Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Pedro,
    I mentioned it in another thread, but the App videos released this past week had World Clock which I use for my alarm clock & I travel for a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    But why should the next customer, with no Palm OS applications, pay $30 (your figure) extra for the emulator to be included on his Pre as (to him/her) bloatware.
    I couldn't agree more. Also, the original poster is speculating on a $30 price point for Classic and this hasn't even been announced. I am seeing a lot of made up info that people are then using to get hot under the collar

I'm a long time Palm user and will be grateful for Classic. I just switched to an iPhone in December 2008 but will be selling it for Pre after finding out that my medical apps and a handful of others will work on the Pre. I think Palm was very smart to include this in their initial rollout because it will allow former PalmOS users to bridge between the old world of PalmOS and the new world of WebOS... VERY smart. Heck, from the demos, my apps may even run faster on the Pre than on my previous Centro

The money for Classic is separate from what it seems they are trying to accomplish... lure in new users. They are obviously emulating what is best in the iPhone and improving on it's limitations. This is exactly what everyone else tried to do through the 1990s after the Palm Pilot, Handspring devices and later, the Treos, hit the market. This company led the way and then fell behind in the last few years. The fact is that WebOS is a different OS and just like another user mentioned, you are switching to a different platform. Period. There's some pain involved which is mitigated in large respect by the ability to sync with online services and the third party software. Changing from PalmOS to WebOS is effectively like changing from PalmOS to Windows Mobile... in terms of a new operating system. The fact that a solid looking emulator and third party sync stuff is available right out of the box only make the Pre that much more enticing to current PalmOS users. I'm not sure how one would be able to port so much of their current smartphone to a totally new OS in any other situation (ie; iPhone to BB, BB to Centro, Centro to WinMob). If I'm mistaken, please correct me. But, from my perspective, Palm is doing exactly what needs to be done... providing resources to ease the transition for a nominal fee to those who need it. I can't see anything wrong with that
    The demo of the Motion Aps garnet solution showed "Access Powered" on the screen. I wonder if they (Motion Aps) had to get their own license for Access, or if Palms eternal license to the software was "loaned" to Motion Aps in some way? It seems that if Palm had done it they might have gotten away with it as part of their existing deal, where a 3rd party would probably be expected to make their own license deal, with a cost passed on to users.

Just wondering...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    wow
    getting my contacts and calendar from my centro into google was a piece of cake!
    i just used the send category command from contacts and calendar on the centro to email myself the vcs and vcf files, then imported them into google. boom, done

given the high probability that pre will support importing those standard filetypes as well, getting the information from the centro to a pre without using outlook, google, or palm desktop should be just as easy, probably just bluetooth the files directly between the phones
    Last edited by errhead; 04/04/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    its amazing to me how people justify some of the myriad of shortcomings of the pre. Its a smartphone but it doesn't have the basic features of the Palm centro which had out of the box.

1. video recording
    2. Ptunes - played a variety of audio formats and streaming
    3. ability to download photos/mpg/pdf from web
    4. voice recorder
    5. text to ignore call
    6. bluetooth file transfer for contacts & files
    7. money manager
    8. fully functional calendar/task/memo
    9. ability to customize system sounds
    10. desktop sync software

That list is what I call the basic 10 of any smartphone. Those are basic features found on my previous three phones: centro, treo 650, htc touch. I don't want to have all my personal information on a cloud. I shouldn't have to sign up with google (aka the new microsoft) just to use the calendar and sync contacts. If thats the case I would have bought an Android phone.
    amen brother. I shouldn't also have to rely on home cooking and root access to try and create some of these workarounds either. You also forgot to mention a basic file manager so I can organize files and folders to my liking and open files from it instead of having to rely on the file's respective program.

It is baffling how they throw away 13yrs of expertise to dumb down a slick new OS to be compatible with google and mimic the other touch phones on the market. Sorry, but it's a joke, plain and simple. Develop the strong core first based off of the strengths of PalmOS then move forward.

Strong PIM, email and internet should be basic. Media and document handling (pdf, office and such) should follow. Then worry about the fluff when the above are solid.

I'm hanging with my Treo Pro for awhile. Tried the BB Tour for a few but email sucks on it. I don't understand all the bb hype when I can't utilize webmail folders and label emails as spam. Outside of push, it's useless unless you have BES.
    Actually, you left off a top-notch phone app. Should be number one on that list, and the others should be #2-11 at best.

The absolutely pitiful phone app is still a mess four updates later, and if it's not fixed by October, Palm should expect to see lots of jumpers - myself included - heading to the HTC Hero or InstinctQ or TouchPro2.
    Phone app works great for me.

BTW. Ever wonder why a thread from months ago suddenly reappears?
    don't wonder at all. someone who has had the Pre for a bit finally gets frustrated with it's lack of capability compared to a phone with an OS that was created 13yrs ago, does a search, comes up with this thread and vents.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Did you not understand the new concept of webos? Obviously not since your in here bashing it. My question is, you knew what it was before you bought it, no? If so, why did you get the Pre. It will become a powerfull smart phone, give them time on this NEW OS. Not everyone wants the same things you want. Every new smart phone I've bought over the years was weak in the beginning with a ton of bugs, then it evolved over time. Do you remember WM when it first came out? The reviews were CRAP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Did you not understand the new concept of webos? Obviously not since your in here bashing it. My question is, you knew what it was before you bought it, no? If so, why did you get the Pre. It will become a powerfull smart phone, give them time on this NEW OS. Not everyone wants the same things you want. Every new smart phone I've bought over the years was weak in the beginning with a ton of bugs, then it evolved over time. Do you remember WM when it first came out? The reviews were CRAP!!
    It's the Me Generation. I want what I want and I don't care about facts or real world realities, I want it now or I'm going to throw a fit.
    and what mobile OS fid Microsoft have tpo go off of then? Nada. Palm had a successful 13yr old OS to build off of. And they scrapped a ton of the BASIC functionality it had. BASIC pda functionality is gone. Not screwed up a needing to be tweaked, but non-existent. I'm all for going through growing pains of a 1.0 device, but not when I don't have the BASIC functionality I've expected from Palm devices over the past 13yrs. It's like PalmOS never existed before and they just based the functionality off of the other touch based phones on the market, right down to a useless center button that could've been a d-pad, rollerball or trackpad with enhanced navigation capability and a slick copy/paste function.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Want to run your current Palm OS programs on your new Palm Pre? No problem. Just buy MotionApps' Classic PalmOS.

Want to get your Outlook or Palm Desktop contacts and calendar on your new Pre? We've got you covered. Just buy CompanionLink.
    Let me understand what you're saying. You're annoyed that the Pre doesn't run the apps you brought for a completely different device for free, and that you couldn't be bothered working out how to move your Outlook/Palm desktop contacts/calendar to the Pre (hint: Palm provide a free tool to do this for Palm desktop & stand alone outlook, and the phone handles syncing with exchange out of the box - see Palm - Start here: Move your info to your webOS™ phone for details).

Hell, Sprint will even hold your hand while moving your contacts for you, for free and they weren't at all shy about tell you they were willing to do it. I suspect your hypothetical customer is already well covered
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and what mobile OS fid Microsoft have tpo go off of then? Nada. Palm had a successful 13yr old OS to build off of. And they scrapped a ton of the BASIC functionality it had. BASIC pda functionality is gone. Not screwed up a needing to be tweaked, but non-existent. I'm all for going through growing pains of a 1.0 device, but not when I don't have the BASIC functionality I've expected from Palm devices over the past 13yrs. It's like PalmOS never existed before and they just based the functionality off of the other touch based phones on the market, right down to a useless center button that could've been a d-pad, rollerball or trackpad with enhanced navigation capability and a slick copy/paste function.
    Palm OS is dying and has no future as it can't keep up. Palm is a small company that was also dying and needed to put out a product with a new OS. You can only do so much with limited resources, and I personally believe that putting out a device with a new OS that is ultra-slick and super stable is pretty impressive.

Sure, it needs some stuff, but you can't just copy and paste features from one OS to the other. If all the features everybody wanted had been incorporated in a half-a** fashion, just to get them in there, you'd all be up in arms over that now. Guaranteed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12