1.    #1  
    CTIA: Palm Pre walkthrough tnkgrl Mobile

Not sure if this was posted before, and I haven't watched it yet...but since there's really nothing else new, it's something to do I guess.
    Watching...

He says the cards always stay in portrait orientation. Didn't they also work in landscape during CES?
    Seems like they did, but maybe it was only the Browser.
    'The beautiful thing' is that the Palm Pre is 'inspired by nature'. It's 'organic' and 'polished' like a 'river stone' Lol Palm reps always say use these descriptions for the Pre.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    Yikes the accelerometer got stuck while playing with the browser.

Very interesting, the guy asked if there was a youtube app, and the rep said "Um, I should probably hold off on that".
    He confirms they'll be a stereo headset w/ mic that comes with the Pre. I hope it also has music controls.
    Interesting. He says you have to put zip code in the Fandango app and "future versions" might use GPS to find your location.

Total contradiction from other videos.

Edit: He talks about how Sprint has "everything plans" and palm really recommends them so you don't have to worry about date. A clear indicator that this guy has never heard anything about forced plans.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Interesting. He says you have to put zip code in the Fandango app and "future versions" might use GPS to find your location.

I remember another video that says it does use GPS, but you can change that by putting in a zip code or something to get different locations.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Edit: He talks about how Sprint has "everything plans" and palm really recommends them so you don't have to worry about date. A clear indicator that this guy has never heard anything about forced plans.
    I think that's because you don't always buy movie tickets for where you are. If I'm in Grapevine, TX and I want to buy tickets for later in the evening when I'm in Plano, TX, then I would not want it to use GPS.
    it seems pretty obvious from watching all these demo videos that the majority of the time the people demoing are idiots. the ones that aren't actually palm/sprint high-ups probably get paid $6 an hour and had one day of training or something. it seems like they've never used a smartphone before and when they're asked questions they don't know the answer to they'll either act like it's some big secret rather than just say they don't know because they're stupid or they make up an answer because they don't know and they're stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by PredatoryWasp86 View Post
    it seems pretty obvious from watching all these demo videos that the majority of the time the people demoing are idiots. the ones that aren't actually palm/sprint high-ups probably get paid $6 an hour and had one day of training or something. it seems like they've never used a smartphone before and when they're asked questions they don't know the answer to they'll either act like it's some big secret rather than just say they don't know because they're stupid or they make up an answer because they don't know and they're stupid.
    Yeah that's what Palm wants. An intern getting paid $6 an hour to demo their comeback into the handheld market.

And I'm so glad that it'll come with a headset in the box. I've never been one to use bluetooth as I think it's still pretty unreliable (plus having ANOTHER thing to charge is just ridiculous) but I always use the headset that came with my 755p. This just keeps on getting better.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Watching...

He says the cards always stay in portrait orientation. Didn't they also work in landscape during CES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Seems like they did, but maybe it was only the Browser.
    You're mostly right. From all the Demo's I've seen the only thing that goes to landscape when in Card view are the ones that can switch to landscape in normal view. Browser, Photo's, etc. I think this is since they're live apps they've let the accelerometer function even in card view.

If I remember what I've seen, you can still move the cards around while in landscape, etc, but it doesn't change the entire UI to make everything look right.

Really disappointing for me. Its a feature I hated not seeing on the iPhone and one of the things I greatly like about WinMo.
  13.    #13  
    I finally watched that video. That guy didn't really seem completely comfortable with the device. And yeah, I did notice the thing about Fandango... but that's a 3rd party app, so maybe that's why he wasn't sure about the GPS thing.
    Yeah, that wasn't one of the better demo's as far as the Palm Rep knowing about the device. But I can imagine its hard to know what will end up in the finished product while they are still working on it.

Also what was that whole dicussion about T9 support. Got to be kidding that the "kids" will need or want that with a phone with a full keyboard. Also I dont think to many teens will be running out to get the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by PredatoryWasp86 View Post
    They are Palm employees. Project Managers, engineers etc. It is not that they dont know anything about the device, it is that they have strict limits to what they can and cant reveal and strict instruction about how they phrase their descriptions of the device and its features.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    They are Palm employees. Project Managers, engineers etc. It is not that they dont know anything about the device, it is that they have strict limits to what they can and cant reveal and strict instruction about how they phrase their descriptions of the device and its features.
    Still interesting to watch as many videos as possible and compare what one demo guy said compared to what the next guy says.

Case in point, Amazon and Fandango.

Amazon: CES.... I distincly remember one of the demo people streaming a sample of a song using the Amazon store app. At CTIA, Tim Pettit said he didn't know if that would work or not.

Fandang: Tim Pettit says it uses GPS, the dude in this 45 minute video says you gotta put the zip code in.

*shrugs*
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    The palm rep in that video also said:
    1) It has a 1150 mAh battery
    2) The processor is a TI OMAP 3430