Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I just don't get the alarm hoopla at all, and maybe it's because I am relatively recent to Palm OS.

    I have my Centro wake me daily...by setting a calendar appointment. Pre has this out of the box. Is there some other app for alarms that doesn't show up in the launcher?
    Out of the box, World Clock has an alarm function. Free apps, most people use Butler.

    Not sure if the calender alarm works the same way or not, never used it (probably runs the same block of code as the world clock alarm) but the WC alarm runs in segments; ie. Alarm set for 6:15-6:30-6:45 etc with the option of turning the alarm on 5 min before all the way to 1 hour+ before I believe. You set how many times it can snooze, how many pauses before it goes back off, what sound to make including mp3s etc.

    Point is, there is an alarm. If the PRE had a calender alarm, people wouldn't be saying "There is no alarm."

    It's much more than that though. No one is going to just not buy a phone like this because of no alarm. Of course there will be an app for that. It is many other factors rolled in to one. Palm did an excellent job on the OS. Design team did a good job. Everyone else fell asleep in class. I think some people are afraid this may be "not enough, too late." The flaws are starting to surface before the darn thing has even released. Palm veterans that were saying "Just wait until the new OS! It's going to be incredible!" are starting to look at other options. Not a good sign.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by AllWires View Post
    First thing, no alarm app? I don't even know what to say... this is probably one of the most standard features on cell phones. Even 20 dollar pre-paid phones have this.
    I don't know about you, but I'm going to have a multi-alarm clock on my Pre on day one.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ats-crazy.html
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
  3. #23  
    I think them being mum on the release date is because of them working on different functions for a better "out the box" experience. IMO, that Palm OS emulator was probably recently done. Why would they wait until now to say something about it if it wasn't? They probably read a lot of your complaints and wanted to fix it before release day.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  4. #24  
    What flaws would those be? If anything, i've not heard enough to know much different from CES other than an emulator which i won't use. Well..other than the few apps looked pretty good and there's still some lag.

    There's a lot we've not seen.

    And May/June is coming. It's not a single announced release day, but they've been firm on the window. I wouldn't expect a release date until its 3-4 weeks before the actual date. If its really being released in May, we'll know soon.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I just don't get the alarm hoopla at all, and maybe it's because I am relatively recent to Palm OS.

    I have my Centro wake me daily...by setting a calendar appointment. Pre has this out of the box. Is there some other app for alarms that doesn't show up in the launcher?
    Different alarms for different things though. Maybe you can use the calender for a workaround, but I prefer one alarm for tasks and another for appointments and yet another for simple reminders. If you have to use the calender for everything, doesn't that mean one alarm? I'd prefer an alarm app too, just for personal preference.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Out of the box, World Clock has an alarm function. Free apps, most people use Butler.

    Not sure if the calender alarm works the same way or not, never used it (probably runs the same block of code as the world clock alarm) but the WC alarm runs in segments; ie. Alarm set for 6:15-6:30-6:45 etc with the option of turning the alarm on 5 min before all the way to 1 hour+ before I believe. You set how many times it can snooze, how many pauses before it goes back off, what sound to make including mp3s etc.

    Point is, there is an alarm. If the PRE had a calender alarm, people wouldn't be saying "There is no alarm."

    It's much more than that though. No one is going to just not buy a phone like this because of no alarm. Of course there will be an app for that. It is many other factors rolled in to one. Palm did an excellent job on the OS. Design team did a good job. Everyone else fell asleep in class. I think some people are afraid this may be "not enough, too late." The flaws are starting to surface before the darn thing has even released. Palm veterans that were saying "Just wait until the new OS! It's going to be incredible!" are starting to look at other options. Not a good sign.
    Wait, no alarm even on the calender?? I get alerted by alarm if I'm not looking at the phone. Not good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Out of the box, World Clock has an alarm function. Free apps, most people use Butler.

    Not sure if the calender alarm works the same way or not, never used it (probably runs the same block of code as the world clock alarm) but the WC alarm runs in segments; ie. Alarm set for 6:15-6:30-6:45 etc with the option of turning the alarm on 5 min before all the way to 1 hour+ before I believe. You set how many times it can snooze, how many pauses before it goes back off, what sound to make including mp3s etc.

    Point is, there is an alarm. If the PRE had a calender alarm, people wouldn't be saying "There is no alarm."
    In the first Meet Pre video, you can CLEARLY see alarm and repeat/snooze functionality with appointments. There's an option for "Repeat" or "No Repeat", how many minutes before the appointment you want the alarm to start going off, and when it goes off, it clearly is like any other notification - which undoubtedly means not only a visual notification, but also your choice of a sound or vibration.

    What else does one need for an alarm?

    It's much more than that though. No one is going to just not buy a phone like this because of no alarm. Of course there will be an app for that. It is many other factors rolled in to one. Palm did an excellent job on the OS. Design team did a good job. Everyone else fell asleep in class. I think some people are afraid this may be "not enough, too late." The flaws are starting to surface before the darn thing has even released. Palm veterans that were saying "Just wait until the new OS! It's going to be incredible!" are starting to look at other options. Not a good sign.
    How can everyone else have "fallen asleep in class" if we've only seen a handful of apps thus far, and no one has had a hands-on?

    I just don't get why people here think that Palm would be "doing an excellent job" if they rushed out a device to market that could succeed in the short-term only because Palm loyalists and other consumers impulse bought it before they could really look it over and see how inadequate it was.

    The Palm Pre - and Palm itself by extension - will ONLY survive if it can thrive in comparison to the other market leading smartphones. So there's no incentive to rush because the risks FAR outweigh the benefits.
  8. bugsy101's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Out of the box, World Clock has an alarm function. Free apps, most people use Butler.

    Not sure if the calender alarm works the same way or not, never used it (probably runs the same block of code as the world clock alarm) but the WC alarm runs in segments; ie. Alarm set for 6:15-6:30-6:45 etc with the option of turning the alarm on 5 min before all the way to 1 hour+ before I believe. You set how many times it can snooze, how many pauses before it goes back off, what sound to make including mp3s etc.

    Point is, there is an alarm. If the PRE had a calender alarm, people wouldn't be saying "There is no alarm."

    It's much more than that though. No one is going to just not buy a phone like this because of no alarm. Of course there will be an app for that. It is many other factors rolled in to one. Palm did an excellent job on the OS. Design team did a good job. Everyone else fell asleep in class. I think some people are afraid this may be "not enough, too late." The flaws are starting to surface before the darn thing has even released. Palm veterans that were saying "Just wait until the new OS! It's going to be incredible!" are starting to look at other options. Not a good sign.
    I'm not going to be getting the Pre because they have decided NOT to hard code one of the most basic, fundamental and necessary features of a mobile device.

    I've never used a Palm product before and the absence of such a vitally necessary app has put me off the brand entirely, let alone the product.

    That's a ridiculous disgrace. I travel a lot and need alarms with me at ALL times. It's probably my most used feature of a phone.. That and calendar.

    So yeah. Bye Pre. Gonna splash out on the N97.. And if they **** me about the release date.. I;m gonna plump for the iPhone.
  9. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #29  
    There will undoubtably be a 3rd party app on day 1 for alarms. No biggy there.

    I'm actually on the opposite end of de-hyped. I was dehyped around the time of MWC because nothing new came out. CITA changed that with numerous announcements and new information presented.

    Anxiously waiting.
  10. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #30  
    Since this is the treocentral board, I've noticed that a lot of posters are longtime Palm users and are really apologetic for Palm... regarding everything from lack of apps, third-party for-pay solutions, lack for information regarding a release date, not allowing proper in-hand demos, etc. etc.

    I don't have any brand loyalty to Palm, or any other gadget/technology vendor for that matter. I won't be getting the Pre if I didn't think it was one of the most advanced cellphones out there (I think it is!). But there are a lot of things that Palm is doing very stupidly with this phone: They are trying to be like Apple, which they can't be. Not letting people touch the damn phone, when it's two months away from release? Not announcing an actual release date? Coming to CTIA and doing nothing new there.... (I know they released the SDK, but that was in SF, not CTIA, and doesn't really provide any new consumer info.)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy101 View Post
    I'm not going to be getting the Pre because they have decided NOT to hard code one of the most basic, fundamental and necessary features of a mobile device.

    I've never used a Palm product before and the absence of such a vitally necessary app has put me off the brand entirely, let alone the product.

    That's a ridiculous disgrace. I travel a lot and need alarms with me at ALL times. It's probably my most used feature of a phone.. That and calendar.

    So yeah. Bye Pre. Gonna splash out on the N97.. And if they **** me about the release date.. I;m gonna plump for the iPhone.
    The alarm function IS in the calendar. The only thing Palm OS has that WebOS/Pre does not is an additional World Clock app that gives you a whopping FIVE choices for alarm sounds, whereas setting an appointment alarm gives me more options (it can be set for ANY minute of the day whereas World Clock goes in 15 minute increments) and a choice of ANY system sound.

    This is a demonstrably false criticism of the Pre, and it shows you had no intention of getting a Pre in the first place.
  12. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #32  
    I think this is the most rediculous thread I have read. I am assuming it will work like the PalmOS calendar and you can make a zero time appointment. It's not fancy with a lot of options, but it will wake you up. I can't believe people are not going to get the device because of this.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Since this is the treocentral board, I've noticed that a lot of posters are longtime Palm users and are really apologetic for Palm... regarding everything from lack of apps, third-party for-pay solutions, lack for information regarding a release date, not allowing proper in-hand demos, etc. etc.

    I don't have any brand loyalty to Palm, or any other gadget/technology vendor for that matter. I won't be getting the Pre if I didn't think it was one of the most advanced cellphones out there (I think it is!). But there are a lot of things that Palm is doing very stupidly with this phone: They are trying to be like Apple, which they can't be.
    Um, if they were trying to be Apple, then...:

    1) Why is there a PalmOS emulator announced before even a release date is?
    2) Why is there a hardware keyboard on the phone?
    3) Why are third party apps available at launch?

    Not letting people touch the damn phone, when it's two months away from release? Not announcing an actual release date? Coming to CTIA and doing nothing new there.... (I know they released the SDK, but that was in SF, not CTIA, and doesn't really provide any new consumer info.)
    This is ridiculous. At every major tech site, you can CTIA roundups. And at every single one, there is a notable entry for (and usually a video of) the walkthrough of PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN apps for the Pre which was done AT CTIA. This was covered by all the tech pubs there, and they all gave the new apps good-to-rave reviews. That's a stupid move on Palm's part?

    The lack of hands-on sessions and a release date has done nothing to quell interest on this phone as of yet. There was just a thread here linking to an article showing Web stats that had Pre interest and enthusiasm holding steady since launch. The recent round of new apps revealed should only boost that.

    Finally, SPRINT is the one to talk to about release date and the lack of info thereof. Not Palm.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think this is the most rediculous thread I have read. I am assuming it will work like the PalmOS calendar and you can make a zero time appointment. It's not fancy with a lot of options, but it will wake you up. I can't believe people are not going to get the device because of this.
    They will still get it...

    The natives are restless...

    Really nothing else to talk about right now since we have nothing to really talk about. Same old info is floating around right now.... lol...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  15. #35  
    I don't necessarily buy the "Sprint must announce release date, not Palm" since they are deep partners with Palm. Palm must know what's up and could easily give a better approximation than 1st half of year.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Finally, SPRINT is the one to talk to about release date and the lack of info thereof. Not Palm.
    Release date will be a collaboration between Palm and Sprint and either one of them could announce it. Examples: Apple announced the release date for the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. I'm pretty sure Apple didn't make these announcements without conferring with AT&T. Consequently, it's not just Sprint who's responsible for setting/announcing the release date.
  17. bugsy101's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The alarm function IS in the calendar. The only thing Palm OS has that WebOS/Pre does not is an additional World Clock app that gives you a whopping FIVE choices for alarm sounds, whereas setting an appointment alarm gives me more options (it can be set for ANY minute of the day whereas World Clock goes in 15 minute increments) and a choice of ANY system sound.

    This is a demonstrably false criticism of the Pre, and it shows you had no intention of getting a Pre in the first place.

    I am not a Palm user. Never have cared for the brand. However, I WAS interested in the Pre, having seen the demo's and read loads of stuff on it. I initially thought - Wow. That is so me.

    But now, finding out there will be NO hard-coded alarm has COMPLETELY and 100% put me off the product entirely.

    I don't want an alarm tied in with the calendar. I don't want a third-party alarm app. ALL I want is a easy-to-use, straight-forward and traditional alarm system that has been included in handsets since the beginning.

    <<Removed Personal Insults>> It's a dire mistake and they should be punished (financially of course) for it.

    And if you really don't think they'll lose customers for it - then you're wrong - because they just lost one. And I'm sure there are many out there who will be disarrayed with the entire brand due to such a fundamental feature missing from the phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think this is the most rediculous thread I have read. I am assuming it will work like the PalmOS calendar and you can make a zero time appointment. It's not fancy with a lot of options, but it will wake you up. I can't believe people are not going to get the device because of this.
    Read above. I don't wanna mess about in the calendar to set up an alarm or multiple alarms that takes me about 10 seconds to do on my Nokia N82.

    Get a clue Palm, jeez.

    <<Post Edited by Berd - Please Read Forum Guidelines>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/06/2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Personal Insults and Language
  18. #38  
    No, Palm can't give a more specific release date than Sprint wants them too. The Apple/AT&T comparison is worthless because:

    1) AT&T wasn't installing a suite of their own new apps on the iPhone before release.
    2) Apple has a robust B&M sales presence and can guarantee a date that you will be able to buy any product from them, even if they are partnered with AT&T. Palm does not, and will initially be relying on Sprint stores and Sprint online warehouses to get this out to people. As we all know from past Sprint launches (e.g. Instinct, Touch Diamond), this means that some stores/people will have day one access and some will not.
  19. #39  
    De-hyped? hmm, nope! Not with the new commercials and the new sprint now network website with the Pre. I'm getting all hyped with these new things going on that is making me think Pre might be coming out soon.
  20. #40  
    Nope! We are getting closer.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions