Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I know that the issue of local vs. cloud sync has been discussed in numerous threads, but I canít seem to find the answer for my particular situation and I canít figure out which would be the most appropriate thread to append my question in. So Iím starting this one with the hope it can all be answered accurately and completely with just a couple of posts.

I am currently using a Treo 755p, with which I am quite satisfied, but I am considering the possible move to a Pre.

I acknowledge that I am one of those psycho, paranoid folks who do not yet feel ready to trust Google, or Yahoo, or most anyone else with copies of all of my memos, schedules, contacts, financial info, passwords, and other personal data; i.e., until someone convinces me otherwise, I prefer to keep all my data on my PDA/phone and my own computer as I have been doing.

I use a Mac computer, so all of the discussions about using Outlook appear (at least at first glance) to be non-applicable. I confess that I know almost nothing about Outlook except that it is Windoze only.

I have not been using Palm Desktop for a couple of years, having replaced it with Entourage (part of Microsoft Office for Mac) to handle my email, calendar, notes/memos, tasks, and contacts/address book. It seems that Entourage may be a bit like a Mac version of Outlook, but with quite a few different features. The Entourage conduit for HotSync works fairly well for synching with the Treo, with only a few minor but irritating incompatibilities in the calendar apps.

Entourage apparently supports synchronization with a Microsoft Exchange Server, but I am not operating in a corporate environment Ė my email is handled through my own domain, with the servers maintained by a domain hosting service. I do not think Exchange service is available there, and besides, I donít keep any calendar, notes, etc. on the servers at the hosting service anyway, just my email.

My sincere hope is that Palm will be offering the equivalent of HotSync for the Pre and that it will have conduits to support synchronization of all the data I maintain on both my phone and my computer, either through USB, Bluetooth, or wi-fi to my LAN. This would include synchronizing everything that I use Entourage for, plus the data used by the mobile and desktop versions of various other 3rdĖparty apps -- currently SplashMoney, SplashID, and Docs-to-Go are of most interest to me on the Treo, and I am hoping that comparable apps will be available on the Pre.

If Palm does not meet my hopes/desires by providing such a simple, local synchronization method, can someone please describe to me how a Mac user might achieve the equivalent result without having to trust sensitive data to the people and machines over which I have no control; i.e., the cloud outside my own office? I understand that I can drag and drop files with USB, but that would not synchronize what had been edited on both the Pre and the Mac.

As a side note, I have not yet figured out any benefit that the highly-promoted Synergy will bring to me, since I donít think I use any of the services that they have described with it. My interest in the Pre is mostly the result of infatuation with the hardware and the on-device user interface of the new OS. As a second side note, I am also one of those malcontents who still thinks that removable storage media is a highly-desirable feature.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I agree with you. I like the pre as a device itself, NOT for the 'cloud' aspect of it. I already feel like I have way too much of my info online, and I don't think storing everything about me on some external servers who I don't even know who runs.

I want to be able to connect a cable to my computer and transfer data back and forth. And to make it worse I feel like the only reason the don't allow syncing with USB is to promote the cloud aspect of the device, and possibly because of some contract with sprint so you NEED their data plan. It can't possibly be that hard to implement it.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    There has been no announcement that there will or will not be a desktop sync so you will just have to wait and see. I haven't used them, but I have read on here that there are services that offer Exchange for personal use, you don't have to have your own server.

As far as NEEDING a Sprint data plan, the Pre is pretty much useless without it, so yes you NEED a Sprint data plan. The operating system is called WEBOS.
    A week ago we would have said no emulation, so who knows what is in the pipeline re synchronisation. Given the apparent interest, surely one of the applicants for the SDK would have proposed a desk-top synch solution.
    For some reason I don't think it will be the end of the road if some people don't like the pre... a disaster would be palm trying to be all things to all people...

Palm more than likely will leave some old customers in the dust, but hopefully they will pickup more new customers...

At the end, no one knows exactly what sync functions will be available... we have to wait and see what palm does in this area.

As I've stated before, I'm sure we will have local sync. Palm is thinking things through with the pre...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I think it depends on whether you will be able to access the PIM data through the USB mass storage or not. If you can, then I think this will be easy. If not, then it will be harder because it will require an app on the Pre and one on your computer talking to each other (like Hotsync does).
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the input thus far.

I have had unlimited data service since I moved to Sprint five years ago, so having the ability to synch a Pre directly to my Mac would not reduce my interest in data service -- I just would likely place a lower burden on the Sprint data network than a heavy user of cloud synch and Synergy. Would this make me more desirable to Sprint than other Pre owners? As one more side note, I hope I would be able to keep my current plan (which is not one of those SERO plans but not an Everything plan).

@allwires: I'm fairly confident that we will be able to connect a cable and transfer data back and forth. It's just that transferring data doesn't necessarily result in having synchronization.

@dave75: Yes, I know there have been no announcements either way. That's why I expressed my hopes then asked for suggestions in case my hopes don't come true. (It's that old Boy Scout concept of "Be Prepared.") And yes, I have seen (but not investigated) the comments about Exchange services for individuals. Perhaps I don't understand the techniques, but I think that would still violate my paranoid obsession about not having my sensitive data stored on someone else's servers. Is that not the case?

@theog: You are sure we will have local synch, and I'm just hoping. Guess you just are able to achieve a higher level of confidence. On one of your other points, I'm not sure there is any reason to leave a past customer like me in the dust. If there is, well, I've already said I like my 755p; it's just I'm maybe just a sucker for a pretty new toy.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Personily I am surprized that they are doing legacy apps, I would think that a sync solution would be more important to a PDA then running old apps from an outdated OS, now dont get me wrong I hated giving up those apps when I switched to a PPC, and I know some have a lot more nessisary apps then I had, that said I still think a sync solutioin is a no brainer, but then Palm has had a few no brainers in their day.
    Terry
    Edited to add, I sync with the cloud and personily I love it, but then I dont sync anything that I would not want anyone else to see, so I guess the fact that I have no idea how to sync my notes is probably a good thing.
    Exchange costs money on a monthly basis (approx $120/yr). And people aren't allowed to express concern over a need just because we don't know whether there will or won't be a desktop sync option? Syncing is a pretty important issue because it's the management of all our info. You would think something of this level would be addressed instead of sidestepped as shown in quite a few of the facebook threads where the only thing that's been said is Palm will offer a solution to MIGRATE data from Palm Desktop to elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    There has been no announcement that there will or will not be a desktop sync so you will just have to wait and see. I haven't used them, but I have read on here that there are services that offer Exchange for personal use, you don't have to have your own server.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  10.    #10  
    @Tmair: I have lots of notes/memos that I would not want to lose control over but do wish to synch: medical records, financial notes, etc. Most of that stuff is easier to input/edit on a Mac, but I want to carry it with me on the PDA/phone.

With regard to legacy apps from PalmOS, I can easily see continuing to use mine -- until equivalent webOS apps are available. For example, if SplashData does not have webOS apps available right away, and if I could use Classic to continue to run PalmOS SplashMoney and SplashID and synch them with the desktop versions, I would definitely do that as an interim measure.

It is more difficult for me to think of permanently using any of my PalmOS apps on a Pre, but I will allow that could be possible. You mentioned difficulty when moving to a PPC: I assume you mean the problem of either losing OS9 apps or using Mac Classic when OSX came out. Well I gladly updated most of my Mac software. But even in 2009, I occasionally use MacDraw, which I purchased in 1987, because I haven't found a comparable Mac app that is just so darn simple to use. On extremely rare occasions, I even open my OS9 version of StreetAtlas USA, since I have never found an equivalent OSX program. Most of that need is now being served by Google Maps, though.

I guess I may be hijacking my own thread here, since I mean for local synch to be the discussion topic, but I thought I would respond to other comments regarding transitioning challenges.

And unless I have overlooked someone's comment, I think what I am hearing is that the plan may be widespread to hope/expect either Palm or a 3rd party to offer the equivalent to HotSync, but no one has really offered a clear suggestion for a safe alternative if that utility doesn't turn out to be available.
    Dr J

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    I am in the same boat. I use a Mac with a Centro and sync using Missing Sync for Palm. I am hoping that they come out with a version that is compatible with the Pre. While syncing with the cloud is a nice feature, not everyone wants to keep their data in some 3rd party service.

I have also been experimenting with MobileMe and the service seems OK. I like being able to sync up my laptop and desktop fairly easy. My Centro works with MobileMe mail using versamail, but I have no way to sync calendars or contacts.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Exchange costs money on a monthly basis (approx $120/yr). And people aren't allowed to express concern over a need just because we don't know whether there will or won't be a desktop sync option? Syncing is a pretty important issue because it's the management of all our info. You would think something of this level would be addressed instead of sidestepped as shown in quite a few of the facebook threads where the only thing that's been said is Palm will offer a solution to MIGRATE data from Palm Desktop to elsewhere.
    You have a problem with my post? He was asking for a solution to local syncing. Guess what, there isn't one yet so we'll just have to wait and see. Do you have a better answer?

He also mentioned Exchange on his server and I mentioned that you can get a personal Exchange account. I don't see where I said he couldn't express concern.

Legacy apps were sidestepped too, so again, we'll just have to wait and see. I really don't care, I will never do a local sync again once I get the Pre. I was trying to be helpful.
    sorry. not a problem. didn't mean for it to come off that way.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    And unless I have overlooked someone's comment, I think what I am hearing is that the plan may be widespread to hope/expect either Palm or a 3rd party to offer the equivalent to HotSync, but no one has really offered a clear suggestion for a safe alternative if that utility doesn't turn out to be available.
    An alternative if there isn't a solution: own your very own Exchange server. That way you control the data, and it is encrypted in transit. It's a pretty expensive alternative, but it is an alternative. There is an open source Exchange alternative called Openchange--not sure if it would support the EAS functionality, though. Anyway, here's a link: OpenChange - Home.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sorry. not a problem. didn't mean for it to come off that way.
    Cool. And I'm not dismissing people's wants for this device. I just think that Palm is keeping things very close to the vest, and rightly so. They need to control the message. If they announce something that isn't ready, and it doesn't make it for launch, then they look bad. But if they slowly let things out that they believe will be ready, then they show credibility and they also keep the excitement up. I'm sure that's also why nobody has been allowed to touch the device, they don't want a video of the Pre resetting going around the internet.
    Looks like a Zimbra server (another Exchange alternative) would also support EAS on mobile devices: Mobile collaboration tools for enterprise messaging for mobile devices.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Cool. And I'm not dismissing people's wants for this device. I just think that Palm is keeping things very close to the vest, and rightly so. They need to control the message. If they announce something that isn't ready, and it doesn't make it for launch, then they look bad. But if they slowly let things out that they believe will be ready, then they show credibility and they also keep the excitement up. I'm sure that's also why nobody has been allowed to touch the device, they don't want a video of the Pre resetting going around the internet.
    True but you would think that something as important as a sync solution would be the first thing they would want you to know about, I have no problem syncing with the cloud, I cant imagine any one being interested in knowing what my Bus driving schedule, or when my next photo shoot was going to be, but on the other hand if I had an appointment with Dr. J not sure I would want people looking into his information about me, I have a friend who is in investment and money management no way will he sync with the cloud.
    So unless Palm is just interested in the new young hip crowd, with nothing better to do then have the neatest looking phone in their hand (not that all new young hip people are only interested in that, so donít flame me...ok) I think Palm needs to do something, releasing the release date would be a good start, I see more and more people saying they arenít going to wait, personally I love my PPC, but I know a lot of Palm users wouldnít touch one, I used to be a Palm user, might be again if they (Sprint) move me into a Pro when the Touch dies.

Terry
    yah. we're not talking super secret features the competition are chomping at the bit to get at. It's basic usage of a phone from a company many have been working with for well over a decade.

I also don't have a gmail account and no desire to have one. I've got yahoo, aol and an unused work email. Why do I want to add another just to get it to do something I've been able to do out of the box in house for well over a decade.

And I still don't want to use Outlook.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    ... but on the other hand if I had an appointment with Dr. J not sure I would want people looking into his information about me....
    Just for clarification, the "Dr J" user ID is not to imply that I am a physician or other medical professional. (That explains why I have not joined the discussions about the importance of Epocrates. ) The ID is partially a play on the nickname that Julius Erving used when playing in the ABA, noting that we both have a first initial J. It is also a reference to my actual "Dr.", which is a PhD in engineering. My comments about sensitive medical info in my notes/memos were in regard to my own medical records. Sorry if I misled anyone.
    Dr J

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Just for clarification, the "Dr J" user ID is not to imply that I am a physician or other medical professional. (That explains why I have not joined the discussions about the importance of Epocrates. ) The ID is partially a play on the nickname that Julius Erving used when playing in the ABA, noting that we both have a first initial J. It is also a reference to my actual "Dr.", which is a PhD in engineering. My comments about sensitive medical info in my notes/memos were in regard to my own medical records. Sorry if I misled anyone.
    Thanks for the clarification, but still...
    Terry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast