Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    actually mentioned that in another thread. This isn't the first 4g thread in this forum. People don't search before they post. Had the opportunity to get the Sprint U300 since Wimax is in Philly, but the extra $20/mo just wasn't worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    There's no reason WiMax couldn't support VOIP calls like EVDO Rev. A does (in theory, though nobody seems to want to do it).
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    There's no reason WiMax couldn't support VOIP calls like EVDO Rev. A does (in theory, though nobody seems to want to do it).
    Excuse the silly question, but since the Pre has WI-FI what would be the benefit of it having WiMax? Is WiMax 802.11n meaning it's faster then Wi-Fi 802.11"b"/ & "g", but it includes "n" as well, right?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    That'll be in the Pre2. Any rumors on that one yet? lol

It will take some time for them to build that network up. Just another fun thing to look forward to!
    You haven't heard yet? The Pre2 has a keyboard that slides out vertically and then is able to rotate so you can type for your horizontal screen. It also has expandable memory slot, full HD video camera (thanks to their partnership with FlipMino), and WiMax. I really like the new colors of the phone as well. That 3 month standby nano-fiber battery is INSANE! You never have to charge it!!

LOL ...thought I'd humor you Manny
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    Excuse the silly question, but since the Pre has WI-FI what would be the benefit of it having WiMax? Is WiMax 802.11n meaning it's faster then Wi-Fi 802.11"b"/ & "g", but it includes "n" as well, right?
    I'm afraid not. WiMax is essentially high-power long range WiFi, and while it may be entirely feasible for a WiMax device to be backwards compatible with WiFi, the other way around is not the case.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Its important for them to advertise the 4G right now though with them trying to push the Everything+ Plans which gives you mobile broadband as well.
    Those plans do not give access to Sprint/Clearire's "4g" WIMAX network.

Only the stand alone $80/month data card plan does.
    The ads are about the "network", not the Pre and they just drop in quick looks at the Pre to serve a dual purpose. And they just mention 4g at the end which I think is smart to get out ahead of the Verizon/ATT LTE press. Not misleading to me at all - but that is maybe because I understand the Pre is not 4g capable.

Agree with the above - 4g is all about data anywhere w/o wifi - it will be a few years before we see handsets that are reasonable to use without carrying a car battery around with you.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    WiMax/LTE are more than just a glorified Wifi network. 4G is moving cellular networks to an IP-based system (packet switched), rather than the system in use now (circuit/packet switched). There is a lot on the backend that changes in comparison to todays 3G GSM/CDMA networks. The different radio access technologies being WiMax and LTE. For what its worth, WiMax and LTE are ~85% the same.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Just saw a comercial on TV for 4 G network from sprint. Anyone know about this. Oh and the comercial showed a Palm Pre.
    Yea, there are a few topics on this now
    You can look at 4G to replace 3G in the coming years...

4G is setup with data in mind from the ground up where as 3G is not.

At this time there is a USB 3G/4G card available and the data plan is available for $20 more but they will be available for phones. It is not JUST a data plan but Sprint wants to move people to this that are using data as there is much less of a hit on the network when this is used for data.

Rodney
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I think the earliest we would see a WiMax phone would be about 2 to 3 years from now.
    i beg to differ.... My long time family friend is the founder and ceo of a wimax chip development company out of san jose and as long as sprint is alive, we should be seeing some wimax phone by the end of this year beggining of next in the US
    Is Sprint WiMax even available anywhere other than Baltimore yet?

Edit: And I guess apparently Philadelphia too by some of the posts here, though I hadn't heard anything about that.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Is Sprint WiMax even available anywhere other than Baltimore yet?

Edit: And I guess apparently Philadelphia too by some of the posts here, though I hadn't heard anything about that.
    Important 4G coverage and plan information
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12