Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well my 755 gave up the goast (rainbow screen of death) and went to my old 650 I kept as a backup. Had forgotten how slippery the thing is. Been juggling it around like a wet bar of soap. Now I remember why I had to buy a case for the thing way back when

Sooo, as soon as real people start getting their hands on the Pre, please take a break from being wowed by all the new greatness of it all and see how slippery the darn thing is. It if is anything like the 650, will HAVE to have some sort of case or I will have it flying across the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Well my 755 gave up the goast (rainbow screen of death) and went to my old 650 I kept as a backup. Had forgotten how slippery the thing is. Been juggling it around like a wet bar of soap. Now I remember why I had to buy a case for the thing way back when

Sooo, as soon as real people start getting their hands on the Pre, please take a break from being wowed by all the new greatness of it all and see how slippery the darn thing is. It if is anything like the 650, will HAVE to have some sort of case or I will have it flying across the room.
    If that "rainbow screen of death" is the same thing I experienced, there may be a solution here.

Replacing the battery while holding down the power button might solve it. Then, if it wants to Hotsync, maybe let it.

Let us know if you're able to recover your 755p functionality or not. Good luck.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    If that "rainbow screen of death" is the same thing I experienced, there may be a solution here.

Replacing the battery while holding down the power button might solve it. Then, if it wants to Hotsync, maybe let it.

Let us know if you're able to recover your 755p functionality or not. Good luck.

Thanks but no, tried that and all the other potential fixes, have been a Treo guy since the 300 and, unfortunatly have seen my share of dead treos.

Not the worst timing, I'm eligible for the discount next month so was going to be a Pre-person anyway.
    Since the Pre has a moving part, the sliding keyboard, it would probably be wise not to drop it. Especially, with the keyboard extended.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Since the Pre has a moving part, the sliding keyboard, it would probably be wise not to drop it. Especially, with the keyboard extended.
    I think I've tried not to think about this issue too hard but it was certainly something I was glad to NOT have to worry about when I left clamshells behind, for the Treo line.
    I'm pretty scared of the durability factor too. The thing just looks so snappable.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Thanks but no, tried that and all the other potential fixes, have been a Treo guy since the 300 and, unfortunatly have seen my share of dead treos.

Not the worst timing, I'm eligible for the discount next month so was going to be a Pre-person anyway.
    Sorry to hear that. It didn't work for me the first (few?) times, but eventually, my 755p came back to life.
    I am not really too worried about all that, I have had my Sprint Touch for a year and a half and have never dropped it. I am pretty careful with it to begin with.

My friend on the other hand is a different story. He dropped his iPhone and caused a big scratch in the middle of the screen. He then got a diamond and dropped it quite a few times as well, it still works though. My other friend was really tough on her Blackberry. The left side trim is completely gone, most of the paint is gone, the screen has dust in it, and the keys of the keyboard are jiggeling all over the place...but it still works!
    My Blackberry has stood up to about 4 drops. Still in great condition.

The day I drop my Pre and have it snap in half will be a really bad day for the Goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    My Blackberry has stood up to about 4 drops. Still in great condition.

The day I drop my Pre and have it snap in half will be a really bad day for the Goat.
    Insurance Insurance Insurance! You might get a Goat discount!?
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Insurance Insurance Insurance! You might get a Goat discount!?
    I have the insurance. I haven't had to deal with it yet though. Do they give you a new phone right when you walk into the store?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    I have the insurance. I haven't had to deal with it yet though. Do they give you a new phone right when you walk into the store?
    The deductible went up from 50 to 100 dollars. You get to wait for it, and it lands up being a refurb.
    This is a pretty good question, I've had my Treo 700wx slip out of my hand or fall off my couch many a time and the worst that happened was the battery cover popping off and the battery flying out. Now I'll have a phone with movable parts, maybe for once I'll actually need to use my insurance.
    The deductible went up from 50 to 100 dollars. You get to wait for it, and it lands up being a refurb.
    Eck. That really stinks. Better than nothing I suppose.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Eck. That really stinks. Better than nothing I suppose.
    I am not sure if they will give you a cheap loaner just to have a phone until the replacement arrives. My Touch had a leaky screen that caused an oil slick to show up in the middle of the screen. As a result, the START button in the upper left hand corner was very hard to press. I got the phone replaced but it took 2 days to get to the store. And yeah, it's a refurb (I checked by punching in a code), but it's been working fine so far.

Better double check with your local Sprint store though.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    What would be really cool is a rubber case similar to this but that slides exactly like the Pre does. I was thinking that the screen part can be attached to the main part via two aluminum frames that serve to make it rigid, and have rails on it to slide and keep it together at the same time.
    Also, if you opt for the Touchstone, the compatible back cover has the same soft-touch coating as the 755p.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    This is one advantage of Verizon. No deductible. They also tend to send refurbs, but they've always been in excellent shape, IME.
    i replaced a phone about a month ago with Sprint and the deductable was still 50 bucks
    I really don't get y someone would bother getting insurance when the deductible is $100. Unless you need a phone replaced every few years, then its absolutely not worth it. With my Treoo 700p I didn't have it insured and got it replaced anyways with a 755p when the whole firmware update problem happened. Unless you drop or lose your phone regularly, the insurance price can't be justified. There will likely be new versions of the Pre yearly just like the iphone, so if you can manage to not jack it up in a year then there will be another one around the corner to upgrade to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast