower/inconsistent data speeds, not to mention the recent shady stuff they tried to sneak with the TOS regarding to data despite if you had unlimited).

Since only either data or voice can run one at a given time I wonder how that would affects the effectiveness of telenav on the road; if you use it as a GPS in the car and then someone calls=missed turns/exits. Or if the network limitations would also result in a lower pools of available application as some would not be really practical (i.e., urban spoon as you would have to hang up & then use the application, then call friend back up and repeat if friend doesn't like choice). It seems like I have more questions than answers now. I hope Palm starts to release some more info on the release dates/price and surprise features to help resolve some of the fears i'm having now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The author of table in that article seems to think basic EVDO upstream speeds are 500-800kbps - and that EVDO and EVDO Rev A are essentially identical in this aspect. If only that were true.
    All the speeds quoted are theoretical speeds which are never the actual speeds.

EVDO and EVDO Rev A are indentical, Rev A is only a software update. The Rev A changes included the introduction of several new forward link data rates that increase the maximum burst rate from 2.45 Mbit/s to 3.1 Mbit/s. Also included were protocols that would decrease connection establishment time (called enhanced access channel MAC), the ability for more than one mobile to share the same timeslot (multi-user packets) and the introduction of QoS flags. All of these were put in place to allow for low latency, low bit rate communications such as VoIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evdo#TIA-856_Rev._A
    Last edited by deesugar; 04/15/2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    ^^ Clearwire is rolling out WIMAX. Sprint owns a majority share of Clear but that doesnt mean the WIMAX network will in any way replace Sprints current and future voice and data network. They are separate networks and Clear will not be moving into voice for the foreseeable future. WIMAX is a mobile internet connection. CDMA is a mobile voice and data network.

Sprint to launch WiMax phone in 2010

"There will be a "trimode handset," meaning it would function in three wireless modes. Including WiMax and CDMA, the third mode will most likely be Wi-Fi, although that piece has not been confirmed."

Dan Hesse CEO of Sprint definitely said you could talk and surf on the Pre duing the CES show. but - no definitive answer if he was talking about 3G or WIFI surfing.
    Sprint to launch WiMax phone in 2010

"There will be a "trimode handset," meaning it would function in three wireless modes. Including WiMax and CDMA, the third mode will most likely be Wi-Fi, although that piece has not been confirmed."

Using WIMAX as an internet connection yes. With voice over CDMA. And Data over CDMA too for those times when you are outside Clear's miniscule coverage areas.

Assuming Clear even survives 2010. Their financials are pretty bad.
    Great reason for the wifi use...for when you're on wifi for internet, the phone's available for voice. Don't know how often that combo will be available...but there it is.
    Have a few questions that i can't really seem to find the answers for.

First, I was wondering if I would be able to utilize the web while talking. Currently, I have the treo 700wx, and if i was on the web the data portion pauses/ceases when it switches to the voice portion.

Since the pre has been announcing it as a true multitasking type phone will i be able to say, use the internet site webcaptell (provides written text of your conversations) simultaneously while having a conversation. Will I be able to run both voice & data at the same time, or will it only run 1 at a given time like my current treo?

Second question has nothing to do with multitasking but computer compatibility.

Will it be compatible with my mac, for the simple terms of pictures/videos, music, etc...?

As to question 1, only if you're browsing the web via Wifi. If you're on Sprint's EVDO service you cannot be surfing the web while on a voice call. This would only work via wifi.

As for Q.2, the Pre will show up as an external drive and you can just drag and drop your compatible files (non-drm music, video, photos) into it.
    I am really hoping that Sprint gets their network so that you can have voice/data at the same time. We recently got 3G in our area and I have thoroughly enjoyed having the capability of using voice/data at the same time. I can be on a call and get a price quote and then email it and discuss it with the person I'm talking to. This is just like I could do if I was in my office. Before, I would have to tell to tell them I would get the quote together and then call them back. That's when we would start playing phone tag. That's the one thing about AT&T's service that has been great.

Plus, no missed calls because I was using data.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast