Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Might be a wierd/unnecessary feature, but I'm wondering would the slider be active? Like as in I can slide the phone to answer a call, close the slider to hang up?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Might be a wierd/unnecessary feature, but I'm wondering would the slider be active? Like as in I can slide the phone to answer a call, close the slider to hang up?
    Why would you want to do that? I believe the opening to talk into is on or near the gesture area, not on the slider.
  3.    #3  
    Don't know, just feels a little more like a traditional slider phone I guess.

Hence why I said it might be an unnecessary feature.
  4.    #4  
    Actually, another thing... why would they mention in some demos that when it's open it curves to fit your face as a feature, if the mic is not on the bottom slider?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually, another thing... why would they mention in some demos that when it's open it curves to fit your face as a feature, if the mic is not on the bottom slider?
    Good point, and I don't have an answer for that.
    I would love it if this was the case, as I used to rock a LG PM-325, and I loved the slide-to-answer function.

That thing was built like a tank too. Never had any problems with it. and I still have it as a backup.
    I am sure it will work this way. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $is$ $the$ $standard$ $for$ $slider$ $phones$.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I would love it if this was the case, as I used to rock a LG PM-325, and I loved the slide-to-answer function.

That thing was built like a tank too. Never had any problems with it. and I still have it as a backup.
    I had the LG PM-325 too. Then i had another... and then a third. Each one had a problem with voice quality... bluetooth... and i don't know what else, but finally after 3 different ones I went back to my trusty sanyo (they were awesome back then).
    That's only traditional use for dumbphones. You have to slide open a dumbphone to use the keypad since there is no touchscreen. So it makes more sense for it to work that way.

Smartphone sliders tend to have touchscreens with virtual keypads so there isn't a need to open the slider to make or receive a call. Though maybe it could/would be an option if the user wants it to work that way.

I would think you wouldn't want to open the slider when you don't have too.
    I almost think it's silly where the mic is located... Which is near the left side of the gesture area. I'll feel like a goof having the slider open seeing as how it serves no real purpose. I thought that a better place to place the mic would be on the bottom of the slider part. I really have no idea if this would cause too much background noise though.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I almost think it's silly where the mic is located... Which is near the left side of the gesture area. I'll feel like a goof having the slider open seeing as how it serves no real purpose. I thought that a better place to place the mic would be on the bottom of the slider part. I really have no idea if this would cause too much background noise though.
    I think the hole on the gesture area is not pretty, they should have put it on the bottom part of the slider. it's much cooler to slide out the phone to answer.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    That's only traditional use for dumbphones. You have to slide open a dumbphone to use the keypad since there is no touchscreen. So it makes more sense for it to work that way.

Smartphone sliders tend to have touchscreens with virtual keypads so there isn't a need to open the slider to make or receive a call. Though maybe it could/would be an option if the user wants it to work that way.

I would think you wouldn't want to open the slider when you don't have too.
    But anyone that has used a slider knows and is familiar with the act of sliding the phone open to automatically answer a call - I think Palm would be foolish not to at least offer that as an option.

What I want to see is that as an option and one of the other options being that opening the slider when a call comes in automatically ignores the call and launches Messaging to send a SMS to the person calling - great for when you're in a class/meeting and your annoying friends call instead of text you.

My 755p, despite running an OS built in the age of the pharaohs, has three features that continue to baffle me why more phones don't offer - a ringer/vibrate switch, instant contact search just by typing at the phone screen, and the ability to ignore a call and open a SMS conversation with the caller with a single button press. I know two of those features will continue with the Pre, I hope the latter one does too.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    But anyone that has used a slider knows and is familiar with the act of sliding the phone open to automatically answer a call - I think Palm would be foolish not to at least offer that as an option.

What I want to see is that as an option and one of the other options being that opening the slider when a call comes in automatically ignores the call and launches Messaging to send a SMS to the person calling - great for when you're in a class/meeting and your annoying friends call instead of text you.

My 755p, despite running an OS built in the age of the pharaohs, has three features that continue to baffle me why more phones don't offer - a ringer/vibrate switch, instant contact search just by typing at the phone screen, and the ability to ignore a call and open a SMS conversation with the caller with a single button press. I know two of those features will continue with the Pre, I hope the latter one does too.
    I really like that!
    That's why I mentioned it as an option. Didn't say it was a bad thing to do.

But you guys are making the assumption that just because the Pre is a "vertical" slider that it should compare to the other vertical sliders with just a # pad underneath. That's a bad assumption because it's more like the horizontal qwerty sliders that do not operate that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    But you guys are making the assumption that just because the Pre is a "vertical" slider that it should compare to the other vertical sliders with just a # pad underneath. That's a bad assumption because it's more like the horizontal qwerty sliders that do not operate that way.
    That's how I used my SCH-i730 and XV-6600. Both vertical PDA sliders with full keyboards underneath. Sliding the keyboard out to answer was a natural gesture and made the phone seem less like a pop tart while you talked on it.
    forgot about those beasts (well the 6600 was). I stand corrected. I've gotten so used to pop tart style when I went to the Treo I don't think I'd ever open the slider unless I had to. Though, if they put the mic in the lower half, and it sounded better when opened, I'd probably do it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'd like to be able to configure the slider to open an application of my choosing. Don't know if this is possible either.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I'd like to be able to configure the slider to open an application of my choosing. Don't know if this is possible either.
    I think it already does: universal search.

So if you could customize it yourself to something else then that would hamstring one of the biggest features of the phone.
    As I understand it universal search isnt tied to the slider opening, it is tied to typing anytime a text entry box isnt specifically selected.
    i think that they could give the users an option ... "check here to auto answer on open". you see it all the time in flip phones. And even if that feature is on you can still press the button on the touch screen to answer without opening, and be able to talk because the mic isn't hiding behind the screen on the slider.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast