Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1238...googlenews_wsj

Anybody notice near the end of the commercial that they mentioned Sprint will have the first 4G Network? Will the Pre be compatible with 4G?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    no

3G EVDO Rev A
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    no

3G EVDO Rev A
    I didn't think so. That's not a good thing.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    no

3G EVDO Rev A
    That about sums it up.

I would love to have a WiMax phone one day. It will be a while before it reaches my backwards neck of the woods.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    The only 4G device that Sprint has right now is a laptop card. Nothing else.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    That'll be in the Pre2. Any rumors on that one yet? lol

It will take some time for them to build that network up. Just another fun thing to look forward to!
    Its so early with 4G deployments, so its not a big deal.
    the advertisemnts are a bit misleading
    they are shoiwng the pre in the papaers adds then mentioing the 4 G newwork. it suggestes the phone is 4G.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    the advertisemnts are a bit misleading
    they are shoiwng the pre in the papaers adds then mentioing the 4 G newwork. it suggestes the phone is 4G.
    Agreed. That is a bit misleading.

I actually think it's a bit early to say anything about their 4G network.

I guess they are just trying for some glam.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Its so early with 4G deployments, so its not a big deal.
    The other CDMA network VZW is naming their 4G network LTE (Long Term Evolution), will Sprint follow suit?
    _

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    The other CDMA network VZW is naming their 4G network LTE (Long Term Evolution), will Sprint follow suit?
    Nope. LTE is the technology behind Verizon's upcoming 4G deployment. Sprint is using the WiFi-based WiMax tech for their 4G network, with the brand name of "Xohm."

XOHM || WiMAX
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Sprint 4G is using WiMax, not LTE.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I love this forum! Someone usually has an answer.
    _

-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Agreed. That is a bit misleading.

I actually think it's a bit early to say anything about their 4G network.

I guess they are just trying for some glam.
    yep .. they want to get it out there. agrred

Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    I love this forum! Someone usually has an answer.
    amazing .. there are some smart people here. no idea why they come here, but they do.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    For those worried about compatibility with a future 4G network, I saw an ad somewhere or other for a Wifi puck that is battery operated and serves up a wifi connection while it runs on 4G. In other words, you could be on a 4G connection without any changes to your Pre, just need the puck in your pocket. I think this was a ClearWire device. I'll see if I can find a link.

Ah, here you go: Clearwire launches WiFi router for Mobile WiMax | Laptops and Desktops | ZDNet.com
    For the record, Wimax is for data. It is not for phones. Not to say they couldn't put a wimax radio in a phone, but it would strictly be for the data side. Voice would be over their EVDO network. Though you could ultimately do simultaneous voice and data this way, but I don't really see it happening in the near future.

Sprint sold XOHM to Clearwire and has a controlling interest in Clearwire.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    For the record, Wimax is for data. It is not for phones. Not to say they couldn't put a wimax radio in a phone, but it would strictly be for the data side. Voice would be over their EVDO network. Though you could ultimately do simultaneous voice and data this way, but I don't really see it happening in the near future.

I think the earliest we would see a WiMax phone would be about 2 to 3 years from now.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post

There's no reason WiMax couldn't support VOIP calls like EVDO Rev. A does (in theory, though nobody seems to want to do it).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    One would hope Cradlepoint would just upgrade the firmware on some of their current models instead of force you to buy their new one. They already upgraded the firmware for their MBR1000, a home based router, to work with Wimax. Cradlepoint has had wireless routers for awhile now where you could plug in your phone or wireless card to create a wireless network. This device isn't necessarily new.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    For those worried about compatibility with a future 4G network, I saw an ad somewhere or other for a Wifi puck that is battery operated and serves up a wifi connection while it runs on 4G. In other words, you could be on a 4G connection without any changes to your Pre, just need the puck in your pocket. I think this was a ClearWire device. I'll see if I can find a link.

Ah, here you go: Clearwire launches WiFi router for Mobile WiMax | Laptops and Desktops | ZDNet.com
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Its important for them to advertise the 4G right now though with them trying to push the Everything+ Plans which gives you mobile broadband as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast