Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I personally love living on the "bleeding edge", and I plan on doing the same with the Pre. Do I recommend that non-technical users who do not understand the risks of a brand-new, unproven device run out and buy a Pre on release day? Of course not. But Lord knows I'll be waiting in line eagerly for the Sprint guys at my local store to open the gate so I can be the first guy in my town with a Pre.

Gadget addiction is a serious problem, folks. It's claimed many a geek's life and livelihood.
    It depends on your tolerance for new bugs and glitches, as others have said.

But it's not like those first-generation bugs and glitches are always limited to a very short period of time. A lonnnnng time seemed to go by as I held on to my 650 and watched as 700-series owners pulled their hair out dealing with Palm.

And those were evolutionary steps, not revolutionary ones, like the Pre.

Many of us hope for and expect a very different experience from this device, but the truth is that anything can happen - and "anything" isn't necessarily limited to the short-term.

Now that I think about it, if I'd been one of those people who experienced the 700-series headaches of a year or so, ago, I really think I'd be through with Palm. I'd certainly be through with being the first to dive into the pool.

After recent revelations about the limitations of Classic, I think I'll have to find out more about what else the Pre can and can't do before I give up my 755p's functionality and familiarity.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I am always tempted to have the latest and greatest in technology especially with cell phones but have successfully controlled my early adopter tendencies and will just wait on the sidelines with a box of tissues for the early adopters.
    I was talking to another Pre enthusiast on the phone today... He told me, "Palm better have a completely glitch free launch of this phone we are so excited about."

I just laughed.

I explained to him that if we were both going to get the phone on day 1 then we both better be prepared to work through a lot of glitches. I explained to him that complicated consumer electronics are not launched anymore without the first generation of buyers being beta testers.

Let's just hope that any glitches are software/OS related and not hardware related. (Like the XBox 360)

I'm willing to work through and report bugs to Palm all day, but I sure don't want my phone catching on fire.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well someone had to be the early adopters...
    Of course! I just think that if you don't like having to go through returns and bug fixes, sometimes it's best to wait.

I've seen too many reports of phones going back to the carrier or store that sold them when first released.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I love the fact that I can take it back if it gives me hell. Sorry, xbox, sony, and many others companies don't have returns like cell-phones do. I love my protection plan... If I don't like my phone because its too scratched, the battery is screwed up then I "accidently" loose my phone and get a whole new one! +1 WIN!
    I love lolcats
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    If I don't like my phone because its too scratched, the battery is screwed up then I "accidently" loose [sic] my phone and get a whole new one! +1 WIN!
    Thanks for helping keep prices down for those of us who use the service legitimately.
    One reason that I won't be a day one buyer (but surely a second wave one) is hardware defects. I know the Pre looks gorgeous and everything in the demos we've seen but things can happen when it's mass-produced at first. I got a macbook back when they were first released and it had lots of defects, stuff like overheating problems and plastic discoloration. I had to let my new baby go for nearly a month to Apple to get it fixed. Who knows, maybe some early keyboards will be defective or maybe the sliders will be loose, stuff like that.

Also, I'll wait a while and keep my fingers crossed that someone figures out how to get a Pre on SERO.
    No.

I want the phone, so I'm getting the phone. If I don't like it, I will return it. That's what i did for the Instinct.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thanks for helping keep prices down for those of us who use the service legitimately.
    Virtual Reps/Kudos to that, Kupe! I don't think Insurance Fraud ever did much to benefit an honest man. So much in life could cost so much less if that buffer wasn't required.
    If you're scared, get a dog.

You have 30 days to return it and a 1yr warranty. If there are defects, even hardware ones, you're covered. They won't sit on a hardware glitch or defect like they did with the 700. They need to nip it in the bud.
    I have a dog crogs...

Yet I'm still scared.

It should all pan out well IMO. Now that you put the 1 year warranty stuff out there I am not too freaked out.

I also have the Total replacement stuff. Refurbed units always put a bad taste in my mouth though.
    Isn't that the dog that herds you into your little pen at the end of the day?
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I have a dog crogs...
    Any problems within the 30 days you should demand (and are entitled to a new unit). If it's something that is a continual problem, I would demand a NEW unit until you get one that works right. Beyond that, I wouldn't worry too much about a refurb. You probably won't even have refurbs for quite awhile considering this is a brand new phone. Some little white box phones are actually new, but considering they come in a little white box with nothing else, they're not sold as new. They could be refurbs, but I think you'd have to be towards the end of that first year before refurbs are plentiful. I've actually had good experiences with refurb replacements at least on the Palm side. They always look brand spanking new.

And this has zero to do with insurance. We're talking manufacturing defects which means zero dollars out of your pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Yet I'm still scared.

It should all pan out well IMO. Now that you put the 1 year warranty stuff out there I am not too freaked out.

I also have the Total replacement stuff. Refurbed units always put a bad taste in my mouth though.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I'll decide in June most likely. At least i'll know more info then like if slingbox is approved with apple, etc..or whether to give palm more time.
    LOL..hate to quote myself. But came across this SlingPlayer for iPhone rejected at AT&T’s request? : Boy Genius Report

It pretty much makes my decision easier if true. And not just because of this specific app but about the principle of it. I can't support this wishy washy app approval system and hope Palm/Sprint doesn't follow it.

Here's another link http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._from_att.html
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/16/2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Nah I think I want to get it before I can get it.
    I'm sorry but after all these years I don't see how any of you can stand to wait a second longer. I have got to have webOS now!
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    I'm sorry but after all these years I don't see how any of you can stand to wait a second longer. I have got to have webOS now!
    I can stand to wait because I frankly have no choice but to do so. I'll get it as soon as I can, but in the meantime there's nothing I can do to hasten it's arrival.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Sling(really Echostar now) screwed over their old customers, why even bother considering that app anyway? Even if it were approved, I wouldn't get it. Forcing people to buy new hardware just for one app, when it was proven the old hardware worked just fine, no thanks!!! Then that paltry discount they offered for the new hardware is a joke. You have to get the hardware through them but Amazon is still cheaper, period.

BTW, it's still a rumor that it got denied, Sling claims they didn't hear from Apple.

P.S. AT&T may have motives it seems(besides that network excuse), like pushing their U-Verse app. If so I may not be using that either. I'm really sick of all these companies stiffling reasonable compettion.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/16/2009 at 02:39 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    TPD only people who would care are old customers, those new costumers or those who don't really care to buy new hardware hardly care.

Also even if apple accepts AT&T will probably deny it due to the increase in BW and they have been reporting that AT&T already has some BW issues.

I think there was a artical on broadband reports about the subject actually.
    Well it leads to an obvious question. Why would you want to switch to a network that has bandwidth issues? It's not just slingbox you won't see but any app that would use "too much" 3g. Probably not the whole story anyways.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast