1.    #1  
    What I'm getting at is this: I hope to get the Pre as soon as it's available. I plan on using whatever discounts are available, contract renewal, upgrade, premier status. But, before I decommission my 755, I need to find, implement and test reliable replacements or new solutions to PIM synchronization,(cloud and hopefully local) including memos. I use my 755 for business and personal and I really need a seamless transition to this new platform. So, I'd like to buy the Pre and slowly transition to it, trying out new and apps and sync solutions while still using my 755 as my daily device. I have WiFi at home and work, so I would hope the Pre would be functional (sans phone) with only WiFi. Do others have thoughts on this issue?
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Microsoft Exchange... that is my thought.

Step from the 755 directly into the pre without missing a beat.

Switch your memos to notes and keep it moving...

Heck, I switch phones all the time and don't have an issue... I don't have an issue with any computer or phone that I pickup as long as I can load Microsoft Exchange on it... which is everything I use.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'm not as tied to my phone as you are. I use a blackberry pearl, and I'll tell you what I plan to do, and then maybe give you an idea of what I would do in your situation.

1st off, I keep all of my information on my microSD card. I weekly sync my contacts and calendar to my computer. I will put all my information from my SD card on to my computer as well. So when I get my pre, all I need to do is get my contacts from my computer to my pre, and also be able to sync my pictures and what not.

Now if I were you, I would buy the pre, but I wouldn't start using it until you can take a weeks worth of time to transition applications and contacts/calendar events to your pre. The classic app of course is going to be a life safer for you, but we don't know yet what palmOS apps are going to be able to switch over

But I don't see why sprint won't let you buy the phone but then stick with the treo for a little while, is your phone on a business line? They love workin with you folks to that right
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Microsoft Exchange... that is my thought.

Step from the 755 directly into the pre without missing a beat.

Switch your memos to notes and keep it moving...

Heck, I switch phones all the time and don't have an issue... I don't have an issue with any computer or phone that I pickup as long as I can load Microsoft Exchange on it... which is everything I use.
    I believe somewhere there is an article that Microsoft exchange will not work, but that there will be a program to take things from exchange, to google, to the pre... I may have my facts incorrect. Maybe someone can clarify for me.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    I believe somewhere there is an article that Microsoft exchange will not work, but that there will be a program to take things from exchange, to google, to the pre... I may have my facts incorrect. Maybe someone can clarify for me.
    No, I recall that Microsoft Exchange was expressly listed by Palm as being compatible with the Pre. But that's not my issue. It's whether a Pre can funtion, ie access the cloud, snynergy, add apps and so forth, with WiFi only. My concern is that Sprint will somehow deviously make WiFi use cell dependent, kind of like they did with GPS on the 800 and was/is rumored on the Pre.
  6.    #6  
    You do know that the Pre will not have SD card, right?

I'm not as tied to my phone as you are. I use a blackberry pearl, and I'll tell you what I plan to do, and then maybe give you an idea of what I would do in your situation.

1st off, I keep all of my information on my microSD card. I weekly sync my contacts and calendar to my computer. I will put all my information from my SD card on to my computer as well. So when I get my pre, all I need to do is get my contacts from my computer to my pre, and also be able to sync my pictures and what not.

Now if I were you, I would buy the pre, but I wouldn't start using it until you can take a weeks worth of time to transition applications and contacts/calendar events to your pre. The classic app of course is going to be a life safer for you, but we don't know yet what palmOS apps are going to be able to switch over

But I don't see why sprint won't let you buy the phone but then stick with the treo for a little while, is your phone on a business line? They love workin with you folks to that right
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    You do know that the Pre will not have SD card, right?
    Of course, that's why I said I will transfer all my information from my SD card to my computer 1st. Then from there I will transfer it to my lovely beautiful fresh new sexy awesome spectacular pre.
    what would sprint care if you activate it or not? Just a simple, "I don't want it activated until I get everything transitioned over." should suffice. If it's ordered and shipped you wouldn't have to say a word.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Yes, you are wrong. Microsoft Exchange is supported. What is unsure is desktop Outlook syncing.
    It's whether a Pre can funtion, ie access the cloud, snynergy, add apps and so forth, with WiFi only. My concern is that Sprint will somehow deviously make WiFi use cell dependent, kind of like they did with GPS on the 800 and was/is rumored on the Pre.
    Don't be concerned... you will be able to make use of wifi and access local sync without having to use "the cloud."

Obviously the Pre and 800 are two different devices... different OSs and all. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    No, I recall that Microsoft Exchange was expressly listed by Palm as being compatible with the Pre. But that's not my issue. It's whether a Pre can funtion, ie access the cloud, snynergy, add apps and so forth, with WiFi only. My concern is that Sprint will somehow deviously make WiFi use cell dependent, kind of like they did with GPS on the 800 and was/is rumored on the Pre.
    Wifi and GPS are totally different tech in the phone. On the GPS, ya, it might use the towers also or some chips can't work without the use of the towers. But Wifi is a standalone thing and will not be dependent on the towers, that would be self defeating purpose I would think. You use wifi when you don't want to use your EVDO data. So yes, you should be good to go for the wifi only 2 see how it works for you. Plus, you will still have like 14 days to return the phone even if you have to activate it.
  12.    #12  
    If this guy is right, then NO you cannot buy the Pre and use it off the Sprint grid:
    "Remember that the Pre phone requires a data plan to activate the phone, and this is a system function that is unable to be bypassed." "Remember, the account must be active and the phone must be provisioned before the phone will begin the First Use experience. The customer must complete First Use and agree to the Palm Terms and Conditions. If the customer does not complete these steps, the phone will not work. If the customer does not want to complete the step0.0.0s, he/she can return it to the place of purchase."
    Some Palm Pre Questions Inside Sprint Now
    My concern is that Sprint will somehow deviously make WiFi use cell dependent, kind of like they did with GPS on the 800 and was/is rumored on the Pre.
    For precision wifi being hypothetically dependent came up as a counter argument, a hypothtical example, to Palm and Sprint's occasional assertion on the 800w GPS Standalone issue that "no one woudl expect to use the handset off the network anyway."

People naturally responded by noting that most of the functions and features on these $600 devices were not inherently carrier network dependent, the camera wasn't, the mp3 playback wasn't, use of the net wasn't given wifi, etc -- and most glaringly why did the phone have wifi if it was never expected to be used off network -- and how would people feel if the wifi had some kind of carrier network interrogation requirement before use.

So it was not a reality, not a technical likelihood (although we have seen especially Verizon cripple certain standards to keep people on paying network function such as instructing motorola to terminate bluetooth ability to send files over bluetooth in some phone models in the past) on any handset. It was just a logical example.

On standalone GPS and the Pre, it is more likely Pre will have standalone GPS (the ability to quire and maintain gps position with no carrier network). We simply can't believe any assertion of this by Palm 100% until they are tested by users since Palm does not accept the definition that is otherwise universally accepted by all other makers, GPS trade publications and GPS and phone engineers.

The real quesition on GPS and Pre are:
    1) whether the sdk and api allow for easy integration witl LBS (location based service) programs made by theird party developers, and the answer is probably yes
    2) whether there will be as an alternate to Sprints Telenav service, full featured GPS navigation programs like Garmin or TomTom in the first couple for years of webOS and the answer is almost certainly not.

So to get ack to the OP questions, the only question is on discounts. Sprint just need to watch for gray markets created by the ability of people to get deep discounts and then cancel for a $150 penalty. In other words if cost to Sprint is $400 (and I think it will be less), and they are selling for $200 discounted by Sprint, they could be on ebay for around $350 to $370. Sprint would be losing money in that case, and this would be even more damaging to sprint there were limited suplly