Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    folks
    read this

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ort-lives.html

I hope the USB port works. If it does then
    buy the cable at

n810 otg, Computers Networking, Cell Phones PDAs items on eBay.com

You can attach flash drives , and Pre can read.

Its not proven, we will have to wait for this to test.
    the Pre does not have USB Host support. It's only been mentioned in about 10 different threads.
    But it could have USB OTG support with proper drivers.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    the Pre does not have USB Host support. It's only been mentioned in about 10 different threads.
    oh no,
    please , I wish they added it. It would have been wonderful for using the external drives.

It might be prudent to just put 16gig as opposed to 8 Gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    8GB is plenty for almost everyone.

It's just that 16 and 32 look better to the people with the mentality that they must always have more.

Like Diva said, please dont genralize. Speak for yourself. I use my 16GB card on my 700P EVERYDAY in the gym. I use my unit to listen to music.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I resent that. I actually USE my space.

Just because you don't have that many files or don't want to load them, doesn't mean everyone is the same way. Don't generalize.
    I agree with you. I have a 8GB microSDHC card in my Treo Pro and I could actually get away with a 2GB card. My wife on the other hand has a 8GB microSDHC card in her Treo Pro and actually needs a 16GB microSDHC card now. She loads a lot of pictures and music files on it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I don't care what's in the phone - give me a microSD slot. Please! Come on Palm, this isn't a dumb phone. I will have important stuff on on my Pre and need anytime/anywhere backup and restore. Until cloud access is 100% secure and accessible lead walled box in a submarine I want local backups. Actually, I would still prefer to have them.
    Would you please link to one of these 10 threads that provides definitive proof that there isn't and won't be any USB Host support? I've read only speculation about this on these boards, and I've been paying attention.

I think you're overstepping your self-assigned Thread Police jurisdiction on this one a bit.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Would you please link to one of these 10 threads that provides definitive proof that there isn't and won't be any USB Host support? I've read only speculation about this on these boards, and I've been paying attention.

I think you're overstepping your self-assigned Thread Police jurisdiction on this one a bit.
    I am hoping that it is possible. The key word here is "Mass Storage Support" , which can be interpreted many ways by wiser folks in the forum.

If PALM can open the host support then the rest ( somehow connecting it to flash drives) can be possible.
    16 ...
    I don't NEED 16 right now. But i HAVE 8 already on my phone via card. W/ 16 i could leave the ipod at home. IMO
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Because the basic specs have been published for a bit now quoting on MSC support. OTG is essentially the same thing, just different wording. It's been discussed in the facebook forums by Palm employees as well as here. It's a pretty major feature that would've gotten mentioned. If the hardware even supports it, you would need root access, along with the right cable to get it to work. Nokia internet tablets didn't have host capabilities out of the box, but the hardware supported it. Since there was root access to the OS, the functionality could be turned on, the right cable used, and host support became reality. I don't think Palm is going to allow that kind of tampering with their phone even if the Pre were capable of it.

And I don't see how I'm the thread police just because I mentioned it's been talked about elsewhere. Get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    And I don't see how I'm the thread police just because I mentioned it's been talked about elsewhere. Get a grip.
    I'm gripped--I just thought it would be fun to give you a hard time because you seem to be saying that people ought to search before posting A LOT lately. I was right, it was fun!

With regard to the rest of your post--I think the big question is whether the hardware will support it or not. I don't think it is clear one way or the other. Someone will figure out how to get root access, I have no doubt. And the cable is trivial.

I don't think it's a done deal one way or the other.
    Go somewhere else and sling that crap. Its a poll. Vote if you like, explain your reasons if you like. Share your needs and wants and preferences if you like. But PLEASE would people who don't care about local hot sync, more on board memory and/or expandable memory STOP launching personal insults to those that do. BTW, I would have added legacy PalmOS compatibility to the above list, but since Palm made or allowed that to happen, I guess you haters were proven wrong on that. So, to those who want local hot sync, more on board memory and/or expandable memory IGNORE the haters. Maybe Palm is listening.

It's just that 16 and 32 look better to the people with the mentality that they must always have more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I don't care what's in the phone - give me a microSD slot. Please! Come on Palm, this isn't a dumb phone. I will have important stuff on on my Pre and need anytime/anywhere backup and restore. Until cloud access is 100% secure and accessible lead walled box in a submarine I want local backups. Actually, I would still prefer to have them.
    It was mentioned before, and I think I agree with it, that an external slot would add complications with regards to the universal search feature (ie, the Pre would have to index the card every time it was inserted, and that sort of thing).

Regardless, for backups you'll be able to plug into a PC, and drag and drop everything over to that. I'm not 100% certain, but I think I've read that Palm reps have said you can even drag and drop your contacts/calendar database over that way.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

My music collection is 9 Gig. And you r point is ? to carry my iPod ?
    More is always better. Most of the folks with media collection can fill up 8 Gig easily.

IMHO, PALM or SPRINT or (APPLE) should do a study on the average music and video collection sizes to determine the internal phone storage capacity.

A good way to find out is how many of those iPods sold were
    16Gig, 40 Gig, 80 Gig ,120 gig and 160 Gig ( yes they discontinued it).

PALM should have set 16 gig as a starting point for Pre and offered a 32 gig one.
    But there is cost associated with it. The better way is to sell 8 Gig one and price the 16 gig one for 25- 50 bucks more. This will keep everyone happy.

Charging 100 dollars for 8 more gig is plain raping the consumer, Dell was selling a 1TB external drive for about 100 dollars two weeks back
    I don't the external card reason at all. Media players refresh databases all the time when a card is reinserted as it needs to integrate the music library. It's not a big deal. I'd say most aren't pulling their cards on a daily basis anyway.

Just another excuse by them. First it was physical space. Now it's interference with the universal search. They should just admit they've been infiltrated by the Apple way of thinking and call it a day.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    They should just admit they've been infiltrated by the Apple way of thinking and call it a day.
    I guess you are right , APPLE folks probably decided it.
    But then they could have put 16 gig as a standard.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Regardless, for backups you'll be able to plug into a PC, and drag and drop everything over to that.
    A PC doesn't cut it for "anytime/anywhere backup and restore". For example, lately GooSync has been confused and overwritten my Palm Calendar on every sync - What I do now is backup my calendar, run GooSync, and then restore my calendar (from SD using RescoBackup). I have configured a single file backup so it's very quick and ... I can do it in my car, on a hike, in a bar, where-ever and whenever.

This is one of those my opinion vs yours that nobody can win, for me and my current (and past Palms) an SD for backups is a must. MAYBE... Palm will nail it with WebOS and we'll have a near perfect device that doesn't get hosed as often as they used to! Then I will change my SD requirement. I run a lot of apps, hacks, and tweaks and therefore have a lot of breakdowns.
    But hopefully the Pre is stable enough that we wont really need to backup due to a faulty program.

Personally, I could care less about backing up on the go. I rarely even backup on my desktop.
    I have a Treo 680 with a 1gb memory card. So I would gladly take an 8gb Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    But hopefully the Pre is stable enough that we wont really need to backup due to a faulty program.

Personally, I could care less about backing up on the go. I rarely even backup on my desktop.
    I have a Treo 680 with a 1gb memory card. So I would gladly take an 8gb Pre.

I once left my whopping 512 mb sd card in my computer for a week before I realized it was missing.

(I am probably not typical)
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast