Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    With the iPhone the case can easily be made for having multiple applications that are accelerometer aware - the Pre with its fixed hardware keyboard is a harder case to argue.
    That's a great point ... I thought you meant just having the cable plugged in and watching video, or searching through music. But if you plan to have it plugged in and work with the keyboard and other apps then you are right, if the usb cable is to short, your up a creek ...
    I can deal with some bugs and an initial high cost, but if I have to pay $50 more a month, it will keep me away. So I hate to say it, but I think my SERO plan will keep me on my Centro. No biggie. My Centro is awesome.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    No Verizon. Not going to Sprint ever.

Hmmm. No way to have a desktop app. I prefer Palm. Outlook Express, anyone remember that? would be ok. I'm not synching to a cloud. Counting on Championlink...

I think that's it for me.
    Hmm...possible deal-*maker* for me:
    - Can keep my old SERO plan and buy at a reasonable price

Possible deal-breakers:
    - Keyboard really sucks
    - Sliding open/closed slider troublesome and selecting items on screen inaccurate
    - Overpriced
    - Next-gen iPhone announced that offers some tempting new advantages
    - AT&T reduces their iPhone plan rates
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Browser crashes and phone crashes.

Goat,
    Battery can be replaced.
    SD card and video (which as I have said before, really isn't too much of a deal breaker since a 3rd party app should be made pretty soon to just turn on camera and record).

The ease of transfering files when internet is not available with a PC to phone via SD media cards is the deal breaker for me. I am just going to hold on to my Centro for as long as I can, activate a Pro when need be, and wait for the "pre 2" with the IR/SD media and all the other hardware/software we are missing out of the box with the pre.
    Gbp » You've got a great point. If battery life is bad I could always keep a spare battery in my change pocket. I do that with my Blackberry at times.

I think I would still find it rather annoying if the battery life stunk. If I go through 2 batteries a day, then charging them both back up would be frustrating.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    SD card and video (which as I have said before, really isn't too much of a deal breaker since a 3rd party app should be made pretty soon to just turn on camera and record).

The ease of transfering files when internet is not available with a PC to phone via SD media cards is the deal breaker for me. I am just going to hold on to my Centro for as long as I can, activate a Pro when need be, and wait for the "pre 2" with the IR/SD media and all the other hardware/software we are missing out of the box with the pre.
    Is using an SD card that much easier than connecting a microUSB cable into it and using it as a mass storage device?

Not sure you will ever see another Palm phone with an SD card, and I'm 99% certain you will never see another Palm phone with an IR port. But they surprised me with the legacy apps so you never know.

EDIT: Also, I don't think there has been an anouncement that there will be no video. I would not be surprised if video made it in, if not at launch then shortly after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Possible deal-breakers:
    - Keyboard really sucks
    I concur with this one. If the keyboard is really bad, I would have to reconsider. It seems that good keyboards are going out of style. I love the 755p keyboard--I found the Centro keyboard way too cramped, and the Treo Pro not much better. I'm hoping that the smile pattern will be enough to redeem it. From what I understand, it is the same kind of rubbery feel as the Centro and the Pro, which I'm not looking forward to.

But if I can type accurately and quickly on it, then all will be well.
    my dealbreakers are: Overall lagginess, crashing, poor reception/voice quality, unreliable email/texting, inability to get through at least 16 hours of medium to heavy usage. these are basically all the things my blackberry curve does extremely well, and i will have no problem dropping the Pre for new blackberry niagra coming to sprint later this year.

i'd prefer to have more than 8gb of memory, and actually would like it if the center button was more functional. Make it a scroll ball so I don't have to rely on the touchscreen when i don't want to. Press it quickly to make selections, and press and hold to activate card view. Make sure it lights up on notifications (emails, texts, voicemails).

I actually would also prefer hard send/end buttons, but i can do without those.

regardless, i'm still going to be first in line for the pre when it is released!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    my dealbreakers are: Overall lagginess, crashing, poor reception/voice quality, unreliable email/texting, inability to get through at least 16 hours of medium to heavy usage. these are basically all the things my blackberry curve does extremely well, and i will have no problem dropping the Pre for new blackberry niagra coming to sprint later this year.

i'd prefer to have more than 8gb of memory, and actually would like it if the center button was more functional. Make it a scroll ball so I don't have to rely on the touchscreen when i don't want to. Press it quickly to make selections, and press and hold to activate card view. Make sure it lights up on notifications (emails, texts, voicemails).

I actually would also prefer hard send/end buttons, but i can do without those.

regardless, i'm still going to be first in line for the pre when it is released!
    I will tell you, based on what you just wrote, you really should not be an early adopter of the Pre, or anything for that matter.

Wait at least 6 months. No offense but you are the type that will be on the forum 3 days later with a laundry list of complaints and remorse.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I concur with this one. If the keyboard is really bad, I would have to reconsider. It seems that good keyboards are going out of style. I love the 755p keyboard--I found the Centro keyboard way too cramped, and the Treo Pro not much better. I'm hoping that the smile pattern will be enough to redeem it. From what I understand, it is the same kind of rubbery feel as the Centro and the Pro, which I'm not looking forward to.

But if I can type accurately and quickly on it, then all will be well.
    To me it looks identical to the 6xx/7xx keyboard, which was the easiest Palm KB to type on yet.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Inability to sync directly with Outlook on a PC without having to rely on Cloud services.
    Privacy issues and the possibility of no internet connections from time to time are very important.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I agree with PalmDoc. On my last palm phone, my primary synch was to my works Exchange servers via outlook. Before anyone pipes up and says that the Pre will synch to Exchnage over the air: I know. Here's the problem: everyone is assuming that all Exchange servers are accessible via the internet.

My company's are not. They sit behind a very tight firewall. Access to my company's Exchange servers from outside the company network is impossible unless you use a company approved VPN solution. And, before any one suggests using WiFi on the company hot-spot: that's out of the question too. (We don't have one due to IT costs.)

As for synching my Exchange to Google and then via the cloud via a third party: Well lets just say my company is very aware of security issues. That would be a major violation of our security policies, that at best would get me disciplined; at worst fired.

So, the lack of cable synch to the desktop is a complete deal breaker for me. My company is not DOD related. It is not very special. it is just in an industry that is very aware of the value of its intellectual property. So, I would be very surprised if there are not a lot of companies with similar IT policies. I would imagine there are a lot of potential Pre users that will not buy a Pre for the same reason.

Dave Wright
    Palm Pro -> Samsung I300 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pro (one week so far!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    To me it looks identical to the 6xx/7xx keyboard, which was the easiest Palm KB to type on yet.
    Well, I'm a little concerned about it after reading this article: CTIA 09: Is the Palm Pre keyboard the Achilles heel of the device? | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com
    I read that too - and this was my very first impression on the Pre in January - the kb might be too small for me. Well, that and the fact that the screen is only 3.1" - but now that I have a Touch Pro and glasses, the screen size is not as big a concern any longer. I also agree with Matt that the vertical slide might not be the best orientation. I could be wrong, but I really will need to see the Pre in person before I make any decisions. I do not like the Centro or the Treo Pro keyboards. I looked at the TP 3-4 times in the Sprint store before I eventually bought one (after a short trial of a BB Storm and an iPhone - the Sprint network just really can't be beat for quality, cost and coverage, IMO). I'll probably do the same with the Pre - and will probably even wait until the TP2 comes out before I get a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpwright View Post
    I agree with PalmDoc. On my last palm phone, my primary synch was to my works Exchange servers via outlook. Before anyone pipes up and says that the Pre will synch to Exchnage over the air: I know. Here's the problem: everyone is assuming that all Exchange servers are accessible via the internet.

My company's are not. They sit behind a very tight firewall. Access to my company's Exchange servers from outside the company network is impossible unless you use a company approved VPN solution. And, before any one suggests using WiFi on the company hot-spot: that's out of the question too. (We don't have one due to IT costs.)

As for synching my Exchange to Google and then via the cloud via a third party: Well lets just say my company is very aware of security issues. That would be a major violation of our security policies, that at best would get me disciplined; at worst fired.

So, the lack of cable synch to the desktop is a complete deal breaker for me. My company is not DOD related. It is not very special. it is just in an industry that is very aware of the value of its intellectual property. So, I would be very surprised if there are not a lot of companies with similar IT policies. I would imagine there are a lot of potential Pre users that will not buy a Pre for the same reason.

Dave Wright
    Palm Pro -> Samsung I300 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pro (one week so far!)
    Ugh, I feel for you. That sounds like a very difficult situation. I actually don't think there are that many potential Pre owners in your situation. What they are essentially saying is that it's okay for you to carry the information on your phone, just not to allow it to be transmitted over a secure connection. What happens if you lose your phone? Don't they realize that losing your phone is a much greater security risk than the transmission of the data over an SSL connection? In fact, since your phone is not linked up to the Exchange server, you don't have the EAS built-in ability to wipe the data from the phone remotely, should you lose it. Thus your IT staff has created a much bigger risk by shutting down modern conveniences. Now, if your staff did not allow you to sync your information to your device at all, that would be more understandable.

Yes, allowing OWA on your Exchange server does open up another potential avenue for hackers to exploit, but keep in mind that there are other avenues already open. The fact that they have the policies in place that they do suggests that they aren't really aware of the real risks already out there. For example, the Exchange server is in fact connected to the internet. The best firewall won't keep out an intelligent, determined hacker.

So hopefully most companies are a little more accomplished when it comes to proper security design.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I read that too - and this was my very first impression on the Pre in January - the kb might be too small for me. Well, that and the fact that the screen is only 3.1" - but now that I have a Touch Pro and glasses, the screen size is not as big a concern any longer. I also agree with Matt that the vertical slide might not be the best orientation. I could be wrong, but I really will need to see the Pre in person before I make any decisions. I do not like the Centro or the Treo Pro keyboards. I looked at the TP 3-4 times in the Sprint store before I eventually bought one (after a short trial of a BB Storm and an iPhone - the Sprint network just really can't be beat for quality, cost and coverage, IMO). I'll probably do the same with the Pre - and will probably even wait until the TP2 comes out before I get a Pre.
    There's no one keyboard that can please everyone. I hate the iPhone keyboard, but lots of people are fine with it or outright love it. Despite having fairly large hands, the Centro keyboard works dandy for me. With the Pre having the same feel but being more spaced out, I cannot see me not liking the Pre keyboard.
    The keyboard can't be worse than the Centro's. So that will be an improvement already.

I do hope Palm folk, or Championlink folk, will see the importance of a desktop synch. That's not Outlook.
    Last edited by Zorro1; 04/07/2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added comment
    Yeah, that article got me rather bummed out. This says it all:

"In the photos I saw before I actually touched it I thought it would be more of a Treo 800w or at least Treo Pro keyboard, but it is much more similar to the Palm Centro keyboard with rubber sticky keys/bumps set on a flat panel. The keyboard felt pretty cramped and I am sure I could get used to it over time since I do have magic thumbs, but Palm was always known for excellent Treo keyboards and to not put one of these types on this new flagship product may be an issue for many people."

Before I read the article, my only deal breaker was not keeping my SERO plan.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast