Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I was thinking about this today, and I guess I'm not sure how its gonna work... My most convenient feature on the Treo is the ability to use speed dial on ANY of the buttons on the qwerty pad. It's super easy... u hold down 1, it calls voicemail, hold down 2 it calls someone else... etc. Is there going to be some really easy speed dial method without whipping out the keyboard every time u want to make a call?
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Why is everyone making a big deal out of sliding out the keyboard? You can do it one handed! Instead of holding it in your hand with your thumb on the screen, you move the screen up with out thumb and there is a keyboard. Probably takes 1 Kalorie of energy to do this and .5 seconds. If I can speed dial with one hand that is all i need. I take the phone out..I slide up the screen to reveal a keyboard and hold any button for a second and a call or app is opening, that is perfect for me. Its no look which is a huge thing for me as well...gotta stay safe while driving
    why does everyone with a different opinion have to tell everyone else what they like, want or feel is wrong, dumb, archeic or unnecessary?
    speed dial could possibly be implemented into the wave launcher

and in doing so automatically calls w/in current app and activates speaker phone
    They can implement something similar to the iPhone method, in which you double click the home button and it brings up the speed dial list.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It looked like there was an option for a on screen keypad.

I know they could do it akin to Windows Mobile, which could allow you in contacts to designate a contact as a number for speed dial.

If possible, then you could possibly do it both on the keyboard or the screen.

It seems like it'd be an obvious option to have speed dial.
    Maybe it's just me, but i kinda like the picture speed dial home screen like the treo 700W had.
  8. r2m
    It seems every few days a thread pops up asking about a feature we have no information on how to answer. Be patient
    Quote Originally Posted by r2m View Post
    It seems every few days a thread pops up asking about a feature we have no information on how to answer. Be patient
    This was one of my very first questions asked in the mega sticky Q&A thread, back in January.

(It still has not been answered)
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but i kinda like the picture speed dial home screen like the treo 700W had.
    that is pretty awesome.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Why is everyone making a big deal out of sliding out the keyboard? You can do it one handed! Instead of holding it in your hand with your thumb on the screen, you move the screen up with out thumb and there is a keyboard. Probably takes 1 Kalorie of energy to do this and .5 seconds. If I can speed dial with one hand that is all i need. I take the phone out..I slide up the screen to reveal a keyboard and hold any button for a second and a call or app is opening, that is perfect for me. Its no look which is a huge thing for me as well...gotta stay safe while driving
    I agree its not a huge effort, but the way I think of it is when it's in my car holster i'm not picturing how the keyboard is gonna slide out. I just can't picture how its gonna work cause I'm so used to my 755p.

And yea, to everyone thinking i'm making a big deal about it... trust me I'm not. I brought it up, cause honestly I don't have anything else to talk about anymore with the Pre. If I had one in hand right now I'm sure i'd have plenty of stuff to say, but until then, I'm just wondering how things will be implemented. If you don't like the thread, then sorry, but its really not a big deal.
    I like the speculation and wondering--I think it's fun.
    If Palm really wanted to be cool, they could allow speed dial to operate from the keyboard with the device off (unless opening the slider turns it on, which I'm not sure of). I think this is actually more efficient than what happens on my 755p. Now I have to take it out, hit the phone button, hit the keyguard button, (which sometimes takes a few moments), and then hold my speed dial key. With the Pre, you could take it out, open slider, and immediately hold the speed dial key. The keys could be active while the device is off since they can be covered up. That should produce a faster response time. The user wouldn't have to be certain that the device is on before pushing the speed dial key. The action of the slider could take the place of unlocking (moving the icon out of the circle) too.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 04/09/2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Maybe it'll have voice dialing via bluetooth headset and you won't have to touch the Pre at all.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Maybe it'll have voice dialing via bluetooth headset and you won't have to touch the Pre at all.
    Awesome! A touchscreen device that you don't ever have to touch!

For the record, I don't use a bluetooth device, and I find voice dialing annoying. I want a good picture speed dial.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    You could roll your own speed dial pretty easily by gaming the Universal Search functionality: Just insert a hashtag like #1, #2, and so on in front of the names of the contacts you want rapid access to, and then you can rapidly pull them up from wherever by hitting the center button and typing in the hashtag of the person you want to call. You might even be able to get away with just putting the tag in the Comments or Notes field of the contact if the Search indexes those. A bit of a messy implementation, but eh, hackers will always find a way to get something done.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    that is pretty awesome.
    TAKEphONE for the PalmOS has a similar feature they call I-Bar.

ShSh Software
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    the speaddial on the treo / centro really is a great feature. I never dial a number, or search for a number, for my immediate family and friends. I will miss it w the pre, but i also expect the pre to offer it's own version of speed dial.

we will wait and see
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    You are 19 minutes late for your staff meeting! ;-)
    My onscreen pad does not speeddial on my Centro, which seemed odd to me. So just because there is an onscreen dial pad doesn't mean there's speeddial built in. Tho' that would be pretty weird again, to leave out.
    Speed dial is a pretty basic feature. Even the cheapest disposable phone offers it now. I think it highly unlikely Palm has missed the boat on it. How it will work is anyone's guess, but I'm sure it'll be there.

If not, Palm's in big trouble, because if they missed that they probably missed a whole lot of other things, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast