1.    #1  
    I tried a search, but its so hard to weed out what I want to know, especially because I am not sure it has been asked.

I work at a bank that does not allow us to have our cell phones on in the work area. In addition, the building is steel and it is rare I will get a signal where I sit or even in the break room. As of now, with my Treo 800w I take the battery out in the building because simply turning off the radio still doesn't keep programs from trying to connect. Only doing that makes the Treo tempermental and then I usually have to soft reset again. Does anyone know if the Pre will be able to be turned completely off like the iPhone/Blackberry or will it always be on even if we turn it "off" like all of the other Palm devices?

Thanks!
    Maybe turning airplane mode on would help? I'm not really sure, but that might be an option.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Maybe turning airplane mode on would help? I'm not really sure, but that might be an option.
    I believe that option is there and easily accessed. I was just curious because if I can't even use the phone at work, why waste the battery leaving it "on" all day?
    the palm rep in this video confirms that you CAN completely turn it off with the dedicated power switch...at about 8:04 in the video

My hands on with the Palm Pre | My Pre
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    the palm rep in this video confirms that you CAN completely turn it off with the dedicated power switch...at about 8:04 in the video

My hands on with the Palm Pre*|*My Pre
    SWEET! Thank you!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Now that's a lot of help. Thanks for this Dwight.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    No problem guys!! I try to keep an ear to the web for important bits of info that we call could use.
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    why waste the battery leaving it "on" all day?
    the radio is what uses the battery when the phone's in your pocket, if it's in airplane mode and you're not using it the battery drain is insignificant. at least that's the way it is on the centro, winmo may be more broken
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ WinMo phones have airplane mode, a one-button stand-by mode (radio stays on, no screen display) and can be completely turned off by holding down the dedicated power button.
    I was on a plane recently and the passenger sitting next to me had a new iPhone. The flight attendant made a point of telling her that "airplane mode" was not good enough. She had to shut it down entirely during takeoff.
    Oh yes, that's true. In fact, if you have a laptop, you are supposed to break it open and rip out the internal battery so that the internal clock stops running. And if you have an internal defibrillator you are supposed to cut open your chest and remove it. Those tiny microcurrents can't hurt planes in the rest of the world, but they can bring down US aircraft in a heartbeat.
    Flight attendants just simply don't trust peoples understanding of airplane mode or their phones.

My guess is that flight attendants have learned over the past couple years that iphone users are especially hard to work with so they just make it easy by making it policy to turn it off.
    If you're going to turn it "completely off" why bother carrying it? If you want to use it for calendar functions, or playing music, or games, it's not completely off. With the battery removed, or "completely off" it's a plastic brick.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ Yes, there are times when you want to completely shut off a device without having to remove the battery.

And regarding usage on a plane, there's very very very little risk of your phone interrupting with the plane's radios. But since there a million different devices out there, not even just phones, they simply cannot spend time on differentiating between what is harmful and what is not. Therefore, all devices must be completely turned off.

So you are telling me that I will have to remove the battery to turn off the phone? Sorry, that's retarded.
    Last edited by haydur; 04/05/2009 at 07:00 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    why waste the battery leaving it "on" all day?
    the radio is what uses the battery when the phone's in your pocket, if it's in airplane mode and you're not using it the battery drain is insignificant. at least that's the way it is on the centro, winmo may be more broken
    Yeah. Or it could just be my 800w. It is a POS and seems to think that even though the radio is off it can still try to get email all the time.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If you're going to turn it "completely off" why bother carrying it? If you want to use it for calendar functions, or playing music, or games, it's not completely off. With the battery removed, or "completely off" it's a plastic brick.
    Because I might want to go outside on my break to check my messages? I can not use the phone where I work... people have been caught taking pictures of account information and using it to steal money. Furthermore, I don't get a signal in the building. Why waste the battery in case I have a tire blowout on the way home and need to call AAA?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    So you are telling me that I will having to remove the battery to turn off the phone? Sorry, that's retarded.
    For the 800w and Centro, so far as I know. I think the 700wx was like that but that was two years ago and my memory isn't very good anymore. I'm sure they have a good reason for it and I think a lot of people like it that way. But sometimes I like to just be able to turn it completely off.