View Poll Results: What would you get?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8gb - $199

29 29.29%
  • 16gb - $299

70 70.71%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Try asking them about 8GB, since some people think that's all we need and want to speak for everyone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's all about marketing. Why would you market it with just a "card slot". Why not market it as "capable of capacities up to 16gb". It won't be long until it could be marketed as "up to 32gb".

And I disagree. Many "average consumers" already have microSD cards in their dumbphones be it for music or photos. They know what they are, and the right marketing would only increase their knowledge. Look around at other forums like deal sites that constantly have mSD deals listed for 4, 8 and 16gb cards that often sell out within a day when a good deal is had. Look at mSD sales on Amazon. The small percentage represented here are far from the only users of mSD cards. Even my technologically declined sister knew she needed a card for her new BB when she wanted to put pics of my niece on there and was surprised an 8gb card would work and was less than $20. You can be Apple and keep giving your customers a fish every day or you can take the high road and teach them to fish so they actually learn something.

And how did you present the question? Would you buy a 16gb iphone for $300 or would you buy an expandable iphone with a card slot for $180 and a 16gb mSD card for $40? I could spin the question different ways and illicit answers towards whichever side I choose. I could make using a card sound cumbersome or leave out the benefits. I could make the built in 16gb sound extremely limited. Of course you could spin it the other way with the built in memory and not having to deal with buying separate cards and such. You could mention you could essentially have unlimited storage by having extra cards. Maybe you only watch movies occasionally. So keep the 16gb card filled with your music & daily use stuff and have an 8gb card for the few movies you only watch sporadically. You wouldn't have to constantly delete and load content onto the built in 16gb then. Maybe they don't need 16gb. Maybe they only need 8gb at the moment. They could just get an 8gb card and be at the same $200 price, but know they could just buy a bigger card as their needs grow instead of having to go buy a new phone and sell the old one. We know Mikah doesn't like to switch cards, but a 16gb card would already be at the iPhone's max so that would be a wash. Users with more need would have the "capability" to expand with additional cards if they wanted to.

Just sayin'

Not even mentioning the capability to use mSD cards in ones camera and they'd easily be able to view them on their phone with that nice big screen. Easily be able to instantly upload them to facebook, flickr, kodak or what not. Great for when you're on vaca and don't want to bring the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sounds like good logic to me. But you have to keep in mind. People are STUPID and a bit lazy. They'll still glance at that 16gb iphone and be drawn to it while they see nothing but "card slot" listed on the Pre.

Yes, the average customer should know what a card is. They use them in cameras. I asked a few people i know just earlier today. What would you get...a 16gb iphone or an iphone with a memory card slot. All 4 said 16gb iphone without much hesitation. Yes, they use them in cameras..but they associate that with 1-2 gb cards. A couple said memory cards are expensive and a pain to use or involve card readers or are ignorant of capacities. 16gb plug and play (as in the current iphone) just seems to wow em.

I fully agree. I'd take a card slot in a heartbeat. And probably so would a majority of people who've used smartphones for awhile. But its strange how the mainstream buyers behave vs what you would think would be common sense. We're such a small percentage of buyers in this forum.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Yes complaining IS kinda the point. You, on the other hand, do treat it like winning or loosing, to point that you make laughable statements, like anything different than 8gig on board and no expandable memory would make you complain, to the point that you push so hard and often so personal, that you alienate yourself on the board and have to take a self imposed break, to the point that many (not including myself) think you must work for Palm, since nothing else could possibly explain your seemingly blind advocacy for Palm's memory choices and, frankly, weird hostility to those who complain, question, or, as you say, gripe, to the point that more than one member has you on their ignore list. Yeah, this topic has been "done to death" by YOU. Why you feel so compelled to defend Palm, I dont know and dont care. Had all or most iPhone users drank apple's kool aid like you do palm's, copy and paste and MMS may still be missing from the iPhone.
    What's laughable is this foolishness. I've criticized the lame Webinar, the lack of updates on Palm.com in March, and - in this very thread - just a few of the many design decisions I disagree with about the Pre. I've repeatedly told people who had crash prone experiences with Treos in the past that if I were them, I wouldn't bother with the Pre or ANY Palm device at all because I wouldn't give my business to a company that gave me an experience like that with their phones.

And yet, you have the audacity to call me a "Palm kool-aid" drinker and unquestioning fanboy in a post that exists solely to personally attack me...for making things personal and attacking others. Paging Alanis Morrissette...

Buddy, you should add me to your ignore list. You and anyone else that demands that someone come here and sh-t talk Palm all day long in order to not come off as a "blind advocate" should definitely ignore me. Because as soon as I hit "Submit Reply" that is exactly what I intend to do to you. Have a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'm usually cool with disagreeing at this point, but "crippled"? That just makes no sense. I guess every Treo from the 600 on was crippled then. Even taking the dealership scenario it's wrong. Sprint is the dealership. They will be more than happy to factory install a memory card for you that you'll never have to change or even look at. It'll even be part of your factory invoice looking like a dealer installed option.

Salesperson: Sir, your Pre is available in multiple gigabyte options. You can choose from 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16gb. Which do you prefer?
    Customer: You mean I have a choice?
    Salesperson: Sure sir. You can pick the size that most fits your needs.
    Customer: That sounds great. But do I have to deal with changing anything out over and over?
    Salesperson: Not at all. We'll install the memory for you, and you'll never have to worry about it again.
    Customer: Well what if I need more memory?
    Salesperson: Just bring it back in and we can upgrade it for you. At some point you'll even have the option for 32gb. You'll be able to use the old memory in something else or you can sell it if you like.
    Customer: Sounds good. I'll start with 8gb.
    Salesperson: Perfect. Between you and me, we'll be more than happy to do all that for you, but if you'd like to save a few dollars, you could buy the memory elsewhere and install it yourself.
    Customer: I don't know. That seems pretty complicated to me.
    Salesperson: Not at all. The memory comes in little cards that fit in this little slot underneath the battery. It just slides right in. Place the battery on top, replace the cover, and you're good to go.
    Customer: That doesn't seem hard at all, and if I can save a few dollars, I'll just pick it up myself.
    Salesperson: Sounds good sir. And we're here to help if you run into any problems. Just give a call or pop back in the store.
    Customer: Appreciate the service. Thanks.

Sounds crippled to me.
    Sigh...here we go again. Crippling does not mean that one cannot accommodate for what is missing. So yes, I can shell out yet more money just as I could for crutches or glasses or a hearing aid. But if the Pre arrives fully capable with a robust memory config out of the box, it is not crippled. It is normal. You may not think 8GB is robust. I do.

To elaborate further...netbooks that arrive with 8GB drives, but USB ports so you can add external hard drives are also crippled to me. We just have irreconcilably different perspectives, sir.
    At this point...here's what I honestly wish Palm would've done on the Pre:

MicroSD slot with 8GB card pre-installed just like the Storm. Not because I want it that way, but because I love this board. And discussions like these sometimes make me not love it as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Yes, the "old" model that has made Apple money hand over fist.
    Yes but Apple is Apple. It is a massive brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes but Apple is Apple. It is a massive brand.
    They weren't quite so massive before they spat out the fixed-storage iPod.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    This, and all threads that devolve into the tired "8 gigs is all anyone needs" vs. " The Pre will fail without 64 gigs" should be closed.
    Yes the ywere, many times bigger than Palm. And an entire ecosystem of product, and a respectable name

And those ipods have multiple capacities -- which gets to the heart of it.

Has palm got computers and itunes?

People are subscribing to an enteir world with apple products, Palm is not in the same league
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    This, and all threads that devolve into the tired "8 gigs is all anyone needs" vs. " The Pre will fail without 64 gigs" should be closed.
    umm,. look at the thread title. it is exactly on topic
    I don't agree with that. I think public message forums should always err on the side of more freedom and leeway and not less.

But we know where everyone stands on this 40 times over. Surely, there are more interesting things to talk about?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Give me Pandora, Flash support (for HULU.com), and a program for Slingbox and of course a reliable network and I'm all set
    I love Pandora & SlingBox as well. BUT, SlingBox has just come out & said they will no longer support SlingBox Classic. So, if you don't have it already, we will need to upgrade to SB Solo or SB Pro-HD to operate on new devices like the Pre.

Cheers
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

MicroSD slot with 8GB card pre-installed just like the Storm. Not because I want it that way, but because I love this board. And discussions like these sometimes make me not love it as much.
    I like the 8Gig card install option and thanks for loving the board, your post are needed to keep us going.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sounds like good logic to me. But you have to keep in mind. People are STUPID and a bit lazy. They'll still glance at that 16gb iphone and be drawn to it while they see nothing but "card slot" listed on the Pre.

Yes, the average customer should know what a card is. They use them in cameras. I asked a few people i know just earlier today. What would you get...a 16gb iphone or an iphone with a memory card slot. All 4 said 16gb iphone without much hesitation.
    +1, but the other way People lazy then STUPID.
    I was just playing up your car dealer scenario and having some fun with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Not to mention the bandwidth cap. "Unlimited" it is not.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I would go with the larger phone just to make it's lifespan that much greater. I've always been told to buy as much as you can afford to make tech devices last much longer and that in turn will give you more bang for your buck.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Not to mention the bandwidth cap. "Unlimited" it is not.
    It is unlimited on the phone. Been using my Mogul as a router streaming netflix to my XBOX360. I'm already at 11.5 gigs. Been doing this for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post

Like Diva said, please dont genralize. Speak for yourself. I use my 16GB card on my 700P EVERYDAY in the gym. I use my unit to listen to music.
    He said almost everyone, not everyone. And he's probably right. Those of us on this forum are not typical users.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yes,
    One would go back to the days of hiring back Steve Jobs to check "HOW MASSIVE BRAND" they were.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast