Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, we're getting close. Dates are being tossed around (see the giant thread called predictions and Speculation) and we are discussing everything from how to get ready for the pre to what you might miss.

What we need to discuss now: How to Get one. Not just how to order it, But how to get it ASAP and avoid missing out on the first batch of phones (yes, there is a possibility of a sell out)

Thoughts anyone?
    • If you were one of the original iphone owners, how did you get the phone?
    • Does anyone think being a Sprint Premier member may get you a pre Order?
    • In the past, current Palm owners where able to order phones 1st. should we hope for this again?
    • Who is making friends with Store managers? (and Can you share their names )
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    See also: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...e-process.html

I'm hoping to be able to get one from my local Sprint Store on day 1.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    You could hijack Dan's limo...
    I will most likely be camping out at the Sprint store.
    I am a Sprint Premeire customer, so I am hoping for some sort of advanced ordering. I will take it a day or two later (shipping) if it saves me from standing in line for hours.
    I'll drive up to Palm Warehouse and do a lil Solid Snake action on them!
    Has anyone even confirmed that retail outlets will actually stock the Pre? The purchase process for the iPhone 3G involved going to the store, placing the order, and then picking up the phone a week or so later depending on availability.

The unit was shipped by FedEx in a single package addressed to the store but with my name on it so that the rep could find it. I got the tracking notification from FedEx and knew that the unit arrived even before the AT&T store was able to log it in and call me. It seemed like a good way for Apple to keep the units "stocked" in regional warehouses.

If you think about how many retail outlets there are in the US (Sprint stores, kiosks, Best Buys, Radio Shacks) it would seem to make sense for Palm/Sprint to do the same thing. Although, since there is only one Pre model, they may be able to get away with less stock. There are four models if iPhone 3G (8G & 16G, black & white).
    StatCoder, that's only because they ran out of stock on day one. Those who camped out at AT&T and Apple stores more than likely got their hands on one right then and there.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    i camped out for the original iphone and also for the iphone 3g. both times i arrived in line 5 hours prior to selling time. i will be camping out for the pre because im sure they will not be making as many units for launch day. on the other hand there are probably less people interested in the pre as there were the iphone at launch. regardless i want the phone asap and the only way to guarantee that is to be one of the first in line which i do not have a problem with.
    I was going to hold up the local Sprint store but then I realised I would not get my rebate.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    My buddy at Sprint promised to reserve me one. Hope he can!
    Quote Originally Posted by jorsuss View Post
    i camped out for the original iphone and also for the iphone 3g. both times i arrived in line 5 hours prior to selling time. i will be camping out for the pre because im sure they will not be making as many units for launch day. on the other hand there are probably less people interested in the pre as there were the iphone at launch. regardless i want the phone asap and the only way to guarantee that is to be one of the first in line which i do not have a problem with.
    do we really need to camp out the long? i can't imagine showing up earlier than 9 (for a 10 am opening) and having any trouble getting a pre
    I'm hoping my status as a Premier customer means I can get it over the internet or over the phone with no hassle. Sprint stores near me don't tend to usually have the smartphones in stock, they have to order them anyway, and they're very inconvenient for me to get to.

Here's hoping that the biggest problem for me will be waiting for UPS or Fedex or whoever to get it to me while all of the people who got it from stores are playing with it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    My buddy at Sprint promised to reserve me one. Hope he can!
    I want friends at sprint... grrrrr...
    From experience:

Centros available on a sunday. Order online that day. Received Mon or Tues (i forget). Not sure if stores had em..but i needed SERO.

Diamond. Tried it out. Ordered online on a sunday. Got it a day or two later. Wasn't in stores yet.

Touch Pro. Was at Best Buy when released. Returned after a couple of weeks.

This, however, probably is more Instinct like since that's the only major promoted phone by sprint recently which i don't have experience with. Hard to tell how Sprint will go about the Pre which should have much more buzz than the Instinct did but probably in stores first IMO with limited supply. Would prefer to be able to order online at the opening bell..
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Thoughts anyone?
    • If you were one of the original iphone owners, how did you get the phone?
    • Does anyone think being a Sprint Premier member may get you a pre Order?
    • In the past, current Palm owners where able to order phones 1st. should we hope for this again?
    • Who is making friends with Store managers? (and Can you share their names )
    My son in law, then my daughter (his wife), both worked at Sprint. My daughter only recently left. I told her that if, by leaving, she's endangered my "in" with Sprint on getting a Pre on day one, there would be a change in my will.

She laughed, because she knows I have nothing left to will to anyone, but promised to keep in touch with her friends at Sprint, most notably her previous district manager (she was a store assistant manger).
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm hoping my status as a Premier customer means I can get it over the internet or over the phone with no hassle.
    I'm hoping for the same

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My son in law, then my daughter (his wife), both worked at Sprint. My daughter only recently left. I told her that if, by leaving, she's endangered my "in" with Sprint on getting a Pre on day one, there would be a change in my will.
    wow ... cruel
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    About a month ago, I looked up some information in emails, etc. to answer some questions Pedro had about the Instinct launch on Sprint (since, it is the closest thing to a major release they've had in recent memory)... I'll repost it here, in case this provides any insight into how they might handle the Pre launch...

When Sprint announced the Samsung Instinct, they also launched a "Coming Soon" page w/ a notification sign-up much like they did with the Palm Pre during CES. Being excited about the Instinct (and foolishly hoping that a non-smartphone could cure my techno-lust) I signed up on day one when the Instinct was announced. Then on 5/22/08 about a month before the Instinct was launched I got a "Coming Soon" email from Sprint telling me that the Instinct would be out in a month (I think this is when they finalized the release info... The Instinct was scheduled for a Friday release on 6/20/08). Finally I got the best email on 06/18/08. It said:

"INSTINCT - You are invited to the exclusive private screening. Get your hands on the Samsung Instinct one day before anyone else. Just print this email and bring it to your Sprint store on 6/19/08"

Pretty cool huh?

So, of course I immediately tried going to the Sprint Store on 6/18/08 just to see if I could get even a sneak peak, at the phone I was supposed to be able to buy the next day. Unfortunately I went to the Sprint kiosk (which I think is a franchise, owned by Radio Shack) in my local mall. Big mistake. The manager (who I actually knew personally, and trust as a good source of info) wasn't working that evening, and the employees that were working, were totally clueless, and didn't believe me when I told them about the email (I should have printed it and brought it with me)...

The next day (6/19/08) I printed the email, and went in to the local Sprint Corporate Store. They were of course happy to see me, and to sell me an Instinct (once they saw the email proving I qualified for the early release), and of course upgrade me to the Everything Plan that was initially required for the Instinct (although later, that requirement was relaxed).

Here are a couple other quick tidbits:
    >> The Instinct sold FAST (granted I was told that even the Sprint corporate store only had 12 Intincts in stock for release day... let's hope they stock more for the Palm Pre), all of their initial allocation were sold to pre-release customers...
    >> When chatting w/ the folks at the corporate store, I heard about one guy who had found out about the early release online (but wasn't signed up for the emails), went into the store only to be turned away (no email = no early Instinct), went home & signed up for the emails, got sent a "pre-release email" that same day, and then returned email in hand later that afternoon and bought his Instinct.
    >> When I visited my aquaintance who was the manager of the Sprint kiosk later on, she told me that I should have come to her on 6/19/08, and that yes, they would have honored the early release email. In fact, because so many people went to the Sprint corporate store (thinking that they had to go there for the early release) her kiosk actually didn't sell out until a few days later (although she definitely did sell out that weekend).

Now, will the release of the Palm Pre be anything like this? I have NO idea. The hype surrounding the Pre is definitely MUCH higher than the hype for the Instinct. However, I'd really like to think that Sprint learned something from the Instinct release. Dan Hesse has already hinted that one thing that is slowing the release of the Pre is the manufacturing and stocking of a sufficient quantity for launch day (although who knows if Sprint's idea of "enough" will actually be enough).

I hope this helps...
    My personal opinion is that if they do a pre-release launch like they did for the Instinct it'll be for Premier Customers, and then for non-premier customers that have already signed up (via Sprint's website, no idea if they'll extend the offer to people who just signed up on Palm's website and not theirs) to be notified when the Pre becomes available... I just hope they have a MUCH bigger stockpile of Pre's than they did of Instincts!

Hope this helps!
    sign up for the Sprint notification about the pre and when the relese date is announced, I believe you can reserve one in store for the first day. That's the way the instinct worked.

I know I will be getting one, first day without a doubt. I have had the first Blade and Instinct in the my area. Don't expect that tp change with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roturn View Post
    I know I will be getting one, first day without a doubt. I have had the first Blade and Instinct in the my area. Don't expect that tp change with the Pre.
    You too? LOL... I'd give you a hard time, but considering I was did the Exact same thing on day #1 w/ the Blade & Instinct, I'd be a bit of a hypocrite... Maybe we should start a club?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast