Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I know, I know, my employer is wedded to a crappy email system. But I've got to deal with it.

Has anyone heard anything about GroupWise support for the Pre? Specifically, our company is going to implement NotifyLink soon and it will include iPhone support. Our company wants to move away from Palm and toward Blackberry.

But I gotsta haves me a Pre.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Our work uses crappy groupwise too but I dont want that email on my pre. You should be able to use imap to view the mail. wont integrate contacts and calendars but it will get you email.

I actually dont use groupwise anyways.... I just have everything that goes to my work email forwarded to my gmail.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    thanks for the quick reply jagowar. I hadn't even thought about forwarding to my gmail account. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to do it (but I assume there is a help topic in Groupwise).

When you forward your groupwise mail to gmail, are you able to reply to the sender of the email? Or would I still have to go into Groupwise to reply? I can prolly live without calendar and contact syncing, but I have to be able to reply to messages directly from the phone.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrtesq View Post
    I know, I know, my employer is wedded to a crappy email system. But I've got to deal with it.

Has anyone heard anything about GroupWise support for the Pre? Specifically, our company is going to implement NotifyLink soon and it will include iPhone support. Our company wants to move away from Palm and toward Blackberry.

But I gotsta haves me a Pre.
    For corporate users that pay maintenance on GroupWise, they get Groupwise Mobile Server. GMS is going to change sometime this year, and start using Active Sync. Since that is the mechanism that is (likely) being used for Exchange's synchronization, I don't think a native sync tool for the Pre will be far down the road.

Notify Link was a pioneer in push technology for the Treo's, so I would suspect that Notify Link will likely have a Pre solution before Novell releases their own.

BTW, anyone that thinks GroupWise is a "crappy email system" compared to Exchange understands little of either system. The worst thing about GroupWise, from an IT standpoint, is that it lowers the need for support staff, thus thinning jobs for IT people.

On the flip side, those that can manage the systems get paid more
    ^^ agreed.

I've used GroupWise, Exchange and Notes. They all suck for one reason or another but GW is definitely the best of the three. No viruses, a much more modern desktop client and better webmail with more features and better speed.

Sorry, that was off topic but if you want to stay on topic don't start off by saying something is crappy.

My biggest complaint about GW or Notes is the lack of third party support they get. That is actually Palm's fault, not theirs.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Thanks for the constructive comments. I guess I'll have to think twice before describing my personal opinions and experiences. I mistakenly assumed that my personal opinion wouldn't have any bearing on the technical question I was asking.

Hparsons, thanks for the insight as to GMS and NotifyLink. I hope it unfolds as you postulated.
    Last edited by jrtesq; 04/14/2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: tone down the flames