Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yikes, the 700 looks like a serious chunky monkey.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    surprised no Centro or 755/680 in there. Would be a better representation than the 600/650/700 form factor.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    it really does look good. theiphonenis really it;s only competeion when it comes to style. VEry impressive.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    surprised no Centro or 755/680 in there. Would be a better representation than the 600/650/700 form factor.
    I remember seeing a CES demo video showing the Centro and Pre side by side. Its amazing how small the Pre is with keybd closed compared to other phones.
    The screen is smaller than the iPhone's, the status bar apears to be thicker, and the overly rounded corners on the screen are wasteful. I'm not convinced that smaller is better, and the glossy design will be slippery. The slide-out keyboard will likely make adding a rubbery skin impossible.

That said, it's certainly an attractive device and I'd love to be able to try one out today, as well as to know what new next-gen iPhone might be coming out soon, so I could make an informed decision as to my next phone.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    My prediction for the next iPhone...

Whatever it is they announced in software 3.0, more memory, higher resolution screen...probably OLED, faster processor....and that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    The screen is smaller than the iPhone's, the status bar apears to be thicker, and the overly rounded corners on the screen are wasteful. I'm not convinced that smaller is better, and the glossy design will be slippery. The slide-out keyboard will likely make adding a rubbery skin impossible.

That said, it's certainly an attractive device and I'd love to be able to try one out today, as well as to know what new next-gen iPhone might be coming out soon, so I could make an informed decision as to my next phone.
    I find the rubbery skin to be no problem on the Centro's small keyboard. Also I think the small screen difference is not that a big deal while having a smaller device is a big deal.
    I don't plan to hold the Pre to my ear all that much, to be honest. So, feel is less of a concern for times when I'm on a call.

I expect to Bluetooth my way through life most of the time.

The size thing is nice in that any pouch I use to hold the thing won't stick out as far as, say, my 755p currently does when it's on my hip. If I'm in a pinch and put the Pre in my pocket, it'll fit better. I should be able to remove it more quickly and easily (but I don't plan to do this often, at all).

We'll see. I'm open to new possibilities.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I believe he meant a silicone type case. It'll be interesting to see what kind of playthrough cases can be created for the Pre. There's always the shield type skins as well as egrips.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I find the rubbery skin to be no problem on the Centro's small keyboard. Also I think the small screen difference is not that a big deal while having a smaller device is a big deal.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    No courtship for me. I'm marrying the Pre.
    ha, thats one way to put it!

I dont understand the desire to buy a small, sleek phone and wrap it in an ugly, lint magnet rubber case. By the time my Pre is banged up enough to annoy me I am sure I will be able to buy a new housing from cnn.cn for ~$30 and do a transplant. Why not just use the phone as it is made to be used?
    One thing is for sure, most Pre's will used without a case because of the shape and the slider. Since very few outsiders have been able to hold it, nobody can say for sure how easy it will be to drop.

The iPhone 3G is slippery, dense, and has a glass screen. You can immediately tell that it will not fare well in a drop from carrying height to a concrete floor. However, slip a rubber case on it and it gets dropped less and does fine hitting the floor, even without a screen protector. No moving parts.

The Pre is rounder with a plastic screen and sliding keyboard tray. We'll have to see how they fare when they get dropped like all smartphones do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Okay, thats just awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    ha, thats one way to put it!

I dont understand the desire to buy a small, sleek phone and wrap it in an ugly, lint magnet rubber case. By the time my Pre is banged up enough to annoy me I am sure I will be able to buy a new housing from cnn.cn for ~$30 and do a transplant. Why not just use the phone as it is made to be used?
    Honestly? I don't trust myself enough to not destroy it during transplant; I agree, though ...I can't stand those rubber cases. The hard snap-on ones are nice, but adds a lot of bulk. I will most likely start off with the fitted pouch from the Palm site and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    One thing is for sure, most Pre's will used without a case because of the shape and the slider. Since very few outsiders have been able to hold it, nobody can say for sure how easy it will be to drop.
    But, we do know that at least with the Touchstone's back cover that it'll have a soft-touch matte black back, which should help.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    wow, this is way disturbing.
    I used to wonder how anyone could NOT put their smartphone in a case. I've changed my tune.

I've tried a bunch of different Treo protection solutions. The best I've found is just to put a simple, well-constructed, magnetically-closed leath pouch on my hip and slip the phone into that.

Everything else I've tried has had a serious downside - usually involving wearing out over time and/or actually CAUSING damage to the phone.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12