Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Does the Pre have an accelerometer to work w/the GPS?

Justin
    You mentioned accelerometer in the Telenav GPS thread you started, and I have no idea what you're referring to it's usage for there either.

Yes, the Pre has an accelerometer, it's what makes the screen rotate (in some applications) when you turn it to landscape view.

If you're talking about to see the speed you're moving at or something like that, every GPS program that I know of calculates that based on how fast your position changes.

Otherwise, I have absolutely no idea what you're getting at.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    He might be refering to a g-force type program where you can calculate drag forces and RPM's in a car. I've seen one in IPHONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgassaway View Post
    Does the Pre have an accelerometer to work w/the GPS?

Justin
    Not confusing intertial navigation with GPS navigation are you?
    Yes it must have.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I think he's really asking about a compass for the GPS, like the G1 has (which lets you use Google Maps' Street View by just tilting the device to the side and turning towards each side of the street). If that's the case, we don't know yet, but the fact that Palm hasn't mentioned it certainly doesn't give us any reason to think so.
    A compass would be neat, and if it exists for the G1, I don't think there's any reason to assume it won't happen for the Pre (nor is there reason to assume it will).

An IMU is kind of an interesting one--I doubt it's necessary since the GPS accuracy is good enough for navigating a car. I also doubt it's feasible as a good IMU is fairly expensive. Unless the Pre was designed with IMU in mind, it's doubtful that it would work well, even if it has a 3-axis accelerometer (I don't know how many axes it has).
    I think someone has asked Palm about the compass and they said no, though I could be wrong.
    Just fire up your PalmOS emulator, then run Sun Compass.

Doesn't work so good at night...
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lewko View Post
    Just fire up your PalmOS emulator, then run Sun Compass.

Doesn't work so good at night...
    I hope you're kidding :P
    And you, are you kidding, asking if he's kidding?

Bring on The Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think someone has asked Palm about the compass and they said no, though I could be wrong.
    I seem to recall hearing the same thing in one of the early CES demo videos.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers