Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am pretty sure I recall Palm demonstrators saying in many videos that Sprint will be announcing the release date when ready.

They've alluded, many times, that their relationship is such that Palm is simply delivering the phone to them as bug free as possible and Sprint does everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Palm programs will only work as they are open in a emulator and once you shut the palm emulator the programs dont run so Butler will not work on a Pre unless its different than styletap. but I dount think its any different as emulators run the palm OS and then shut the PALM OS when the emulator is turned off i think. You cant have a Palm Program running in the background on a PRE making stuff like Butler , VolumeCare etc useless. Hacks etc should not work on a pre either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of the "Cards" to keep apps open & running in the background (ie. true multitasking)? Therefor why wouldn't Butler's alarms work as long as the "Classic" app is live in the background... I don't expect hacks & extensions to work properly, if at all.
    Couple of reason I believe and I want to add that I dont actually know how Classics works but I am basing my opinion on StyleTap , What i read of Classic and common sense. First I dont think that any program that is in Classic will control the WEB OS . Its just an emulator that runs the palm os enviorment on the web os enviorment. The calendar program / contacts / do do list / memo etc as they said will not interact with the actual calander/contactsto do list/ memo on the phone so if you put in a new contact in the palm version while running Classic it will not populate the WebsOS contacts and vice versa . So butler can not control the WebOS alarms , operating system etc. Butler would be usuless in a emulator. If you set it to run an alarm , what alarm ? it cant interact with web OS. 2nd as soon as the Palm emulator (Classic) is off the palm programs cease to run. And please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Also I had a look at the Video again and there is no cards for the Classic apps. You have to leave the WebOS enviorment and open the PALM OS Enviorment and leave the PALM OS enviorment and go back to the Web OS . Palm OS does not allow for multi tasking and you have to close a program to open another.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/06/2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Ottawaguy:

Because I doubt that Classic will have access to the notifications API's of WebOS. So in theory Butler would give you it's alarms, but you wouldn't know it unless you have the Classic card open.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Ottawaguy:

Because I doubt that Classic will have access to the notifications API's of WebOS. So in theory Butler would give you it's alarms, but you wouldn't know it unless you have the Classic card open.
    Assuming that Classic has access to the speaker - and apps like Pandora continue to make noise in the background - perhaps Butler could still make a ruckus despite being stuck inside the Classic card.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The issue is that butler even if running will have no access to anything on the webOS ( notifications etc) . Thats the main issue. adjmcloon explained it so much better than me.
    With all the new Sprint TV and newspaper ads, I am getting re-hyped instead of de-hyped!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    With all the new Sprint TV and newspaper ads, I am getting re-hyped instead of de-hyped!
    Yeah me too, but I am sort of half way. I am getting tired of no release date, especially when making fun of someone with an iPhone and they ask well when is it coming out.. *silence* well, that sucks...

I just want my Pre...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Assuming that Classic has access to the speaker - and apps like Pandora continue to make noise in the background - perhaps Butler could still make a ruckus despite being stuck inside the Classic card.
    It would be interesting to see how sound management is going to work...if you have to have it on an active card to hear app sounds for instance. Pandora is obviously a native audio app, so if you get an audio alarm from a PIM program like the Calendar, do you hear the alarm over the music? Does it know that a music app should be muted (like it does for a phone call) for alarms?

We'll see. To get back on topic, I am most definitely not getting "De-hyped" to the release of the Pre.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    It would be interesting to see how sound management is going to work...if you have to have it on an active card to hear app sounds for instance. Pandora is obviously a native audio app, so if you get an audio alarm from a PIM program like the Calendar, do you hear the alarm over the music? Does it know that a music app should be muted (like it does for a phone call) for alarms?

We'll see. To get back on topic, I am most definitely not getting "De-hyped" to the release of the Pre.
    What I want to know is what noone ever demonstrated, will the music keep playing when the screen is off?
    If you look in here...

Sprint | News Release: Sprint Launches Two New Marketing Campaigns

You will find a part of that article talking about Homepage Takeovers as a means of advertising starting April 29th.

So....while that's cutting it close, uhm, I guess April 30 is still in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    HAHAHA we are getting desperate.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    That video was actually done two weeks ago anyway. I know we don't have a release date yet, but we've seen third party programs now, and they're slowly starting to get into the marketing campaign, so I think they're doing what they need to.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Unfortunately the lag between announcement and release have given me too much time to think about:

1) no desktop syncing: not sure if I trust the "cloud" or want to learn a new trick (yep, I'm an old dog) -- I like my info on my device and my computer which is where it is now so I don't even really need Synergy

2) that little verticle keyboard: I know it's slightly bigger than the Centro but that one is awfully small--slightly bigger's not really any better. And it looks awkward to use....

3) iPhone 3.0 update: now my iPod will now have the features (cut/paste, search, landscape keyboard) which it lacked making it clumsy at best to use as my PDA before. Not as neat a UI as Pre, but it'll do the job adequtely with the update.

4) do I really need all the Pre has to offer: don't even know if I need a smartphone and all of the bells and whistles it offers--are they worth the cost of breaking my current cell phone contract and comitting to the costlier data plans

Had the Pre been released before the end of March the excitement would have won over the questions but now.......

Still: It's so flippin' cool! Will probably eventually succumb to it's allure once my current contract is up and maybe by then there'll be more device options (PDA only, on-screen keyboard?). Until then, will continue my obsessive vigil and continue to weigh the options!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Why not contact your favorite developers or companies and let them know how important it is for you to have them have their programs run in WebOS. It's very simple. The Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    This phone is the gadget. no worries, google can be trusted and I will get another 755 in the meantime so I can keep a freshie
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    This phone is the gadget. no worries, google can be trusted and I will get another 755 in the meantime so I can keep a freshie
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface View Post
    WTF? why get another 755 now if you know you're getting a Pre shortly?
    Those videos just made it so much more enticing. I can't wait
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast