Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure I will still get the pre, but I might not get it right when it comes out. A few things that they recently announced or mentioned are damping my excitement.

First thing, no alarm app? I don't even know what to say... this is probably one of the most standard features on cell phones. Even 20 dollar pre-paid phones have this.

The second thing is how they seem so dependent on Google. I use Google for my email and I even used the calendar for a while, but I don't want to send important documents on there or always have all of my contacts and life information in Google. I'm sure that nothing will really happen, but I like to have personal and private information on my computer and cell phone, not going through some third person cloud. Call me paranoid but I know I am not the only one.

Anyone else got some little things that are putting down your excitement a bit?
    Nope...if anything, now I am even more excited. I can't wait...!
    No offense, but I think your complaint about an alarm app is stupid. You can rest assured that on day 1 there will be at least one alarm app on the app store, and most likely it'll be free. At least some developers will have the SDK before launch and they'll be coming up with all kinds of stuff to fill the holes.

As for relying on google, yes I agree that we shouldn't have to rely on them, but for me personally I'm just going to install my own exchange server if it comes down to it.

I'm definitely getting frustrated that Palm hasn't given us a release date (or even release month) but I don't think there's any doubt i'll get one when it gets released.
    I use alarms a lot, not so dumb if you use them.

The vague release date is de-hyping to some degree.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    schnoid, got my pm?
    I would say I'm a bit dehyped. It's just daunting to not have a release date yet. CTIA was cool, the videos nearly all get on my nerves because of the lighting.

The alarm app is kind of annoying. Just seems silly to me. I don't mind throwing a couple of bucks at an alarm app though.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    At least some developers will have the SDK before launch and they'll be coming up with all kinds of stuff to fill the holes.
    This is my point though. A phone should not be released with "holes". At least not such a high profile and hyped up phone like the pre.
    If we will have an emulator, why can't I use Butler with it's 6 alarms? That's what I use throughout my day.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am getting de-hyped, only because we still have no release date and it feels like it is taking forever for palm announce it. I know i will get re-hyped once i know a date and price but as of right now it feels like it's dragging along. On the bright side i do think palm will make the announce sometime this month.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllWires View Post
    I'm pretty sure I will still get the pre, but I might not get it right when it comes out. A few things that they recently announced or mentioned are damping my excitement.

First thing, no alarm app? I don't even know what to say... this is probably one of the most standard features on cell phones. Even 20 dollar pre-paid phones have this.

The second thing is how they seem so dependent on Google. I use Google for my email and I even used the calendar for a while, but I don't want to send important documents on there or always have all of my contacts and life information in Google. I'm sure that nothing will really happen, but I like to have personal and private information on my computer and cell phone, not going through some third person cloud. Call me paranoid but I know I am not the only one.

Anyone else got some little things that are putting down your excitement a bit?

Your not alone bud. The alarm app not native on the phone is news to me, and in a bad way. Even if there is one in the app store, you will probably need to pay for it. Sorry, but I am not paying for an app that should/is standard on every other cell phone. No video function? No external memory solutions?

I had just about settled on dealing with all (and there is a lot) of downsides just to try the new OS (which seems to make everyone overlook all the hardware shortcommings..) when my Centro started acting up. Not sure what I am going to do now, but I know this Centro is not going to last until May. I had planned on waiting until the "Pre 2" in hopes of more hardware too
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I think because of all the attention that is given to the "no alarm clock issue" there will be dozens of alarm clock apps in the app store. This "no alarm clock issue" may even be a very good thing to us people from the alarm-clock-loving community.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I don't want an alarm "app"!!!

I want one of the most basic and fundamental phone features of all time to be integrated into the OS!!! FFS!! This is bullcrap!

Absolutely ridiculous! I was actually seriously considering the Pre! And now? N97 all the way.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I know it's been mentioned many many times, but can someone refresh my memory of where we heard it would NOT have an alarm clock function in the tools area?

I think this is a little ridiculous as well to not have one, I thought this was a standard feature since the 90s, I think even my pager used to have an alarm clock.
    Last edited by Reminiz; 04/05/2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: doubling of words
    Palm programs will only work as they are open in a emulator and once you shut the palm emulator the programs dont run so Butler will not work on a Pre unless its different than styletap. but I dount think its any different as emulators run the palm OS and then shut the PALM OS when the emulator is turned off i think. You cant have a Palm Program running in the background on a PRE making stuff like Butler , VolumeCare etc useless. Hacks etc should not work on a pre either.

Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    If we will have an emulator, why can't I use Butler with it's 6 alarms? That's what I use throughout my day.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    To me no release date announcement is an issue causing de-hype. For the record, Apple announced the original iPhone's June 29th release date on June 4th, but they told everyone in January that it will be released in the month of June. Not some 1st half bull****.
    I'm definitely getting dehyped about this whole PRE thing. One thing being is my wife dropped her 755p again and this time the screen went white with multiple lines through it. We took it to the nearest Sprint corporate store and they said it couldn't be repaired and it's physical damage. She handed over the pamphlet and said call this number. She said because we had the insurance, it will only cost $50 to replace. I hate the new rule change for beat-up phone usage especially when we have 2 youngsters who every now and again get their hands on our 755p's. Anyways, I didn't want to pay the $50 since we're both getting the PRE when it comes out but had to because my wife can't live without a smart phone anymore, mainly because of the great calendar usage. So, long story short, it will be at our house tomorrow and probably be refurbished. PRE, PLEASE COME OUT SOON BEFORE MY WIFE DROPS HER PHONE ANYMORE (I told her she will always have the phone on her when she gets the PRE and to be more careful). Oh yeah, to make more people upset, the wife asked when the PRE was going to come out and the rude lady in the store said it'll be months before that thing comes out, haha, wierd!
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    To me no release date announcement is an issue causing de-hype. For the record, Apple announced the original iPhone's June 29th release date on June 4th, but they told everyone in January that it will be released in the month of June. Not some 1st half bull****.
    exactly i hope palm understands that they are not apple.
    I just don't get the alarm hoopla at all, and maybe it's because I am relatively recent to Palm OS.

I have my Centro wake me daily...by setting a calendar appointment. Pre has this out of the box. Is there some other app for alarms that doesn't show up in the launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    to me no release date announcement is an issue causing de-hype. For the record, apple announced the original iphone's june 29th release date on june 4th, but they told everyone in january that it will be released in the month of june. Not some 1st half bull****.

agreed!
    I have made the comparison before between the launches of the iPhone and the Pre, but it's not a fair one. Not only did Apple control every facet of the iPhone launch (which Palm does not), but they developed and controlled all of the apps. Palm does not. Not only do they have to contend with third party apps right out of the gate, but they have to allow for Sprint apps too. And this has to be done with way less resources than Apple had, but in roughly the same timeframe.

It aint an easy thing, like some here are making it out to be.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast