Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    Want to run your current Palm OS programs on your new Palm Pre? No problem. Just buy MotionApps' Classic PalmOS.

    Want to get your Outlook or Palm Desktop contacts and calendar on your new Pre? We've got you covered. Just buy CompanionLink.

    So, what's with all of the previously basic functionality not being included in-the-box but rather outsourced to 3rd parties for development and sale? Obviously, it's a matter of limited development resources and a very tight schedule. It's easier, faster, and cheaper to outsource it for someone else to sell to your users.

    It's easy to see the rationale for the 3rd party developer. Palm has some basic functionality that they don't have the resources to develop and are offering access to the platform for exclusive availability upon launch. Who isn't going to jump at that and get the job done?

    However, what does it do to the user experience if the first day involves purchasing 3rd party software to accomplish what might be considered to be basic functionality - backwards compatibility? I'm not talking about you guys who have been anticipating the Pre for months. I'm talking about the guy who goes to Best Buy or the Sprint store and goes "Cool, there's the new Palm. My Treo/Centro is getting old." In order to get his new Palm up-to-speed he has to pull out his credit card at least twice on the first day. Probably, for at least $30 each.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 04/04/2009 at 11:29 AM.
  2. #2  
    compared to having to buy outlook to get any synching from a windows mobile device, using a free gmail account to sync email with any internet connected computer is vastly superior. not everyone has outlook, i never paid the microsoft tax for it, and am very happy to switch from synching to palm desktop to synching to gmail

    most new users will be coming from other phone operating systems, so those who need backward compatibility with palm os are a limited subset of the customer base, and instead of making everyone have to subsidise development of an emulator, it makes a lot more sense to have those who need it purchase it seperately.
  3. #3  
    I don't agree that these purchases are necessary to get one's new Pre up-to-speed. Many will not want to use Palm OS apps and some of us wouldn't use Outlook unless forced.

    For those who do want to add these functions, I think it's great that they will be available on day 1. I also think it's a good business strategy to let other developers participate and profit.

    Realistically when you get a new phone do you complain about having to buy a new case, screen protectors, extra chargers, bluetooth headset, and maybe a sticky pad for the car? I sure don't. I'm excited to get new stuff and get it working just the way I want it.
  4. #4  
    I can't agree on the emulator. A couple years from now it'll strictly be a novelty. I don't want Palm working on trying to make the old OS work on the new one. I want them to focus on making webOS as fast, seamless and stable as possible.

    And I disagree that current palm users are a limited subset. There's probably a bit more than you think.
  5. #5  
    I think the craziest example of the OP is the fact that there is no alarm clock. Really Palm!? No alarm clock? Because the Goat apparently is really picky about his alarm clock says Palm... Not really. I need something that wakes me up. I wouldn't say that's too picky.

    I know it's small and stupid, but it just bothers the heck out of me. I'm suprised they're including a calculator with the Pre. Many users are picky about their calculators and may need MathCad Mobile or something. ARGH!

    I usually never rant about Palm since they announced the Pre... But the Goat wants an alarm clock out of the box.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I think the craziest example of the OP is the fact that there is no alarm clock. Really Palm!? No alarm clock? Because the Goat apparently is really picky about his alarm clock says Palm... Not really. I need something that wakes me up. I wouldn't say that's too picky.

    I know it's small and stupid, but it just bothers the heck out of me. I'm suprised they're including a calculator with the Pre. Many users are picky about their calculators and may need MathCad Mobile or something. ARGH!

    I usually never rant about Palm since they announced the Pre... But the Goat wants an alarm clock out of the box.
    It has a calendar, and that calendar has alerts. Set an appointment with an alarm.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  7.    #7  
    Sure. That's what we all need. An appointment that shows up on every weekday calendar day that says "WAKE UP". That's really giving the user the information they need to manage their day on a 3 inch screen.

    I would say that minimum out-of-the-box functionality for a clock module would be:

    world clock
    alarms with multiple schedules like weekdays-only or every Friday, etc.
    sleep timer

    Pretty much what comes on an iPhone. It would be pretty lame to have to buy an alarm clock module for your smartphone.
  8. #8  
    When I wake up varies greatly. A reoccouring Calander appointment wouldn't work. Plus it seems like it would be a pain to set one every night. Plus, the alarm tone has to be continuous otherwise it will get ignored. I don't know if the calander will allow this. (It probably will)

    Why am I even justifying this?

    Not having an alarm app is just silly. Yes, it's small... But it's silly to not include one in the box. I really don't mind throwing a couple of bucks for a nifty alarm app. It's just something for the Goat to complain about. It makes me feel a bit less "complete fanboyish" if I can find SOMETHING to argue against the Pre.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Why am I even justifying this?

    Not having an alarm app is just silly. Yes, it's small... But it's silly to not include one in the box. I really don't mind throwing a couple of bucks for a nifty alarm app. It's just something for the Goat to complain about. It makes me feel a bit less "complete fanboyish" if I can find SOMETHING to argue against the Pre.
    +10
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  10. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #10  
    To the guy who said you need to buy Outlook to sync with Windows Mobile: You don't. All Windows Mobile (Standard and Pro) phones sold by all US carrier's include a free [unlimited] copy of Outlook.
  11. #11  
    haydur, you are wrong.
    t-mobile wing, shadow, and shadow 2 all come with time limited trial copies

    i worked tech support for t-mobile at one point and dealt with many ticked off customers over that issue

    the dash/mda/sda came with free copies of outlook 2002, which would not work with activesync 4.5 or later nor would it work with the windows mobile device center on vista
  12. #12  
    outlook express is free, no?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  13. #13  
    Outlook Express is free, but it merely an email client. Outlook is an email/calendar/contacts (pim) aggregator.
  14. #14  
    ahhh... hence I use neither and hopefully never will.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  15. #15  
    How do I export my Palm OS contacts to Outlook?
    I use Yahoo mail and have never used the Outlook on my laptop.
    Just want to get ready for the Pre, whenever it is.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    How do I export my Palm OS contacts to Outlook?
    I use Yahoo mail and have never used the Outlook on my laptop.
    Just want to get ready for the Pre, whenever it is.
    pick outlook instead of palm to sync... I forget the little settings, but it is painless... drop down, if I remember correctly.

    I'd think that palm.com support has step by step directions....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    ... I'm not talking about you guys who have been anticipating the Pre for months. I'm talking about the guy who goes to Best Buy or the Sprint store and goes "Cool, there's the new Palm. My Treo/Centro is getting old." In order to get his new Palm up-to-speed he has to pull out his credit card at least twice on the first day. Probably, for at least $30 each.
    But why should the next customer, with no Palm OS applications, pay $30 (your figure) extra for the emulator to be included on his Pre as (to him/her) bloatware.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Want to run your current Palm OS programs on your new Palm Pre? No problem. Just buy MotionApps' Classic PalmOS.

    Want to get your Outlook or Palm Desktop contacts and calendar on your new Pre? We've got you covered. Just buy CompanionLink.

    So, what's with all of the previously basic functionality not being included in-the-box but rather outsourced to 3rd parties for development and sale? Obviously, it's a matter of limited development resources and a very tight schedule. It's easier, faster, and cheaper to outsource it for someone else to sell to your users.

    It's easy to see the rationale for the 3rd party developer. Palm has some basic functionality that they don't have the resources to develop and are offering access to the platform for exclusive availability upon launch. Who isn't going to jump at that and get the job done?

    However, what does it do to the user experience if the first day involves purchasing 3rd party software to accomplish what might be considered to be basic functionality - backwards compatibility? I'm not talking about you guys who have been anticipating the Pre for months. I'm talking about the guy who goes to Best Buy or the Sprint store and goes "Cool, there's the new Palm. My Treo/Centro is getting old." In order to get his new Palm up-to-speed he has to pull out his credit card at least twice on the first day. Probably, for at least $30 each.
    I 150% disagree with your logic.
    I have never EVER purchased a device (on which software can be added) that worked like I wanted it to work out of the box. Its a part of life.
    I am sorry, but at this point in my Humble OPINION, if one is STILL stuck on syncing to outlook or running programs from a completely different operating system, then I have to say they are probably missing the point of the WebOS.....
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    When I wake up varies greatly. A reoccouring Calander appointment wouldn't work. Plus it seems like it would be a pain to set one every night. Plus, the alarm tone has to be continuous otherwise it will get ignored. I don't know if the calander will allow this. (It probably will)

    Why am I even justifying this?

    Not having an alarm app is just silly. Yes, it's small... But it's silly to not include one in the box. I really don't mind throwing a couple of bucks for a nifty alarm app. It's just something for the Goat to complain about. It makes me feel a bit less "complete fanboyish" if I can find SOMETHING to argue against the Pre.
    I see your point. but I would counter with this:
    I will extend out your argument.
    Palm's current "out of the box" clock doesn't meet my needs. I had to purchase a 3rd party clock to get the system I needed. So.......
    If you can't use what palm has built in to the system, you can always extend it.
    yes?no?
    And for the record, I don't think your protest is a small one.
  20. #20  
    do we know for sure there isn't an alarm yet. Most phones when you look up their capabilities don't list alarm clock. Most don't even list clock. So even though it's not a minor thing to some. In the long list of stuff palm is trying to show you to buy the Pre, i don't think an alarm is at the top of the list. Think we should have Dieter ask about that function if he gets a chance to see a Pre again before it comes out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions