Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    I like this part:
    But the Palm reps told me that Pre users could simply use Google Calendar, Yahoo Calendar, Outlook's scheduler or presumably even Apple's iCal instead — and it'd all show up on the Pre. I guess that's nice, though I'd really just prefer to stick with the old Palm desktop.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Did he get a leak? He also says he thinks the phone will be "around $200"
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    He's guesstimating like the rest of us...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Pretty good article. I can't believe the guy said he misses a stylus....uh...he doesn't get the concept behind the UI then...that there is no stylus needed.

Also... he says that the Pre will support all IM clients and listed them...that would be great, but so far, they only mentioned Google Talk, right?

Interesting comments about the keyboard....guess that's a matter of personal preference, but I know it will take some getting used to.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I think they mentioned AIM and Live as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    He's guesstimating like the rest of us...
    I agree... anyone here could have written that article.

I saw a phone for 10 minutes, and it is great!

I'd rather read the stuff from our friendly neighborhood moderator... he spent more time with the phone that actually resulted in juicy details being released. That is reporting!!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I agree... anyone here could have written that article.

I saw a phone for 10 minutes, and it is great!

I'd rather read the stuff from our friendly neighborhood moderator... he spent more time with the phone that actually resulted in juicy details being released. That is reporting!!!!
    Personally I thought it was nice to hear from someone outside of the loop. Nothing ever wrong with hearing another angle from someone! And he actually brought up some good stuff.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Personally I thought it was nice to hear from someone outside of the loop. Nothing ever wrong with hearing another angle from someone! And he actually brought up some good stuff.
    This is true... guess I am looking something major being released...

I searched but did not find "new" information in the article.

Good post on your part, either way...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    That was a little bit of my point with my post. Everyone here that drinks the kool aid and says others are in the dark ages for what we want saying we're just a small segment of users is a bit mistaken. In ways people on here are different than some typical users, but I think we typify many users that just don't care enough to be on forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Manny, in regards to the stylus... You don't get it. I don't understand why people are so in love with a finger touch only screen. It is imprecise plain and simple. It is possible to be off especially when things are grouped close together. Simple pinpoint precision of a pinpoint stylus is pretty nice. Take away a d-pad or roller ball and you lose precision there as well. There's simply tradeoffs between the two types of touchscreens, and capacative ones just happen to have some more dynamic features (multitouch, movement gestures and such) than resistive ones. There's still features you lose by going to one. I think touch is overrated and gimmicky. But it's apparently necessary if you want to take advantage of the other features offered by the new generation of phones.
    I try to stay away from the finger as much as possible, as the screen gets really dirty from the work I do.

Manny, in regards to the stylus... You don't get it. I don't understand why people are so in love with a finger touch only screen. It is imprecise plain and simple. It is possible to be off especially when things are grouped close together. Simple pinpoint precision of a pinpoint stylus is pretty nice. Take away a d-pad or roller ball and you lose precision there as well. There's simply tradeoffs between the two types of touchscreens, and capacative ones just happen to have some more dynamic features (multitouch, movement gestures and such) than resistive ones. There's still features you lose by going to one. I think touch is overrated and gimmicky. But it's apparently necessary if you want to take advantage of the other features offered by the new generation of phones.
    Oh no...I get it....I have a Sprint Touch with resistive screen, and I have trained myself to never use the stylus. All it takes is some practice. I tried using a Stylus on occasion and I don't have any better results using it compared to using my well trained fingers. Any method of input requires practice, and since I forced myself to not use the stylus (except for doing soft resets), I really can completely live without it. My point though was, just like with the iPhone, the whole UI is tailor made to be used with the finger in mind. Your target areas are bigger, things are spaced apart for easy targeting, you can tell a lot of thought went into it. Looking at Windows Mobile on the other hand, or Palm OS for that matter, and everything is tiny, made for the stylus.

I don't find touchscreens gimicky at all. Get used to it, and it's just like the mouse on a desktop PC. Would you rather use the cursor keys to navigate Windows (or a Mac for that matter)? I think not. Touchscreens are not a gimmick at all. I bet the mouse took some getting used to also back in the day when it was introduced to the keyboard hugging DOS junkies, but life without a mouse is unimaginable. I have played with some of my friends Windows Mobile Standard phones...and wow, what a pain to navigate that compared to a touchscreen.

And anyone that wants to avoid using your finger on the screen... don't buy a Pre...because you won't get very far until you get those special type Stylus that work with capacitive screens.
    I think some are just willing to accept certain trade offs to have new technology. And the Pre has many trade offs as well as unique and interesting benefits. Trying to play something like Sudoku with all the little numbers to select. Webages with multiple fields and options spaced close together. Not everything you do is designed for the GUI. Websites could care less.
    I think some are just willing to accept certain trade offs to have new technology. And the Pre has many trade offs as well as unique and interesting benefits. Trying to play something like Sudoku with all the little numbers to select. Webages with multiple fields and options spaced close together. Not everything you do is designed for the GUI. Websites could care less.
    As far as websites go...that's what zooming is good for.

Games like Sudoku....the developer is developing the game with the Pre in mind, so I am sure they will adjust the UI accordingly.
    I also think that a capacative touch screen is the most efficient way of navigation on a smartphone.

Much better than the trackball or stylus. It may take some getting used to, but I can't wait to ditch this stupid trackball.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I also think that a capacative touch screen is the most efficient way of navigation on a smartphone.

Much better than the trackball or stylus. It may take some getting used to, but I can't wait to ditch this stupid trackball.
    I bet it's full of hoof marks!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Personoly I think it is all what we get used to, I started with Palm back in the day of the IIIe, I got used to using a stylis, then moved ot a 300, and got used to the keyboard, then got some samsung the I500 I think, could not get used to the phone type keyboard, got a 650, then a Centro, I now have an HTC Touch, getting used to the onboard keyboard whas a chore but now I like it better then the one on the Centro, anyway my son has a Windows mobile smart phone, he never had a touch screen, he loves it, and has no problem navigating, so I hink it is all what you get used to, and perhaps what you are willing to give up.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I agree! I bet it's gonna be in a movie where some dude is tied up in a chair in some basement and he drops to the floor and uses his nose to dial for help on the touch screen. [yeah i tested typing on a capacitive touch screen with my nose LOL ]
    This article is a great simple overview for people who like cell-phones but are not the obsessed like we are.

Because it's fox news, it has a great audience, and has good amount of praise. This is a perfect time for Fox news to release this article when sprint is beginning to hype the phone for its ACTUAL release
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Pretty good article. I can't believe the guy said he misses a stylus....uh...he doesn't get the concept behind the UI then...that there is no stylus needed.
    As crogs has said, precision can be key.

Spreadsheets are a great example of the value of physical (not just fiscal) precision.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast