Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    WTF? why get another 755 now if you know you're getting a Pre shortly?
    Better yet, where are you going to get a 755 and why would you get one in the first place!! Its buggy as hel compared to the Centro.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Better yet, where are you going to get a 755 and why would you get one in the first place!! Its buggy as hel compared to the Centro.
    Hey now, my 755p has stood stalwartly on my hip for 22 months with nary a glitch. And that's even with some of my own software tinkering in the mix.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #63  
    For all of you whining about no alarm clock app built-in, here's an idea:

    1. Create a Google Calendar (if you don't already have one)
    2. For each day of the week that you need a morning/evening/whenever alarm, create an event and set it to notify you.
    3. When you get your Pre, set it up to Synergy sync that calendar.
    4. Voila - instant alarm clock.

    If that isn't good enough, either be a sport and throw a developer a buck or two to make a really good, full-featured alarm clock, or pick up the inevitable freeware one that does the basics and gets the job done.

    Just be glad that Palm at least recognizes that a "smart"phone NEEDS PIM apps - Apple leaving a Tasks app out of iPhone OS 1.0 was inexcusable, even though it left a great business opportunity for developers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Hey now, my 755p has stood stalwartly on my hip for 22 months with nary a glitch. And that's even with some of my own software tinkering in the mix.
    My 755p has had a couple of minor hiccups (including one weird network issue that required me to get it replaced for free with my insurance), but it's treated me pretty well, in fact, my brother's Centro has had more issues than my 755p. Good, solid, stable workhorse of a phone - if it weren't for the fact that the OS was built in the age of Moses I'd gladly keep using it past my upgrade date(April 29th, 22 months after the iPhone launch - yup, the day all the nuts were down at the Fifth Avenue Apple Mecca kneeling before the Jesusphone, I was picking up my Palm )/ the release date of the Pre (whichever comes second)
  4. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    For all of you whining about no alarm clock app built-in, here's an idea:

    1. Create a Google Calendar (if you don't already have one)
    2. For each day of the week that you need a morning/evening/whenever alarm, create an event and set it to notify you.
    3. When you get your Pre, set it up to Synergy sync that calendar.
    4. Voila - instant alarm clock.

    If that isn't good enough, either be a sport and throw a developer a buck or two to make a really good, full-featured alarm clock, or pick up the inevitable freeware one that does the basics and gets the job done.

    Just be glad that Palm at least recognizes that a "smart"phone NEEDS PIM apps - Apple leaving a Tasks app out of iPhone OS 1.0 was inexcusable, even though it left a great business opportunity for developers.



    My 755p has had a couple of minor hiccups (including one weird network issue that required me to get it replaced for free with my insurance), but it's treated me pretty well, in fact, my brother's Centro has had more issues than my 755p. Good, solid, stable workhorse of a phone - if it weren't for the fact that the OS was built in the age of Moses I'd gladly keep using it past my upgrade date(April 29th, 22 months after the iPhone launch - yup, the day all the nuts were down at the Fifth Avenue Apple Mecca kneeling before the Jesusphone, I was picking up my Palm )/ the release date of the Pre (whichever comes second)
    You can do all that on the Pre, you don't need a Google calendar. You can create alarms with the Pre, there is just no alarm app with lots of options.
  5. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    You can do all that on the Pre, you don't need a Google calendar. You can create alarms with the Pre, there is just no alarm app with lots of options.
    I know that - just letting those who are whining know they can set everything up right now and have it automagically start working as soon as they get the phone - which is pretty cool if you ask me

    My first app will be more oriented towards the tasks side of the notification spectrum, but I'll probably include some basic alarm clock functionality as well - the fact that Palm gave developers both background tasks and the great extensible notification dashboard means some pretty cool apps are possible. (Wait til you guys see my app, I've got some pretty slick stuff in the hopper...)
  6. #66  
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can be that far along with an app if the SDK isn't available and the information about it is limited to two chapters in the O'Reilly book and the developer demo where the guy made a button that switched between two screens. What have you done, drawn out a GUI?

    Also, nothing says sophistication like your Pre calendar starting every weekday with an event that says "6:30 WAKE UP ALARM". Do you have an event that says "12:00 LUNCH" too? I guess that's what they mean when they say that the Pre anticipates your needs.
  7. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can be that far along with an app if the SDK isn't available and the information about it is limited to two chapters in the O'Reilly book and the developer demo where the guy made a button that switched between two screens. What have you done, drawn out a GUI?
    Fandango, Pandora and CompanionLink already have finished apps.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Also, nothing says sophistication like your Pre calendar starting every weekday with an event that says "6:30 WAKE UP ALARM". Do you have an event that says "12:00 LUNCH" too? I guess that's what they mean when they say that the Pre anticipates your needs.
    That's almost exactly how I have my Centro wake me daily, and I see no problem with it. "Sophistication appeal to others" ranks extremely low on my list of priorities when using a PIM on my phone.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can be that far along with an app if the SDK isn't available and the information about it is limited to two chapters in the O'Reilly book and the developer demo where the guy made a button that switched between two screens. What have you done, drawn out a GUI?
    This is just a little dumb, no offense meant. We know clearly (and have for months) that the Pre uses Javascript, CSS, and HTML. I'm sure he has this code working on browsers which comply to standards, and all that remains will be the shoehorning the Palm stuff into that as soon as he gets the SDK.

    Edit: though, I thought you were referring to SeanBlader I believe his name is who has basically said as much.
  10. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Also, nothing says sophistication like your Pre calendar starting every weekday with an event that says "6:30 WAKE UP ALARM". Do you have an event that says "12:00 LUNCH" too? I guess that's what they mean when they say that the Pre anticipates your needs.
    I think most people need alarms to wake them out of slumber, not sure why somebody would need an alarm to have lunch, unless they sleep until noon.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think most people need alarms to wake them out of slumber, not sure why somebody would need an alarm to have lunch, unless they sleep until noon.
    Oh man, have you never been so focused on what you were doing that you forgot to go eat? I need an alarm for just about everything.
  12. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can be that far along with an app if the SDK isn't available and the information about it is limited to two chapters in the O'Reilly book and the developer demo where the guy made a button that switched between two screens. What have you done, drawn out a GUI?
    You're right, I don't have any implementation work done - because I don't have an SDK invite yet. However, I've sketched and blueprinted out everything for my app (not just UI, but code layout and structure - only a foolish programmer starts coding without a decent design), so that as soon as I get into the beta, I can immediately start implementing.

    We already know a great deal of what's possible with Mojo, we just don't know the detail stuff. From what we do know, though, I think people that are oohing and ahhing over the Pandora dashboard playback controls ain't seen nothing yet - the dashboard, from what Palm has told us, is capable of some way cooler stuff, and I have some ideas on how to use it.

    Mojo is nothing more than a fancy implementation of CSS, JScript and HTML. I've got those skills down, and am currently waiting for my invite so I can get started implementing. While I'll admit it might be a bit soon to say that the sky's the limit with the SDK, I also think it's a bit soon on your part to say that things are going to be impossible without having the SDK in your hands.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Oh man, have you never been so focused on what you were doing that you forgot to go eat? I need an alarm for just about everything.
    My wife always txts me around noon; Eat!
    Otherwise, I'll just keep working.
  14. fushigi's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #74  
    For me, blocking the lunch hour is less about telling me to eat as it is to keep others from booking meetings/calls during the local noon hour. As I work for a multinational, we have people in all timezones so they aren't necessarily aware of when I'd normally eat.

    And like berdinkerdickle my wife usually texts me shortly after noon but she does it to vent on how her day is going instead of to remind me to eat.
    - Fushigi
  15. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #75  
    Also, nothing says sophistication like your Pre calendar starting every weekday with an event that says "6:30 WAKE UP ALARM". Do you have an event that says "12:00 LUNCH" too? I guess that's what they mean when they say that the Pre anticipates your needs.
    Oh man, have you never been so focused on what you were doing that you forgot to go eat? I need an alarm for just about everything.
    For me, blocking the lunch hour is less about telling me to eat as it is to keep others from booking meetings/calls during the local noon hour. As I work for a multinational, we have people in all timezones so they aren't necessarily aware of when I'd normally eat.
    Well, I guess you were right. Some people do have events that say "12:00 LUNCH" on their schedule.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions