Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I have a 800w and it is a known issue that keeping the Location on (GPS) kills the battery pretty quickly... (so actually I always keep it off and I turn it on when I need to use it...)

I hope that is not going to be an issue with the Pre coming up, especially if it uses the same size battery..
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    that's an issue with every phone that has gps
    The battery usage on my Sprint Touch is so bad during a Navigation setting using Sprint Navi, that even with a 2000 mha battery, and the phone plugged in to the cars charger, the phone uses more battery than the charger can provide and will eventually die. On long trips, I have to turn the navi off to give it some time to recharge, and then turn it back on when my voyage takes me into unknown areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PredatoryWasp86 View Post
    that's an issue with every phone that has gps
    We have an Instinct in the house, and it has a tiny battery (1000 mAh), but lasts days on a charge with GPS turned on, email being checked, etc. TeleNav doesn't seem to kill the battery.

So, it's not every phone, though I know it is an issue for many phones out there.
    Would think a car charger would be a standard thing to have in the car these days especially with a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Would think a car charger would be a standard thing to have in the car these days especially with a smartphone.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/1579870-post3.html
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    yes. I read post three and have a hard time believing that is the norm for all phones or smartphones.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well lets discuss the charging of the battery thing...

When I stream internet Sirius radio, it burns a crap-load of battery, and the 800w get so warm if I try to charge at the same time, it actually stops charging (even with the battery cover off)

So I know GPS isn't as intensive (I dont think so?)... but I hope that the Pre has better management when it comes to temperature issues as well...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If you're using GPS for Navigation then the screen will be on all the time, that plus the power required by the GPS chip itself would cause high power usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 800w and it is a known issue that keeping the Location on (GPS) kills the battery pretty quickly... (so actually I always keep it off and I turn it on when I need to use it...)
    Thing is, we don't know the chipset being used on the Pre which matters a lot.

There has been much progress with GPS lately, including better aGPS support and next generation GPS solutions such as offline-aGPS (OTA updates), eGPS, etc.

One thing they are improving upon greatly is battery life, so it is really hard to predict at this point.

btw: turning off the "location" feature on the 800w is an urban legend--no benefit from doing that with battery life. You do have to close out any app that is using an active GPS connection though and not leave it on in the background.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    btw: turning off the "location" feature on the 800w is an urban legend--no benefit from doing that with battery life. You do have to close out any app that is using an active GPS connection though and not leave it on in the background.
    Exacly. the irda actually burns more mAh than the GPS on Treo 800w and Treo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The battery usage on my Sprint Touch is so bad during a Navigation setting using Sprint Navi, that even with a 2000 mha battery, and the phone plugged in to the cars charger, the phone uses more battery than the charger can provide and will eventually die. On long trips, I have to turn the navi off to give it some time to recharge, and then turn it back on when my voyage takes me into unknown areas.
    Seriously I would check your car battery charger. you have a bum or lowe rated charger. Car chargers with mini and micro us can be anywhere from 200 ma to 1200 ma.

Even of the name branded chargers there are a lot of counterfeits and knockoffs. I have a motorola that is not an knock off that is a 1000 ma charger. It will charge my phone 30% each half hour with GPS and bluetooth running full time on either my 800w or Treo Pro. With that charger if I get in my car with 25% battery remaining, and runn gps and bluetooth while charging for a 90 minute drive I am fuly charged at the end.

I had a cheap generic razor charger that I was using that only put out 275 ma, and that would drain battery while charging on gps.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Exacly. the irda actually burns more mAh than the GPS on Treo 800w and Treo Pro

Seriously I would check your car battery charger. you have a bum or lowe rated charger. Car chargers with mini and micro us can be anywhere from 200 ma to 1200 ma.

Even of the name branded chargers there are a lot of counterfeits and knockoffs. I have a motorola that is not an knock off that is a 1000 ma charger. It will charge my phone 30% each half hour with GPS and bluetooth running full time on either my 800w or Treo Pro. With that charger if I get in my car with 25% battery remaining, and runn gps and bluetooth while charging for a 90 minute drive I am fuly charged at the end.

I had a cheap generic razor charger that I was using that only put out 275 ma, and that would drain battery while charging on gps.
    You are probably right..I got it at Radio Shack and it was really intended to be used for a Razr. The nice thing about that charger is that you can change plugs on it to use it for just about any phone. I wasn't aware off the fact that there are different output ratings on these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    You are probably right..I got it at Radio Shack and it was really intended to be used for a Razr. The nice thing about that charger is that you can change plugs on it to use it for just about any phone. I wasn't aware off the fact that there are different output ratings on these things.
    Intended for a razor is ok, but even those intended for razer vary in amperage output (and micro vs mini)
    I took a chance on this charger since a lot of motos on ebay are fakes. it turned out to be 1000 ma. which is good
    OEM Motorola RAPID Micro USB Car Charger 4 RAZR2 V8 V9 - eBay (item 370184663821 end time Apr-09-09 17:27:38 PDT)