Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8gb - $199

29 29.29%
  • 16gb - $299

70 70.71%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes the ywere, many times bigger than Palm. And an entire ecosystem of product, and a respectable name

And those ipods have multiple capacities -- which gets to the heart of it.

Has palm got computers and itunes?

People are subscribing to an enteir world with apple products, Palm is not in the same league
    I think you forget Apple was pretty close to bankruptcy not all that long ago. The Mac geeks were not enough to keep them solvent, and their R&D was suffering as a result of low cash reserves. The massive cash cow that the iPod became saved Apple, and made them "cool" to the masses. "people ]did not] subscribe to their entire world with apple" before the iPod and iTunes were introduced.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    He said almost everyone, not everyone. And he's probably right. Those of us on this forum are not typical users.
    IMO he's not. I see lots of people carrying devices capable of more than 8GB. Now whether there is more than 8GB on them is up for debate, but I know I have about 9GB on my phone and am still adding files.

If anyone releases a 32GB phone or a 32GB card comes out, I'll seriously be looking at it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I think you forget Apple was pretty close to bankruptcy not all that long ago. The Mac geeks were not enough to keep them solvent, and their R&D was suffering as a result of low cash reserves. The massive cash cow that the iPod became saved Apple, and made them "cool" to the masses. "people ]did not] subscribe to their entire world with apple" before the iPod and iTunes were introduced.
    Yup,
    on 31-Dec-97 the adjusted price of APPLE stock was 3.28

and
    read from

Steve Jobs: Biography from Answers.com

By 1996 Apple's sales were in free fall. That year it shipped 3.7 million computers, for a 5.2 percent market share; in 1997 it was 2.6 million units for a 3.2 percent share. In 1997 Jobs was named "interim" CEO, at a salary of $1 per year, and Amelio left Apple. Jobs dropped the NeXT operating system that Apple had purchased. On August 6, 1997, Apple and Microsoft announced that Microsoft would invest $150 million for a minority stake in Apple. Many in the audience at the MacWorld convention in Boston booed the announcement.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This time from APPLE site

Apple Names Steve Jobs Interim CEO

I hope PALM will be successful after the infusion of ex APPLE guys.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    But then, they got to give us the SD slot ,
    Back to the topic
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yup,
    on 31-Dec-97 the adjusted price of APPLE stock was 3.28.
    that was a lifetime ago and apple's market cap was still huge compared to Palm's as was its brand name.
    and your point? It just shows that many companies can hit a major low and rise again. Palm pretty much created the PDA. Everyone that was using an electronic organizer was using the el cheapo ones from Sharp and Casio. Apple tried with the Newton and failed miserably. For awhile, Palm Pilot was almost as synonymous with pda as ipod is with an mp3 player. The heyday with Palm, Handspring, Sony, and Tapwave was a nice run. It'll be interesting to see if webOS starts another run.
    that was a lifetime ago and apple's market cap was still huge compared to Palm's as was its brand name.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I remember when all PDAs were 'Palms".
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/09/2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: sucky spelling, lol
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and your point? It just shows that many companies can hit a major low and rise again. Palm pretty much created the PDA.
    For awhile, Palm Pilot was almost as synonymous with pda as ipod is with an mp3 player.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    people still call the PDA by PALM PILOT.
    I believe this is PALM's low point.
    With Pre it has a possible chance to get back to the glory days.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    people still call the PDA by PALM PILOT.
    I believe this is PALM's low point.
    With Pre it has a possible chance to get back to the glory days.
    Yeah, and everybody always asks me about my Blackberry. You know, the Blackberry with the Palm logo.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    that would most likely be a generational thing. Same reason why people don't remember light brown M&M's, New Coke, and the Reggie Bar. The people that call a Treo a Blackberry obviously haven't had exposure to smartphones and pda's prior to owning a BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Yeah, and everybody always asks me about my Blackberry. You know, the Blackberry with the Palm logo.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    couldn't find PALM stock price in 1999.
    Here are the numbers for 2000
    finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=PALM&a=02&b=2&c=2000&d=11&e=01&f=2000&g=d

This was certainly not life time ago.
    its all is a big Circle..
    what goes up will come down and what's down will go up.
    LOL! I remember light brown M&Ms and the failed New Coke(nice marketing disaster), but maybe only vaguely the Reggie Bar.

You know what's funny, my mother remembered the red M&Ms but they were discontinued due to the red coloring issue at the time, but now they're back.

The Reggie Bar rocked. It had chocolate, caramel, peanuts. It was delicious.

The youngin's never knew Ronald Reagan was an actor. Didn't watch Schoolhouse Rock Saturday mornings on ABC. Would be lucky to have heard of 8-tracks if they even ever used a cassette. They probably don't even remember life without cable (anyone in the Philly area remember PRISM?) and an answering machine. And heck with new coke. How about Diet Rite Cola and Tab.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/09/2009 at 10:33 PM.
    Funny how I remember the other 2, but I think just barely that one.

But back on topic, looks like 16GB has gained a significant lead.

16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Funny how I remember the other 2, but I think just barely that one.

But back on topic, looks like 16GB has gained a significant lead.
    I hope PALM would surprise most by announcing two versions one with 8gig and another with 16 gig.

This will calm the nerves of many who are asking for SD slot.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345