Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Guys, this will be my first step into the world of smartphones, so I don't have much history about all of their functions. What I want to know is it possible to have macros? What I would like to do is be able to come home and pull out my phone and, say, hit a 'Home' button that turns the ringer on, turns off GPS, and then turns on Bluetooth. Then when I leave for work, hit another button that turns on GPS, turns off Bluetooth, and then set the ringer to vibrate. Basically do multiple functions at once with the touch of a button. Does this function exist on current phones?
    If you have GPS on the phone, I'm thinking it can do it automatically based on your location. I remember a Palm based app did some stuff based on GPS or cell tower location.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Guys, this will be my first step into the world of smartphones, so I don't have much history about all of their functions. What I want to know is it possible to have macros? What I would like to do is be able to come home and pull out my phone and, say, hit a 'Home' button that turns the ringer on, turns off GPS, and then turns on Bluetooth. Then when I leave for work, hit another button that turns on GPS, turns off Bluetooth, and then set the ringer to vibrate. Basically do multiple functions at once with the touch of a button. Does this function exist on current phones?
    It would even be better to have the GPS do all that for you once it finds you have reached home (of course, you'd have to leave it on, but... that is whatthe charging puck is for!).

Sound like something a 3rd party developer would be working on - like a new Web OS Butler.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Sound like something a 3rd party developer would be working on - like a new Web OS Butler.
    I like that term. Web OS Butler!

I'm guessing that this functionality doesn't currently exist?

Can't take credit for it - ther was a "Treo Butler" that had many useful features like turning the alarms sounds on or off depending on the time of the day etc.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)

probably not....

but you know i was really wondering if it would toast pop tarts while i'm sleeping so i can wake up to the smell of wild berry
    Smartphones are supposed to be a lot easier to use than that. For example, it's expected that your phone will automatically switch to WiFi when available. It's expected that it will look for and recognize your bluetooth devices when they are available like car and headset. GPS is usually always on but it depends on the OS whether it will allow apps to broadcast it (good for map functions and finding restaurants, bad for privacy).

Supposedly, the Pre is designed to be even better at this than current smartphones. The word "Pre" comes from the fact that it is thinking ahead. We'll see what this really means when the device is launched. It's an easy claim to make - "This phone knows what you want to do" but much harder to actually implement.

I mean, when you buy a movie ticket on Fandango, do you really need it to show up on your schedule? If it's noon and I'm driving around town, will it pop up some nearby restaurants that I might like?
    Stop reading my mind! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    It would even be better to have the GPS do all that for you once it finds you have reached home (of course, you'd have to leave it on, but... that is whatthe charging puck is for!).

Aux contrairer, mon freré! Butler + Power Hero would combine to do for the Treos most if not all of what the OP's looking for w/ the PrPrPré. $Both$ $of$ $these$ $progs$ $were$ $dev$, $by$ $the$ $same$ $person$/$company$.

Quote Originally Posted by PredatoryWasp86 View Post
    probably not....

but you know i was really wondering if it would toast pop tarts while i'm sleeping so i can wake up to the smell of wild berry
    This brings up the issue of how Palm imagines we'll all use the Pre. We still know so little about how "Synergy" is supposed to work. Will there be a way for each user to configure it to suit his/her own lifestyle? Is there a way for the Pre to "learn" our preferences, like "AI"?? Sounds unrealistic to me. I know that my lifestyle is not in the "fat middle", unless you're actually talking about my waistline.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I think a lot of that is going to be up to the developers. Like when Pandora built their app and how they used the notification system.

But in my examples above, I don't think the standard SDK is going to give access to the hardware.
    Location based Profiles would be a nice feature.

Home: Turn ringer on. Turn WiFi on. Turn BlueTooth off.
    Work: Turn ringer off. Turn Wifi on. Turn BlueTooth off.
    Away: Turn ringer on. Turn Wifi off. Turn BlueTooth on.

Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by PredatoryWasp86 View Post
    probably not....

Get one of those new wifi toasters and you could probably program an app to do that for you!

http://blog.symbian.org/2009/04/01/s...ter-announced/
    I think a lot of that is going to be up to the developers. Like when Pandora built their app and how they used the notification system.

But in my examples above, I don't think the standard SDK is going to give access to the hardware.
    They've clearly said the SDK has APIs to use the hardware, so it could easily know your location to see whether you're at home or work or whatever. Whether that means that it can CONTROL the hardware (ie turn off Bluetooth, etc.) remains to be seen.