Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    wow, those are your big gripes? Lack of features many mfg's omit to this day. Look at HTC for reference on the 3.5 jack. The proprietary connector ended with the Centro if I'm not mistaken and adapters were/are dirt cheap at this point.

    Imagine a company charging premium for an OEM adapter? Who would've thought. You don't know generics are dirt cheap at this point, especially for a microUSB adapter?

    Voice dialing would be the only worthy point I could see in your post. At the same time there are a lot of features on a dumbphone that don't carry over to smartphones and vice versa. If you have your phone mounted in the car, you won't get pulled over for hitting a button or two to make a call.
    Crogs, you missed my point. It's not about a bunch of individual features, but rather about the lack of Palm's responsiveness to complaints and "reasonable" requests over the years I've owned and followed Palm's 'progress." That has bugged me and I'm sure others as well.

    The price of the OEM adapter further points out Palm's lack of either caring about their customers or a lack of reality, since as you point out, there is a plethora of much cheaper third party products out there.

    Finally Crogs, I wonder if you've ever swerved in traffic when trying to dial a number from your contacts by "hitting a button or two" while driving at freeway speeds? I know that I have and I hate it. It's as bad as texting, which is now illegal while driving in California. Voice dialing is a real solution, so why hasn't Palm adopted this critical feature in its "every model is top of the line" smartphones?

    All that said, I'd be thrilled if the Pre has answers for all my questions when it finally arrives. I've already put my name in for one and will grab one if it meets my needs. Even with their faults, I've preferred my Palm OS Treos and previous Clie to any other operating system.

    We'll see, won't we?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I am, however, really dreading the inevitable crying and whining about problems all over this forum in it's first couple weeks.
    LOL - so true! So, what's it going to be first? The battery or sluggishness? How quick will the first "My Pre is going back!" or "The Pre is a POS!" threads hit??

    BTW - I am really looking forward to SEEING the Pre in person, but like others above I will wait a month or two before I jump on one (personally, I want to see the Touch Pro 2 and the Diamond 2 also as I just got a Touch Pro and I am liking it pretty good). I am in the middle of my current contract, so I would typically buy on eBay and I'll wait until the prices become reasonable. By the time I typically buy all of the kinks are worked out and all of the pertinent hacks have been figured out!
  3. #23  
    It's definitely a try out for 30 for me and i know we'll hear an apple announcement during the period (not great for palm when people might be having some buyer's remorse which is natural).

    I'll decide in June most likely. At least i'll know more info then like if slingbox is approved with apple, etc..or whether to give palm more time.

    One way to look at it is..i've been with apple two years. It'd be sort of a shame not to be able to use it when the software finally gets missing standard features.
  4. #24  
    I haven't spent money on a phone since 2004 when I got my Treo 650 off Ebay for $350. I'm getting it day one.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
  5. #25  
    If anything I can't get it on day one. I'll have to wait for the GSM version anyways.

    And no, I'm not going to to Hell Mobility just for the Pre. So they'd better get the GSM version quick before I get swayed off by another Nokia.
  6. #26  
    Getting it on day one. I've been waiting to replace my phone for way too long. There may be some annoyances but I doubt they'll be show stoppers. I also expect there to be reviews out by then, but I don't expect them to be negative enough to scare me away.
  7. #27  
    I did give you voice dialing. I had it on my i500 (better than any treo IMHO). But I adapted. 90% of my daily numbers are speed dial and one touch to minimize keypresses. It's a rarity to actually dial a number from scratch. Even the i500's voice dialing wasn't completely integrated into the Palm OS so maybe it was more of an OS limitation than anything. Not sure. And I drive about 15-18k/yr.

    EVERY mfg charges a premium for their OEM adapters. Palm is no exception. At least they kept the same adapter connection over the yrs. iPhone owners got a little screwed w/their ipod cables and accessories with the slightly different connection for audio & charging. The Centro's USB cable would even charge from your PC without the AC adapter. Just a shame they didn't figure that one out sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    Crogs, you missed my point. It's not about a bunch of individual features, but rather about the lack of Palm's responsiveness to complaints and "reasonable" requests over the years I've owned and followed Palm's 'progress." That has bugged me and I'm sure others as well.

    The price of the OEM adapter further points out Palm's lack of either caring about their customers or a lack of reality, since as you point out, there is a plethora of much cheaper third party products out there.

    Finally Crogs, I wonder if you've ever swerved in traffic when trying to dial a number from your contacts by "hitting a button or two" while driving at freeway speeds? I know that I have and I hate it. It's as bad as texting, which is now illegal while driving in California. Voice dialing is a real solution, so why hasn't Palm adopted this critical feature in its "every model is top of the line" smartphones?

    All that said, I'd be thrilled if the Pre has answers for all my questions when it finally arrives. I've already put my name in for one and will grab one if it meets my needs. Even with their faults, I've preferred my Palm OS Treos and previous Clie to any other operating system.

    We'll see, won't we?
  8. #28  
    I'm going to get it right away and I'm going to read the manual! Savor every darn word, in fact. What fun to get to see a new interface.
  9.    #29  
    I just had the strangest experience.

    Without knowing how it happened, I suddenly found the I had one of the little "report this post" triangles stuck to my mouse pointer. I did everything that I could think of, but I just couldn't dislodge that little sucker. Worse yet, this problem prevented my mouse clicks from registering.

    I finally had to restart to end the weird "attachment."

    Can anyone tell me how this happened?

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    GeneL
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    I just had the strangest experience.

    Without knowing how it happened, I suddenly found the I had one of the little "report this post" triangles stuck to my mouse pointer. I did everything that I could think of, but I just couldn't dislodge that little sucker. Worse yet, this problem prevented my mouse clicks from registering.

    I finally had to restart to end the weird "attachment."

    Can anyone tell me how this happened?

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    GeneL
    mushrooms?
  11. #31  
    since i'm a "Premier" Sprint customer i get $150 phone credit early on June 1, 2009. if this puppy comes out in April or May i'm TEMPTED to buy it anyway and lose the $150. but i should probably wait the few weeks on general principle AND to hear the reviews and let the possible few bugs get out and get fixed first. i imagine they will be easy OTA fixes anyway.
  12. #32  
    i've never got a phone day 1 in a store. are they going to just be selling the phones there or activating them too. it seems it could be quicker if they just sold the phone and made sure the people were on the right plan, without doing the whole unboxing and activating and instead, people just spent 5 minutes activating via phone or online when they got home..
  13. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #33  
    Please wait, that will increase my chances of getting one on day one!
  14. #34  
    I've said this before but I still think it's wise to wait for the reports from the early adopters. You don't necessarily need to wait for the 2nd generation, but sometimes waiting for the 2nd batch is better.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #35  
    It depends on your personality really. I for one am getting this baby as soon as it drops because I know how to adapt. If it doesn't work properly or it simply isn't a right fit for me I will return it. It's really that simple.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I've said this before but I still think it's wise to wait for the reports from the early adopters. You don't necessarily need to wait for the 2nd generation, but sometimes waiting for the 2nd batch is better.
    Well someone had to be the early adopters...
  17.    #37  
    My dilemma is that if I get a Pre I'll probably have to sign a new two year contract with Sprint. If I find that the Pre doesn't fit my needs I'd be stuck with a long contract and unable to switch carriers.

    Besides having problems with annoying resets on my 755, I've been disappointed with Sprint's lack of coverage where my home is located and other service issues which seem to do with maintaining a reliable connection.

    As far as I know, Verizon is a better provider in my area, but I haven't seen anything else about them that has inspired me to change carriers.

    I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the Pre is like once it's released.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    My dilemma is that if I get a Pre I'll probably have to sign a new two year contract with Sprint. If I find that the Pre doesn't fit my needs I'd be stuck with a long contract and unable to switch carriers.

    Besides having problems with annoying resets on my 755, I've been disappointed with Sprint's lack of coverage where my home is located and other service issues which seem to do with maintaining a reliable connection.

    As far as I know, Verizon is a better provider in my area, but I haven't seen anything else about them that has inspired me to change carriers.

    I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the Pre is like once it's released.
    Simply put, getting the Pre will not help your network problems. Honestly if the service from Sprint is that bad, after the "newness" of the phone wears off you will be very upset with the service even if you are madly in love with the phone.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    Simply put, getting the Pre will not help your network problems. Honestly if the service from Sprint is that bad, after the "newness" of the phone wears off you will be very upset with the service even if you are madly in love with the phone.
    Sassy_Lina, you're absolutely right about that. Up to now, my sticking with Sprint has been an act of balancing the cost of our plan which includes data for a lot less than any of the other providers and that, for the most part, I don't have much faith that service with anyone else would be any better.

    I had similar problems three years ago with ATT/Cingular which was our provider before Sprint.

    It's kind of a lose lose situation.

    As far as the Pre, my most significant use of my smartphone outside of making calls, is as a PIM using Agendus Pro to keep all my appointments and contacts handy and up to date. Everything else is about using the phone as an grown-up's toy, so how well the Pre plays with Entourage on my computers is really the bottom line for me. Everything else is just for fun.

    GeneL
  20. #40  
    For $200 you can get a decent amp that can give your home a nice boost in reception with a well placed antenna. We just bought a couple of them for one coworker's home and for our office. Though none of the carriers are that good at our office. Just one of those locations between towers.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions