99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8gb - $199

29 29.29%
  • 16gb - $299

70 70.71%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The easiest and most elegant solution would be for Palm to include a "crippled" (still better than none at all!) microSDHC slot in a future Pre. Have the slot only accessible to media player apps and/or only used for expanding media storage. All programs would have to launch from the onboard memory. In the days of Palm OS 4.x, many apps were SD card-unfriendly and didn't "like" to run anywhere but in internal memory unless you used something like PowerRun.

I never thought Palm would dumb their devices down so much but I suppose they figure anything goes now that they are trying to mimic everything Apple does.

Personally, I'd rather have a $200 Pre with 1GB internal and a microSDHC card than a $200 8 or $299 16GB fixed memory version. The flexibility & upgradeability of the memory card slot is definitely worth the supposed "aggravation" of having to buy a memory card or keep track of what is indexed from the card. I think it's just Palm's excuse for releasing crippled hardware and to force users to have to buy an entirely new device every year.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Just another excuse by them. First it was physical space. Now it's interference with the universal search. They should just admit they've been infiltrated by the Apple way of thinking and call it a day.

Amen bro, +1, me too and all that jazz.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    This is one of those my opinion vs yours that nobody can win.
    I don't really thinking winning is the point. Complaining is. And even though there are multiple lengthy threads where we've done this subject to death, it will never stop coming up on this particular board until Palm offers a WebOS device with a slot, just as there have been incessant iPhone copy and paste and MMS jokes for almost two years.

You can't please all of the people all of time. I would complain if Palm had done the memory issue any other way.
    so mikah, if you had 2gb on board and a card slot, you would kick and scream that you could throw in a 4, 6, 8 or 16gb card once and not bother with it ever again unless you wanted to upgrade?

just a curious question with all the back and forth we had on the topic.
    Just another excuse by them. First it was physical space. Now it's interference with the universal search. They should just admit they've been infiltrated by the Apple way of thinking and call it a day.
    It's not an excuse by Palm, they've never said anything other than they couldn't fit the slot in and keep the aesthetic they wanted. It's just an alternative reason that's been suggested by people here, and it makes sense to me. To reindex the music library of my 4GB microSDHC card that I have in my WM phone right now takes 2 or 3 minutes each time I have to do it.

Besides that, what's an intuitive way for them to handle that? I mean, how do you universally search all of your programs if they're not all internal to the phone? How do you transparently reindex things when the card is reinserted? Keep in mind, that while WM does this fine, it's considered to be way too complicated for most.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer an SDHC or microSDHC slot, but at the same time, I'd rather just have a ton more flash memory built in. (32GB would be perfect for my needs, personally). That being said, I'm still going to be getting the Pre and switching my music out more often and that sort of thing (and definitely relying on Pandora). I'd just be much happier with more storage.
    sorry, it came off as if it was mentioned by Palm. I still don't buy the aesthetic argument when mSD is smaller tha a SIM card. And I guess that will get debunked after it's released and someone does a breakdown.

All I know is I don't mind the few minutes it takes to refresh the db when I reinsert a card. I have 8gb cards for my Sansa Fuze, and it takes about a minute to reindex. It'll also take longer if you have slower cards (class 2 & 4).

Is there a rule that says reindexing has to be transparent? With the speed of the processor and a fairly fast card I'd imagine it wouldn't be a 3-4 min task. I also don't understand what's complicated for the user. A simple statement in a quick setup guide or a mention by a rep when you're buying it about how the card needs to reintegrate with the Pre when it is inserted. Seems pretty straight forward. If you make changes to what's on the card, the Pre has to be aware of them I don't see it as rocket science even for the average user.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/07/2009 at 04:20 PM.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    What about folks like me who doesn't index all the time , but carries the music , photos , videos and documents ?

For the same reason i carry my iPod all the time with my phone. If I had 16 gig on my phone , I probably throw my ipod away and use the phone.
    so mikah, if you had 2gb on board and a card slot, you would kick and scream that you could throw in a 4, 6, 8 or 16gb card once and not bother with it ever again unless you wanted to upgrade?

just a curious question with all the back and forth we had on the topic.
    I wouldn't be put off to the degree you guys are, but it annoys me when I have to fill in a device with aftermarket options. It's just like a car. Sure I could pay for the base model and drop money on a new stereo, rims, seats, and everything else. But I prefer to have it loaded from the factory.
    At least with a car, you get the OPTION of upgrading, factory or otherwise.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I currently have close to 40gb's of music alone. I won't even go into how much video I have.

I have a 80gb iPod for all of my music and things, so I will always have that with me. My phone is always with me as well, I put on about 2gb's just in case I forget my iPod, so 8gb will be plenty fine.

I'm just excited that I can upgrade from my BB Pearl (which I really loved)... but I hated how little I room I had for all of my stuff, not to mention its problem with cache refreshing.... uggghhh...

8gb for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The "option" of either having a crippled device or shelling out even more money beyond my monthly plan and the couple hundred I dropped for this phone isn't much of an option to me.

But that is why I am happy with Palm's decision, and you and others are not. The thing is there are a number of design decisions Palm made with the Pre I don't agree with or wish were different (e.g. I'd love it if it had a 3.6 inch screen, video recording out of the box, etc.), but since those will not happen the first time around, I can either buy it or not buy it.

I made my peace with the decision to buy it a few hours after it was announced, and I don't see any reason to gripe about the stuff that won't be there. I would feel the same way if I decided not to buy it. But either way, I'm done and moving on to something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That is pretty much the issue. all the competing devices in the Pre price class released and scheduled for release in 2009 have the option for 16 or 32 GB.

that is because the average use of the Pre will be from Fall 2009 to Fall 2011. User memory needs always go up it is a constant. -- Including on devices that have been cloud oriented for much longer

Palm is going back to an older model and way of looking at memory. It is as if one was selling a pc with no ability to upgrade hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Palm is going back to an older model and way of looking at memory. It is as if one was selling a pc with no ability to upgrade hard drive.
    Yes, the "old" model that has made Apple money hand over fist.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Apple still has sense enough to offer OPTIONS, even if they do cost more.

The Pre as of now has no other storage option. A microSD slot would NOT have crippled it, but would have helped it. Even Samsung and Nokia put microSD slots in their 8GB and 16GB phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm usually cool with disagreeing at this point, but "crippled"? That just makes no sense. I guess every Treo from the 600 on was crippled then. Even taking the dealership scenario it's wrong. Sprint is the dealership. They will be more than happy to factory install a memory card for you that you'll never have to change or even look at. It'll even be part of your factory invoice looking like a dealer installed option.

Salesperson: Sir, your Pre is available in multiple gigabyte options. You can choose from 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16gb. Which do you prefer?
    Customer: You mean I have a choice?
    Salesperson: Sure sir. You can pick the size that most fits your needs.
    Customer: That sounds great. But do I have to deal with changing anything out over and over?
    Salesperson: Not at all. We'll install the memory for you, and you'll never have to worry about it again.
    Customer: Well what if I need more memory?
    Salesperson: Just bring it back in and we can upgrade it for you. At some point you'll even have the option for 32gb. You'll be able to use the old memory in something else or you can sell it if you like.
    Customer: Sounds good. I'll start with 8gb.
    Salesperson: Perfect. Between you and me, we'll be more than happy to do all that for you, but if you'd like to save a few dollars, you could buy the memory elsewhere and install it yourself.
    Customer: I don't know. That seems pretty complicated to me.
    Salesperson: Not at all. The memory comes in little cards that fit in this little slot underneath the battery. It just slides right in. Place the battery on top, replace the cover, and you're good to go.
    Customer: That doesn't seem hard at all, and if I can save a few dollars, I'll just pick it up myself.
    Salesperson: Sounds good sir. And we're here to help if you run into any problems. Just give a call or pop back in the store.
    Customer: Appreciate the service. Thanks.

Sounds crippled to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The "option" of either having a crippled device or shelling out even more money beyond my monthly plan and the couple hundred I dropped for this phone isn't much of an option to me.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/07/2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    ""I currently have close to 40gb's of music alone. I won't even go into how much video I have.

I have a 80gb iPod for all of my music and things, so I will always have that with me. My phone is always with me as well, I put on about 2gb's just in case I forget my iPod, so 8gb will be plenty fine."

---------------
    There is an app currently for the iPhone; hopefully, it will also work for the Pre. It is called Orb. I think the latest software is 2.0 The download is free, though the App costs some money. I think it works on other PDAs--I haven't used it.

I watched the demo yesterday & it gives you access to ALL your photos, music, videos, etc. w/o having to store them on the phone. Check it out at

The Revolutionary OrbLive, get it now in the App Store | Orb Networks

MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software

If we get it on the Pre, it would solve a lot of the problems for those of us w/lots of music/photos. Ironically, though, it currently only works w/a PC--not a Mac.

Cheers, Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't really thinking winning is the point. Complaining is. And even though there are multiple lengthy threads where we've done this subject to death, it will never stop coming up on this particular board until Palm offers a WebOS device with a slot, just as there have been incessant iPhone copy and paste and MMS jokes for almost two years. You can't please all of the people all of time. I would complain if Palm had done the memory issue any other way.
    Yes complaining IS kinda the point. You, on the other hand, do treat it like winning or loosing, to point that you make laughable statements, like anything different than 8gig on board and no expandable memory would make you complain, to the point that you push so hard and often so personal, that you alienate yourself on the board and have to take a self imposed break, to the point that many (not including myself) think you must work for Palm, since nothing else could possibly explain your seemingly blind advocacy for Palm's memory choices and, frankly, weird hostility to those who complain, question, or, as you say, gripe, to the point that more than one member has you on their ignore list. Yeah, this topic has been "done to death" by YOU. Why you feel so compelled to defend Palm, I dont know and dont care. Had all or most iPhone users drank apple's kool aid like you do palm's, copy and paste and MMS may still be missing from the iPhone.
    Last edited by eekinsman; 04/07/2009 at 10:51 PM.
    Give me Pandora, Flash support (for HULU.com), and a program for Slingbox and of course a reliable network and I'm all set
    It's called streaming from your home PC = constant internet usage = major battery drain while requiring your computer at home to always be on or the purchase of a NAS if it'd even work with NAS. Don't feel like researching it as I don't see it as a viable option for everyday use (at least for me). It's been discussed before in one of the other storage threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    It is called Orb.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'm usually cool with disagreeing at this point, but "crippled"? That just makes no sense. I guess every Treo from the 600 on was crippled then. Even taking the dealership scenario it's wrong. Sprint is the dealership. They will be more than happy to factory install a memory card for you that you'll never have to change or even look at. It'll even be part of your factory invoice looking like a dealer installed option.

Salesperson: Sir, your Pre is available in multiple gigabyte options. You can choose from 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16gb. Which do you prefer?
    Customer: You mean I have a choice?
    Salesperson: Sure sir. You can pick the size that most fits your needs.
    Customer: That sounds great. But do I have to deal with changing anything out over and over?
    Salesperson: Not at all. We'll install the memory for you, and you'll never have to worry about it again.
    Customer: Well what if I need more memory?
    Salesperson: Just bring it back in and we can upgrade it for you. At some point you'll even have the option for 32gb. You'll be able to use the old memory in something else or you can sell it if you like.
    Customer: Sounds good. I'll start with 8gb.
    Salesperson: Perfect. Between you and me, we'll be more than happy to do all that for you, but if you'd like to save a few dollars, you could buy the memory elsewhere and install it yourself.
    Customer: I don't know. That seems pretty complicated to me.
    Salesperson: Not at all. The memory comes in little cards that fit in this little slot underneath the battery. It just slides right in. Place the battery on top, replace the cover, and you're good to go.
    Customer: That doesn't seem hard at all, and if I can save a few dollars, I'll just pick it up myself.
    Salesperson: Sounds good sir. And we're here to help if you run into any problems. Just give a call or pop back in the store.
    Customer: Appreciate the service. Thanks.

Sounds crippled to me.
    Sounds like good logic to me. But you have to keep in mind. People are STUPID and a bit lazy. They'll still glance at that 16gb iphone and be drawn to it while they see nothing but "card slot" listed on the Pre.

Yes, the average customer should know what a card is. They use them in cameras. I asked a few people i know just earlier today. What would you get...a 16gb iphone or an iphone with a memory card slot. All 4 said 16gb iphone without much hesitation. Yes, they use them in cameras..but they associate that with 1-2 gb cards. A couple said memory cards are expensive and a pain to use or involve card readers or are ignorant of capacities. 16gb plug and play (as in the current iphone) just seems to wow em.

I fully agree. I'd take a card slot in a heartbeat. And probably so would a majority of people who've used smartphones for awhile. But its strange how the mainstream buyers behave vs what you would think would be common sense. We're such a small percentage of buyers in this forum.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast