Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just thought I'd share this article for those who are excited to have the Amazon MP3 service on the Pre:

Prizefight: Apple iTunes vs. Amazon MP3 | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    too bad amazon music isn't available in europe
    It was just launched in Germany.
    I think I'll give it a try.
    I actually disagree with round 1 entirely, I hate the iTunes interface, it's way too bloated, runs slower than it should on PCs, and I've know friends who it's caused general computer problems for.

I much prefer to use a website to browse the store when I'm on the computer, and then the lightweight downloader Amazon has is great.

But then, I'm someone who doesn't like to install any software on the PC unless absolutely necessary.
    iTunes behaves like a virus on a PC. It's a horrid resource hog.
    iTunes is a steaming pile of crap. For the average user, it is way too complicated. When even a teenage girl can't figure it out, then you know something went wrong when the UI was created. I absolutely hate it. Amazon for the win!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I really like iTunes. it's the only reason I'm still considering buying an iPhone instead of a pre.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I like Amazon's MP3 store and I'm looking forward to be able to sample and buy DRM free tracks from my Pre... Also not an itunes fan, will prolly use MediaMonkey to manage the music I want to move from my PC to my Pre, it seems to support mass storage devices like the Pre very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    I like Amazon's MP3 store and I'm looking forward to be able to sample and buy DRM free tracks from my Pre... Also not an itunes fan, will prolly use MediaMonkey to manage the music I want to move from my PC to my Pre, it seems to support mass storage devices like the Pre very well.
    Speaking of being able to stream a sample of a song on Amazon on the Pre.... check out what's being said in this video:

Tim Pettitt demo Amazon store on Palm Pre @ CTIA09 | SlashGear.TV

The guy asks if you can listen to a sample before buying it, and Tim Pettitt, the Product Manager for the Pre said he didn't know!

I remember on a CES video where the demo did in fact listen to a preview. Did they take that functionality out? That would be pretty foolish, I sure hope they didn't!
    Media Monkey rules over iTunes in terms of music management.

In terms of ease of buying between Amazon and iTunes, I've done both and there isn't a whole lot of difference IMO. However on Amazon, the preview clips are much better utilized. Double clicking one at a time in iTunes is annoying. Amazon allows one-click preview of the whole album. MP3 is also still accepted on ALL players. Amazon also has some music selections at a bit less per album and some international music that I don't think iTunes carries.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I like both stores. Amazon is generally cheaper and more streamlined. I am happy to have the option of using Amazon.
    I switched over from iTunes to Amazon awhile ago, mainly for the non-DRM music. After using it for awhile now, I can say I like it better than iTunes.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I like Amazon too. Prices are cheaper much of the time and the downloader is easy to use.

My big beef with the Amazon music store is the lack of ratings. I can't see which songs on an album are the most played and there is a lack of reviews. The rest of Amazon is covered with more product reviews than any other site on the internet. But not on mp3.
    And I like the Genius feature in iTunes as well. Yes it is a big tool to sell you more music, but it does give users an easy way to fine more stuff they will like. Since Amazon basically invented personalization in on-line shopping it is strange that this is missing from their mp3 download site.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I switched a while back and like it much more than itunes.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    just downloaded some itunes alternatives to try, and tweaked them to do the stuff itunes does out-of-the-box. I found mediamonkey to be the best of the alternatives (although it's ugly. I couldn't find a way to skin it), but for the moment I still think itunes is better. But we'll see how I think after I've had some time with the other audio players.

and I found a way to sync itunes to a usb mass storage device, so definately no iphone for me
    StephanP - you can skin MM - Tools>options>skin>choose skin. You can download skins with a link at the top right of the skin settings window.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I recently switch from iTunes to Amazon, because of Amazon's non-DRM, higher bit rate (256k vs 128k) and occasional lower price ($0.79 vs $0.99). I couldn't be happier. The Amazon utility will even add the songs to my iTunes library if I want. Amazon's selection may not have initially been as wide as iTunes, but Amazon is negotiating royalty contracts with record labels everyday, and will be on par with iTunes selections very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I like Amazon too. Prices are cheaper much of the time and the downloader is easy to use.

My big beef with the Amazon music store is the lack of ratings. I can't see which songs on an album are the most played and there is a lack of reviews. The rest of Amazon is covered with more product reviews than any other site on the internet. But not on mp3.
    And I like the Genius feature in iTunes as well. Yes it is a big tool to sell you more music, but it does give users an easy way to fine more stuff they will like. Since Amazon basically invented personalization in on-line shopping it is strange that this is missing from their mp3 download site.
    To get the reviews on Amazon, find the same album under the physical CD.

And Genius is supposed to be a memory hog, just adding to the problem on Windows.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    StephanP - you can skin MM - Tools>options>skin>choose skin. You can download skins with a link at the top right of the skin settings window.
    Thanks alot for that I couldn't find it because I use the dutch version. the translations aren't always very good :P
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    and I found a way to sync itunes to a usb mass storage device, so definately no iphone for me
    This is sounding better and better, all the time.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast