Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8gb - $199

29 29.29%
  • 16gb - $299

70 70.71%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking that with iPhone's possible bump to 32gb in June, it would be good for Palm to announce a 16gb version. I'm somehow thinking that they will, and always have been thinking about it, but wanted to wait to announce it to see what Apple did.

Anyways, which would you guys get?

Let's say, $199 and $299 w/ 2 year.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    8GB is plenty of space for what I do.
    I'd get a $300 16GB one myself, but I don't see it happening.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I'd get the 16gb, I'm going to want to throw a good amount of music, video, pics and apps on this thing. Really don't want to worry about managing storage space. I'm already tight on my current device with 8 GB, and that's using an additional 4GB microSD for email attachments and most applications. And currently the vids I'm storing/playing on it are only QVGA, I'll increase them to HVGA when I switch to the Pre so I'll really need the extra storage then.
    I'll take a 16GB for $250 or $275.
    $299 pricepoint is the same as the iphone, though Amazon has it for $285. I'd probably spring for it. How about 8gb + microSDHC slot?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    They really need to just make it 16 and be done with it. Flash memory is dirt cheap, the difference between buying 8 and 16 for the pre will be a tiny fraction of the total cost.
    A nice thing would be $250 16GB subsidized to undercut the iPhone.

I see Krod301 had the same idea. $275 is a good price too!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/07/2009 at 01:56 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Here is the thing, given that the device will mount as a drag and drop external storage on any computer, then you want them to put as much memory as possible in it. It's unlikely that you would ever need to carry 16 or 32 gb of stuff to use on a day to day basis, but its always handy when you are visiting a friend to be able to say, I like that "royalty free movie" I might just drag and drop it on to my phone and take it home to my place. Saves you carrying an extra ,memory stick.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Not to mention OTA music downloads from Amazon or any other place. Also OTA app downloads. That extra space comes in handy!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    8GB is plenty for almost everyone.

It's just that 16 and 32 look better to the people with the mentality that they must always have more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

It's just that 16 and 32 look better to the people with the mentality that they must always have more.
    Perfectly put.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I resent that. I actually USE my space.

Just because you don't have that many files or don't want to load them, doesn't mean everyone is the same way. Don't generalize.

Hmmm maybe but just today I put 12gb of data (one full albums worth of music from a recording session) on my 16GB micro sd, to take with me to another studio.

I do it all the time, it is one of the reasons I found the iPhone not as much use as it might have been.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Kind of a wash for me. I use only about 2 GB of the 4 GB card I've got in my 755p, and I'm happy with that. My only real complaint is that the card occasionally seems to lose a good connection and needs to be reseated, which wouldn't happen with soldered-on memory.

That said, I do have about a 7 GB library of music on my workstation, and I end up swapping relatively small subsets of it on and off the 755p so that I've got different stuff to listen to. If I had enough memory that loading that entire 7GB didn't constrain me from loading other stuff (ebook library, some podcasts I subscribe to, occasional video) that would be nice. But obviously not that important to me, or I'd have ponied up for a bigger card on the 755p.

Bottom line: I can see the point of people that want more...but doubling the space I'm not filling now doesn't feel particularly limiting to me.
    I paid an extra hundred for a 16gb iphone. So, yeah, i'm using the space. It's there. I have it.

Just like when i had the 8gb iphone. Used it, its what i had.

If i got a 32, i'd find a way to use it too.

But when you are used to higher, i can see a reluctance to go lower.

BTW..i still think they're going to price this higher than the iphone..sub or not. Palm is old school in this thinking..they think they got a better quality product. We just don't know what Sprint will do. But it still comes back to the fact that AT&T & Verizon will make more per month from Storm and iphone users. It's amazing how the media doesn't note this. When sprint announced the plans compatible with the Pre, the media basically said it sounded like they'll be competitive. Competitive? Sprint is much cheaper. Both AT&T and Verizon enjoy a free pass pretty much from the media in what they charge. This is something Sprint has just failed to market right. They may as well charge what the rest do if they're not really going to seize it.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/07/2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    I'm thinking that with iPhone's possible bump to 32gb in June, it would be good for Palm to announce a 16gb version. I'm somehow thinking that they will, and always have been thinking about it, but wanted to wait to announce it to see what Apple did.

Anyways, which would you guys get?

Let's say, $199 and $299 w/ 2 year.

Palm has the long history of always being a dime short! It was either the screen or memory that they always would be one step behind. I would be totally shocked if that happened and of course I would get the 16g.
    So I see the memory police are out and about. Please refrain from telling me how I should be using my phone. Diva made a good point. If we already have 8gb maximized, we're kinda screwed for downloading any new content while out and about. That seems like a PITA.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Whew...I thought we were going to go a whole week or so without exhuming this delightful discussion yet again.

Nah, people who are n00bs tend to think memory needs are static. the are the same as the people who said 10 mb was more space on hard drive than anyone would use.

It is more a question of ignorance of trends than anything else.

Your comment is pretty much like saying broadband just "looks better to people" than dial up.

the question you might want to ask why of all the phones in its class the Pre will have the least memory capacity?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast