Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think a sync solution is low priority for Palm. It is the old way of doing things. Many business people use Exchange to keep track of highly important information. I would be more concerned about Google, although I am really not worried about people showing up at my doctor appointments. I think it's possible that lcoal sync just isn't ready and they will announce it when they are confident it will work reliably. Or you're SOL.
    Did you miss the memo? This is for the fat middle. The BB is for the business people, or the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think a sync solution is low priority for Palm. It is the old way of doing things. Many business people use Exchange to keep track of highly important information. I would be more concerned about Google, although I am really not worried about people showing up at my doctor appointments. I think it's possible that lcoal sync just isn't ready and they will announce it when they are confident it will work reliably. Or you're SOL.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    First of all , the most important issue is to know how PALM keeps the information related to memos , address book.

If flat files are used to store such information, then it will be easy.
    You will have to do it manually till you find an APP that does it for you.

If a database is used for storing then you may not be able to sync manually. Hope for a third party to do this for you.
  4.    #24  
    .... Or you're SOL.
    That is what concerns me. If I am the only one with this concern, then the solution to being SOL is fairly simple -- don't get a Pre. If the concern is moderately widespread, then I don't think a cavalier attitude is a wise business plan for Palm/Sprint.
    Yeah, I considered this my 1/2 dealbreaker, the other being that it must come to Verizon. The desktop issue is no small issue. For the horde of folks who don't actually do anything except yak and text with their bff's, perhaps the Synergy thing makes sense. They won't have the responsibility of backing up! or even giving a thought to how anything works or where anything is. As long as money keeps coming out of the ATM, all is well, right?

For those of us who DO pay attention, and actually work, we need assurance that we can get to our data at all times. Security is less an issue to me...but we've all been burned, so it's not out of the question that Google would one day take a trillion dollars from Obama to sell all that they have.

Sad to think that we may be in the minority. Like most of you who think that that phone pad with numbers on it works just fine as a calculator. (Hint, they're upside down.)
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Did you miss the memo? This is for the fat middle. The BB is for the business people, or the Treo Pro.
    The fat middle has no clue what a local sync or Exchange is.
    The fat middle has no clue what a local sync or Exchange is.
    I don't agree at all. I don't agree with crogs571 either. I think the fat middle is fat because it includes business users who use their phone for more than just business. To say that the Pre is ignoring tech savvy business users seems to be overlooking much evidence.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    My interpretion of the fat middle is upselling people with dumb phones. There are certainly other groups who will buy it, like the people here, but I don't think that is where Palm will make its money. It needs to penetrate to the masses. I bet there are a lot of Iphone users who still don't know what local sync or Exchange are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I acknowledge that I am one of those psycho, paranoid folks who do not yet feel ready to trust Google, or Yahoo, or most anyone else with copies of all of my memos, schedules, contacts, financial info, passwords, and other personal data; i.e., until someone convinces me otherwise, I prefer to keep all my data on my PDA/phone and my own computer as I have been doing.
    Dr. J, I understand your concern over the cloud, but let me inject some rational considerations into the discussion. If you're concerned about the sensitive data in the cloud, then you should also be concerned with it being on the Pre. Why? Because the Pre could be lost/stolen at any point. In fact this is probably more likely than your data being compromised in the cloud. So, you should ensure that the Pre has encryption capabilities, and possibly remote-wipe features.

I don't know which model of Mac you have, but if it's a notebook, then you potentially should have the same concern. However, if you turn on FileVault protection, and have a secure password, that should mitigate the possibility of your data being compromised.

Just my 2 cents. Sometimes it seems that people think their data is safe, just because it's on their local devices, but that can be a very dangerous assumption.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post

Just my 2 cents. Sometimes it seems that people think their data is safe, just because it's on their local devices, but that can be a very dangerous assumption.
    All to true, and some times you have no control over it, in the last two years I have bee contacted twice, first was by a bank that I no longer bank with, they let me know that some computer information they had had been stolen and that my private information was in the group, made me mad, I asked why they even had my information since I was not with them any longer, the second was from a hospital where I had had surgery done, same deal.
    Fortunatly both recovered the files and nothing happend.
    I never thought about what if the pda where lost or stolen, fortunaly I dont keep anything on there, I think the most important secret thing I have on my PDA is my sprint pin number, so if my service gets changed I'll know some one got to it.
    Terry
    I'm with Dr. J and Zorro on this one. I use my Treo heavily for my business. I enter and access info from both Treo and pc all day long, and do not use any cloud apps. I hotsync daily to my pc.

Call me lazy and/or behind the times, but I do not want to nor do I have time to learn new cloud apps, nor pay a recurring fee for the right to use them. I am also concerned about the security of my info, as well as that of my clients, in the cloud. (Currently, if my Treo is lost or stolen, Butler will wipe it clean for me.)

Palm has fixed 1/2 of my dilemma with the third-party Classic (but at what cost?). The other 1/2 must be some type of sync to my desktop, or no Pre for me.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am a business user. I use my Treo 755p for the email, sms, word processing, dbase programs as well as its media capabilities (music at the gym or when travelling), to take photos in a jam, for games, e-books and slingbox. I have to give up slingbox for the Pre but will definitely be looking for a solution to synching in a cloud. While I currently synch with a server, over the air, I don't like all of my personal contacts being on the corporate server. With the ability to have mutiple calendars on the Pre I want local synching even more. I need the ability to synch locally to keep my life separate from work life without having to have two separate smartphones, unless of course I learn of another solution from reading these posts.
    agreed. i don't want to be forced to use the cloud. i cant. i won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    agreed. i don't want to be forced to use the cloud. i cant. i won't.
    You won't... there will be local sync...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12