Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm diggin these new sprint commercials. Nice
    They're good, but they'll get old if it's the same thing with minor changes every time. If they do a third one with the same premise and no real info on the Pre it'll be annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I'm diggin these new sprint commercials. Nice
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Just saw it on 24.

And on YouTube:
    Sweet! I saw it too during 24, man that show was crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Sweet! I saw it too during 24, man that show was crazy.
    Too many disasters, not enough hours in the day. Er, season.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    wth is loopt? This is the first time I've heard of it. Are they making an app for the Pre?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I have to say I'm disappointed in these commercials. They're clever and entertaining, but they don't really say that Sprint has a good network, just that a lot of people are using it. And they showed the Pre for so little time--unless you knew what it was, it would just look like a somewhat interesting phone.

So it's not an especially great commercial for Sprint, and it's not a good commercial for the Pre. I think Sprint is wasting their money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Haha, thanks I already did that but I've never known anyone who uses it, is actually popular?
    I think it's a clever marketing campaign to challenge all of the people who said "...but it's on Sprint" when they introduced the Pre for Sprint. So its focus was primarily to show initially "why" Palm chose Sprint's network and I think they are achieving this fairly well with these spots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Haha, thanks I already did that but I've never known anyone who uses it, is actually popular?
    Well, they've got an iPhone app that was good enough to get featured a while back in a commercial (which has had a proven positive affect on app sales). But to be honest, I have no clue how many users they have. Hell, I don't even know anybody that uses it (well, I may, but I don't know that they use it if they do).
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I think it's a clever marketing campaign to challenge all of the people who said "...but it's on Sprint" when they introduced the Pre for Sprint. So its focus was primarily to show initially "why" Palm chose Sprint's network and I think they are achieving this fairly well with these spots
    Agreed. It's nice to see Sprint talking about what the network can be used for (not to mention that everybody in the commercials are using Pres. Prees. Pre Phones. Palm Pre...s)
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Yes, I think that's the intention, but how do these commercials help? I suppose they help they Sprint brand feel a little hipper than the stupid Verizon guy, but Sprint's problem is not a lack of hip, it's the perception that their network is inferior and their CS sucks (neither of which is true, by the way). I think these commercials fail to score points on either issue. They're better than no commercials, and I love seeing the Pre as often as possible, I just think they could be doing better.

If I were Sprint, and I was getting ready to launch the newest, most advanced smartphone around, I might flaunt that fact, and try to make the case that Sprint has the most advanced handsets on the most advanced network. That would play to their strength. But although there's a flavor of that in these commercials, I don't think the message is clear enough.

Just my opinion. Sorry to rain on the parade. I know we're all excited to see the ad campaign beginning.
    I had never heard of Loopt before either, and I'm pretty savvy with phones and the latest nerdoms. This makes me think they are partnering with loopt. I expect to see an app on the pre at launch or right after.

Edit: After browsing their site, it says everywhere that Loopt is free on Sprint/Nextel. That's pretty weird.
    ya loopt has been around for a while now
    It's kind of a neat commercial, but the name of the network + the unreleased release date seem kinda ill-advised. I predict ...

Caller: "Hey, I just saw that NOW Network commercial! Can I buy that phone?"

Sprint: "Not NOW."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I think there are plenty of people out there watching those commercials saying, "I thought only the iPhone could do that."

UPDATE: Actually, they're probably saying, "cool! That's an iPhone!"
    Last edited by Rhody; 04/14/2009 at 07:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I think there are plenty of people out there watching those commercials saying, "I thought only the iPhone could do that."
    I think you're right.
    I also think those same users will believe that Sprint's NOW network let's all phones do that - not just the unidentified phone on the commercials.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Just saw it. I think its great they're pushing the quality first before pushing price. Although they do imply 4G a bit much for my liking.

It's still not likable to me though as it doesn't say anything useful..its just wasteful eye candy. Either tout something unique or go after competitors. That's how i think when i buy...i compare. If you use competitors in commercials, be honest as possible.

I kind of like the Microsoft commercials in that regard. They are not being vicious towards Apple but do acknowledge them and merely explain one of the major strengths they have...lower cost.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I have to say I'm disappointed in these commercials. They're clever and entertaining, but they don't really say that Sprint has a good network, just that a lot of people are using it. And they showed the Pre for so little time--unless you knew what it was, it would just look like a somewhat interesting phone.

So it's not an especially great commercial for Sprint, and it's not a good commercial for the Pre. I think Sprint is wasting their money.
    I think the issue is people considering this a "Pre" commericial.

Its not.

Its a Sprint commercial.

And it makes sense. You don't want to start advertising openly for the Pre before a release date is really nailed down because you're going to have people asking "When" and "how much".

Instead, they're focusing on the network. They're doing it in a different, but similar way, tthat verizon does. Instead of focusing on the huge amount of people supporting the network like Verizon, they're focusing on the versatility and the huge use of the network. I think you're wrong in thinking that this doesn't give the indication of a powerful, stable network that is doing all these things.

I see the Pre in these as being a subliminal message type thing. They're not specifically talking about the Pre, thus not officially announcing it out there in the common vernacular. However, people are seeing the little glimpses of it and are going to start assossiating that phone with Sprint.

What this means is once the actual Pre-centric commericals begin coming out there's already a familiarity with the phone there, AND people are possible less objecting to the thought of "its on Sprint".

I think these commericals are great in changing the image of Sprint. The other commercials were slow, stuffy, professional and yet seemingly old. This is a much more youth focused, high speed, innovative commercial made to appeal to the Pre's market segment more and to help change the perception that the Sprint network has. You'd be amazed from a PRPRPR $stand$ $point$ $how$ $much$ $the$ $view$ $of$ $an$ $image$ $of$ $a$ $wireless$ $carrier$ $affects$ $the$ $view$ $of$ $their$ $quality$.

I think this is a smart move on Sprint's side of things. Prop up their network, make it cool, hip, massive, and active while subliminally introducing the Pre. Then, as you get close to launch and you've solidified the views of your network a bit, start coming out with the Pre-centric commercials.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just saw it. I think its great they're pushing the quality first before pushing price. Although they do imply 4G a bit much for my liking.

It's still not likable to me though as it doesn't say anything useful..its just wasteful eye candy. Either tout something unique or go after competitors. That's how i think when i buy...i compare. If you use competitors in commercials, be honest as possible.

I kind of like the Microsoft commercials in that regard. They are not being vicious towards Apple but do acknowledge them and merely explain one of the major strengths they have...lower cost.
    Microsoft doesn't mention Apple, they just attack the perception that Apple created. They say, "I'm a PC and I'm 4 years old." That attacks the perception that Apple created that Mac computers are so much easier to use than a PC. Microsoft shows that a PC can do everything a Mac can do; in fact, a 4 year old can do it. In another commercial, Microsoft shows that a PC laptop can do everything a Mac laptop can do, is more powerful, and is cheaper, which destroys the perception that Apple created, which is that the Mac laptop is more expensive because it is more powerful, easier to use, and has more capability out of the box.

The Now Network commercials also attack a perception created by Apple, which is that the iPhone is the only device that lets you browse the web, download apps, twitter, text, touch the screen, order movie tickets, search for restaurants, listen to music, etc.

The problem is that Apple has created such a strong perception about the iPhone that it will take a lot of marketing to fight the perception. I bet when I get a Pre a lot of people will ask, "oooh, is that the new iPhone?"
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast