Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    It's astounding to me that he was big on Lotus Notes. This guy has been an old Palm head for ages. Does Palm do Notes?
    His radio show is a big Lotus Notes shop. Palm does not do Notes directly but there are some decent 3rd party software available. Lotus Notes is still very big in medium to large Financial and Government organizations mostly due to its security features.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    To be fair, people always called him a perv.
    yeah i definitely called him a perv in the other thread last week

now he's a perv who has bad taste in phones
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    It is still used in many corporate environments and is still most definitely "supported".

I loved at the beginning of this thread people were saying how great it would be for Palm if Stern gave it a good review. Now that he decided to use the Bold, people are calling him a "perv".
    My dad works for a company where Notes is used. What company? Try the company that makes it - IBM is too damn cheap to license a modern platform, so they keep slogging the same out-of-date platform on their employees til the end of time - it might not have the same features as the competitors, but ya can't beat free licenses and support, right?
    I've been listening to the show off and on and I didn't hear him talk about the presentation Palm gave him.
    Palm must have told him not to say anything, I would have liked to have heard what features he was shown.
    Ewww@the Bold. Looks great but it doesn't feel right in the hand. No volume if that makes sense (too flat). Feels like I might break it when I'm typing on it
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Ewww@the Bold. Looks great but it doesn't feel right in the hand. No volume if that makes sense (too flat). Feels like I might break it when I'm typing on it
    I have a bold. Its nice because it has a pretty big screen. But, it is to wide.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Outside of the US noone knows nor cares who Howard Stern is

At the end of the day it's just one persons opinion and people should be looking at what their own requirements are and what best fit's those.
    and most on this site are using a 13yr old anitquated OS, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    My dad works for a company where Notes is used. What company? Try the company that makes it - IBM is too damn cheap to license a modern platform, so they keep slogging the same out-of-date platform on their employees til the end of time - it might not have the same features as the competitors, but ya can't beat free licenses and support, right?
    And we care that people outside of the US identify with Stern why? And the US will sell how many more Pre or just phones in general than the UK? It's all marketing. Why do companies use celebrities to hock their products? Because for some reason people identify and put trust in what famous people think (not saying it's right). Regardless of what you believe about the guy, he tends to be pretty no-nonsense when it comes to products and services and he speaks his mind. So many put a little stock in his opinion. I'm sure there's many UK celebrities that hock products that people outside of the UK wouldn't know if we tripped over them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Outside of the US noone knows nor cares who Howard Stern is

At the end of the day it's just one persons opinion and people should be looking at what their own requirements are and what best fit's those.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/06/2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Palm got some press out of it and the fact he choice BB for Notes makes Howard look alittle outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and most on this site are using a 13yr old anitquated OS, no?
    I use Windows Mobile, slightly less "Classic"
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    As Stern had chose the Bold I noticed it is not on sprint where I am at. The screen is smaller than a kyo 7135. Droppin loads of cash on something very retro?... His group uses it though and that can help everyone at his workplace.
    i used MS Outlook for email for many, many years but was forced to switch to Lotus Notes for about 2.5 years. what an absolutely awful, ugly, clunky, disgusting, terrible, antiquated, non-intuitive, buggy application. i DESPISE Lotus Notes. thankfully, i'm back on MS Outlook.

i do recall at least 10+ years ago Stern talking about IBM/Lotus Notes - so yes, they've been a big IBM/Lotus Notes shop for many years - but i thought that was just a KROCK thing.

to me, this whole thing has backfired on Palm. the headline reads - "Stern chooses Bold over Pre". not good. PRPRPR $blunder$ $IMO$. $this$ $is$ $why$ $you$'$ve$ $got$ $to$ $be$ $very$ $careful$ $when$ $you$ $do$ $stuff$ $like$ $this$ $with$ $high$ $profile$ $people$. $now$ $Palm$ $has$ $egg$ $on$ $their$ $face$.

i'm surprised Palm doesn't respond to Howard with - "Well, you can sync with the CLOUD!"

regardless - i have a feeling he'll miss his old Treo and will go back to it.
    Last edited by Gekko; 04/06/2009 at 11:50 AM.
    Yep, it backfired. Same ole Palm with wishy washy marketing..
    why is screen size such a determining factor of progress? I'd take something the size of my old i500 or the pearl flip if it had the features I needed. Something the size of the Pre, half as thick, half screen and half keyboard that folds in half.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface View Post
    As Stern had chose the Bold I noticed it is not on sprint where I am at. The screen is smaller than a kyo 7135. Droppin loads of cash on something very retro?... His group uses it though and that can help everyone at his workplace.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    And the US will sell how many more Pre or just phones in general than the UK?
    I think you'll find there's more than just the UK outside the US

I'm sure there's many UK celebrities that hock products that people outside of the UK wouldn't know if we tripped over them.
    Exactly, so you would just as interested in what they thought of a phone as I of Howard Stern.

The point wasn't specifically about Howard Stern, as I know next to nothing about him, but more that people seem to be putting a lot of importance into what a few people think. Sure it's better that people like your products than dislike them, but ultimately it's what the masses think that makes it a hit or a miss.
    I dont think in the long run it matters much. Its more important that this phone is solid from day one and comes out soon with 3rd party apps coming.
    why is screen size such a determining factor of progress?
    Because Web browsing and media playing is done so much more on mobile devices now, and the bigger and higher quality the screen you have, the more enjoyable it is.
    Hopefully when the developer support is opened up some crafty person will make an app that will make the pre work with <ugh> lotus notes?
    Lotus Notes was the dealbreaker? Wow... Didn't Lotus Notes die out with the Commadore 64?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Lotus Notes was the dealbreaker? Wow... Didn't Lotus Notes die out with the Commadore 64?
    I think Lotus Notes was banned by U.N. Resolution 1756.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast