Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Based on years of experiencing problems with the first generation of all kinds of electronic products (see early iPhone issues), as well as first versions of many mass-produced products, from cars to medical products, shouldn't one wait for at least the second generation?

I'm really anxious to replace my 755, which has a number of annoying problems, but as much as I want a Pre I'm thinking of resetting my "compulsive" phone lust to a simmer and waiting to hear what's good and "bad" with the first release.

As Dennis Miller has said "that's my opinion, I may be wrong"

What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
    If *everyone* abstained from getting the Pre on day 1 (or thereabouts), then how would we get to know about it's good or bad sides? I'll be getting one when it launches as i have been too starved for something very decent in the form of the Pre (almost 3yr old 700Wx).

Guinea pigs FTW
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I'm going to try to go the first day, but I'm not porting my VZW number day one. Will check it out for awhile and then cancel VZW.
    If everyone would wait, I doubt there will be a second generation phone. We need to support Palm, and the only way to do so is to buy the Pre.

Look at the Storm, it was rushed out, it was popular, it was a disaster. They did a bunch of updates, and now it's much better. Palm promised over the air updates, so yeah, I gladly take the risk of it not being 100% perfect at launch, but what smart phone is? Most glitches are more of an annoyance than anything else, and usually doesn't cripple your phone, well...there is ONE noticeable exception were some fruity company decided to basically DESTROY your phone if you DARED to do something to it that they didn't want you to.

My Sprint Touch had it's share of updates, and it still crashes on a fairly regular basis.

Forgot waiting on that gadget that comes out and is 100% flawless, that won't happen. Sprint and Palm apparently are doing their best to make sure the Pre is as good as it can be out of the gate. Not buying it would be disastarous for Palm, and for us, because then it might go the way of Betamax....the better product that just wasn't appreciated.

I am not saying for everyone to buy it on day 1, sit back a couple of weeks, check out the reviews, then buy it...but don't wait for the next generation, because...since it is the next generation it might have bugs too, or...there just might not be one at all.
    Of course, the best thing to do is wait. Wait to see what the glitches are. Wait to see what the reviews look like. Wait to see what software really is available at launch. Wait to see what the app store looks like and when they get it launched. Wait to see if the platform is a success or if you will end up with a "what is that?" phone for the next two years. Finally, you should wait to see if Palm goes under or not.

I guess it depends on whether you wish to put your own interests first or Palm, Inc.
    It just depends. Is your cell phone business critical. I probably wouldn't jump on it day one. But if it's just a cell phone, why not. You can deal with issues until they are fixed. And you are forgetting there is always a 30 day return if it does end up having some issue that you just can't handle.
    I think it depends on how critical your phone is to you. Do you have to have a reliable phone at all times for your livelihood? If so, then you want to think long and hard about what the phone you depend on is, and you want to do research, see what users are experiencing.

I am actually thinking that I'd like to see what the initial reaction to the Pre is, especially reviewers. If it's a buggy mess or needs to be recharged every two hours (I think both of these are very unlikely), then I'll wait for an update or two.

But I think Palm's (and Sprint's too, though to a lesser degree) utter need for the Pre to be a success means that they are taking their time to do it right. I suspect the Pre will be remarkably bug free at launch.
    There's always something better around the corner, its called progress. If you wait til gen 2 comes out, what about gen 3 and gen 4? Enjoy whats out now and update at your own discretion.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I guess it depends on whether you wish to put your own interests first or Palm, Inc.
    At the risk of seeming heretical, I'm not bound by any allegiance to Palm. After years of using a Palm device, I'm basing my choice on what manufacturer produces a "smartphone that best does what I need.

After all, most of us have had enough frustration with Palm's lack of response to our needs for even the simplest hardware and software product improvements. Things like using a universally available headphone jack and a usb connector instead of a proprietary connector have long been sought by users as well as software updates for previous models that would allow for greater benefits from our existing models.

My S/O's Motorola KRZR has a perfectly working voice dialing feature and from what I can tell the Pre, like all the previous Treo models, doesn't include this absolutely necessary (handsfree being legally required in many states) feature.

Look at the price of the basically simple Pre car adapter on Palm's website. Thirty bucks? You got to be kidding!

I've read tons of complaints about these issues over the years and it's been rare that Palm ever responded to these complaints or requests.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled for the Pre to be a big success, but at the same time I'm prepared for some disappointment. Look at the issues that some of us have with the iPhone. It ain't perfect either.

One way or another, I'm sure that plenty of folks will run right out and get a Pre as fast as possible. I may be one of them.

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    I'm glad lots of people are early adopters. I'll wait until I see what the strength's and weaknesses are, and then figure out how will it fits my needs.

But if it does fit my needs, I probably won't wait very long.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I just go with my gut feeling on getting devices. It hasn't failed me with my TH55, got it day of release and had to make the Circuit City guy get it out of the back, he asked if I wanted to wait for him to put a demo unit out to play with it and I said Give it to me. First Unit and I was in love with it, that same feeling I'm having with the Pre. Day one buy for me.
    no waiting. Buying. ASAP
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    When I saw the PRE at CES (on tv, I didn't go), I immediately eBayed my Diamond, and the 300 i got for it is still sitting in my wallet (in the hiding place my wife can't find), just waiting for the release of the PRE... I think this is the longest I have every held onto the same $300..
    There is a whole rainbow of tolerance levels different people can have for early adoption in electronics.

There are definitely a lot of people that absolutely demand solid performance and relatively bug free right out of the box. Those people should not get the Pre, or any electronics, day one.

True early adopters expect some bugs. They don't mind them, for the most part.

The sad truth is, the biggest beta test is right after the launch of a product. This applies to anything these days.

I simply enjoy having cutting edge technology in my hands and I'm willing to forgive much instability and bugs, for a while, to have it. If you don't agree, don't get it day 1.
    It's just a phone, not a permanent life decision. I'm getting it as soon as it is released. If I hate it (which I doubt), I'll just sell it and get something else.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I am, however, really dreading the inevitable crying and whining about problems all over this forum in it's first couple weeks.
    Beanis Very true. There will be a lot of crying for early adopters in here for a while.

That's why we're here though. To help them.
    I'm waiting, but only because I need a media card, regardless how large the hard drive is. If it had a media card, I would buy it day one. It may be buggy, but it shouldn't be "un-usable" with all the R&D they are doing. The more people doing everything the phone was never designed for, the more bugs they can get worked out ASAP and start working on making the OS more efficient.
    wow, those are your big gripes? Lack of features many mfg's omit to this day. Look at HTC for reference on the 3.5 jack. The proprietary connector ended with the Centro if I'm not mistaken and adapters were/are dirt cheap at this point.

Imagine a company charging premium for an OEM adapter? Who would've thought. You don't know generics are dirt cheap at this point, especially for a microUSB adapter?

Voice dialing would be the only worthy point I could see in your post. At the same time there are a lot of features on a dumbphone that don't carry over to smartphones and vice versa. If you have your phone mounted in the car, you won't get pulled over for hitting a button or two to make a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    After all, most of us have had enough frustration with Palm's lack of response to our needs for even the simplest hardware and software product improvements. Things like using a universally available headphone jack and a usb connector instead of a proprietary connector have long been sought by users as well as software updates for previous models that would allow for greater benefits from our existing models.

My S/O's Motorola KRZR has a perfectly working voice dialing feature and from what I can tell the Pre, like all the previous Treo models, doesn't include this absolutely necessary (handsfree being legally required in many states) feature.

Look at the price of the basically simple Pre car adapter on Palm's website. Thirty bucks? You got to be kidding!

I've read tons of complaints about these issues over the years and it's been rare that Palm ever responded to these complaints or requests.

GeneL
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    If I can get this thing on SERO... my wife will definitely be getting one since she is long out of contract. I got the 800W at launch so I may have to wait to see how much it will cost me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast