1.    #1  
    I remember reading that at CES it was not, but demonstrators said they were prototypes and it would.

Does anyone know if the latest models shown are spring loaded on the slider, or if the plan is to have them be?
    That would be really cool, if it were spring loaded.
    if it were spring loaded there would have to be some type of locking mechanism
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Nope, it's not spring loaded, lemme find the link to the info, will post it as well...

Palm Pre: The Definitive FAQ - Gizmodo Australia
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Probably not.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    In Gizmodo we trust... (or is that google?)
    Other than the phone in the Matrix, are there any slide-out keyboard phones that are spring loaded?

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Other than the phone in the Matrix, are there any slide-out keyboard phones that are spring loaded?

like this one?

I don't know if this will be such a killer feature for the pre. What part of the phone would you hold when the other part pops open? I think it just doesn't work with the pre design.
  9.    #9  
    I think maybe I didn't mean spring loaded. I don't mean you push a button and it pops out, like a switchblade.

What I'm talking about is built in tension for pulling it open and closing it, so it 'snaps' open and closed. Pretty much all of HTC's slide keyboards do this. I'm wondering if the Pre behaves the same way.

Someone was saying long ago at CES that those models basically just pulled open and closed with no tension at all -- so it was just like moving plastic.

In other words, if it's spring loaded like I'm hoping, it should be very difficult to open the keyboard half way.
    Some of the CITA demo video certainly look spring loaded. It really seems to fly open now, while in some of the older videos with the older revision demo units it seems slower and to require more effort.
    I noticed that at well. On some of the latest video it seems to snap out pretty quickly.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre