Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I don't get why the universal search doesn't hook into this instead of Google Maps, personally. They both have the same feature set, but Sprint Navigation adds the turn by turn directions. If I'm searching for something locally, chances are, I'm going to prefer Sprint Navigation to Google Maps.
    Why doesn't universal search hook into amazon, fandango, and pandora as well?

I don't see why third party apps can't make themselves available for inclusion of the universal search. I don't see why that hasn't been shown to be customizable.

This is one of my biggest concerns with the Pre.

Nobody seems to know.
    Have to agree. Google maps is near useless for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I use Google maps all the time, all day long. Of course, My Centro doesn't have navi though, so that would stop a lot of that use. I use it for directions, locating buisnesses, getting numbers (saves 411 fees) and websites etc. It is actually a very useful app for me. BUT, if Telenav would give numbers/websites etc. like google maps, I would have no need. Vice Versa, if Google Maps had a turn by turn navi like Telenav, I wouldn't need Tele. Seems to me one of the two could add a feature or two and eliminate some wasted memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    BUT, if Telenav would give numbers/websites etc. like google maps, I would have no need.
    It does.
    That's exactly it. Unless you have a GPS puck, you're not using the phone as a gps. Lack of telenav integration into universal search is just dumb. Makes me like my Dash Express that much more. Would hope the Pre could make me ditch it. Ideally, for as intuitive and synergistic as the Pre should be, I should be able to ditch it. Sounds like something that needs to be worked on. But I use the Dash more for traffic and cheap gas than I do for nav. Cheap gas should be an app that gets created and integrated with TeleNav. Be able to sort by price and distance would be key. Select the one you want and have telenav take you there. I wonder if Dash could create an app for the Pre. That would be stellar. Love their traffic. Better implemented than any other gps I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I use Google maps all the time, all day long. Of course, My Centro doesn't have navi though, so that would stop a lot of that use. I use it for directions, locating buisnesses, getting numbers (saves 411 fees) and websites etc. It is actually a very useful app for me. BUT, if Telenav would give numbers/websites etc. like google maps, I would have no need. Vice Versa, if Google Maps had a turn by turn navi like Telenav, I wouldn't need Tele. Seems to me one of the two could add a feature or two and eliminate some wasted memory.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Just mildly off topic...but...that's a great link to all the good Palm Pre videos we have seen so far.

Anyhow...what I noticed was in the Amazon Store video...the guy asks if you can preview the song before you buy it. If I remember correctly, that's what one of the demo people at CES was doing, he was listening to previews of the song using the Amazon app. Not sure why the Product Manager dude said that he's not sure about whether you can do that or not. I doubt Amazon would go through the trouble of incorporating this functionality in the CES version of their software but then take it out in this latest release?

By the way, I love Sprint Navigation. I use it just about every day because I have no sense of direction and I have to go to a lot of different, mostly unfamiliar places every day. It's also great to be able to take it with you just in case you are riding with a friend who doesn't have navigation in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Google maps loads faster and returns local search results faster then Telenav/Sprint Navigation/VZWnav/AT&T Navigator et al. It also offers street view and 'satellite' images.

While it may not be ideal for driving, it is a much better local search app.
    I don't think people are really trying to trash gmaps. It does serve it's purpose, but when you need to go to nav, the integration is lost, and it just doesn't seem to make sense.
    My preference is for a non-subscription based GPS navigation app that works regardless of whether or not you're connected to Sprint, and can even be used in other countries. That would mean Garmin or TomTom loaded on the phone... I personally prefer Garmin, and hope at least one of them is looking at developing for the Pre.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I don't think people are really trying to trash gmaps. It does serve it's purpose, but when you need to go to nav, the integration is lost, and it just doesn't seem to make sense.
    I use GMaps for navigation, I know it doesnt have turn by turn like Telenav/Sprintnav but if you do the route, then go to my location it keeps the course up but does away with the little bubble telling you where to turn, it tracks your movement, I just make a quick look to see what road to turn on and I'm off, that said I use Live search more then GMaps.
    Terry
    I use Telenav on my 680 and think it is great. There are two features that make Telenav unique. First, I enter most of my destinations via my desktop PC. The address gets sync'd to my phone once I get in the car. This is a lot faster than entering the address via the phone keyboard.

Second, I pay $10 a month for the service and never have to worry about updating a map database.

I plan to use Telenav on my Pre. I use gmaps occassionally to find a business. Telenav has this feature too.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't get why the universal search doesn't hook into this instead of Google Maps, personally. They both have the same feature set, but Sprint Navigation adds the turn by turn directions. If I'm searching for something locally, chances are, I'm going to prefer Sprint Navigation to Google Maps.
    Well, when the Pre comes out on other carriers, they would have to change the universal search to use a different program. The probably want it to be a uniform experience.
    Oh I agree with that. I will be interested to hear more about universal search and I hope that it does offer integration with more apps.

I look forward to having access to Sprint Nav for the couple times a month I am in a car, but google maps is something I use 5-10 times a day. If I cant have both integrated into universal search, I am glad Google maps is the lucky winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well, when the Pre comes out on other carriers, they would have to change the universal search to use a different program. The probably want it to be a uniform experience.
    It pretty much is. Telenav provides the branded GPS apps for Sprint AT&T and VZW here in the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    It pretty much is. Telenav provides the branded GPS apps for Sprint AT&T and VZW here in the USA.
    This is an optional (for added cost) service. Lots of people will not be willing to pay the additional charge (I wouldn't give AT&T 1 penny more). I would not be able to use universal search then.
    hence why it is included with Sprint's SE plans which will most likely be the norm for the Pre. I think people wanting to use the Pre as a primary source of nav will be more inclined to use TeleNav as opposed to a 3rd party.

Someone mentioned overseas use. Kinda stinks because you have to carry a phone and the Pre. But at least it's your PDA, media player and blah blah blah so it serves more purpose than if it was just a phone, the one thing you wouldn't be able to use it for.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Does sprint nav have traffic like GMaps? Right now I dont have GPS but GMaps is fine...I usually know the regular way to get somewhere and use google maps to find an alternate rotue.
    hence why it is included with Sprint's SE plans which will most likely be the norm for the Pre. I think people wanting to use the Pre as a primary source of nav will be more inclined to use TeleNav as opposed to a 3rd party.

Someone mentioned overseas use. Kinda stinks because you have to carry a phone and the Pre. But at least it's your PDA, media player and blah blah blah so it serves more purpose than if it was just a phone, the one thing you wouldn't be able to use it for.
    As I said, If the ever release the Pre on other carriers, this would be an issue. There is no way AT&T or verizon can get away with forcing people to pay extra for the telenav service.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast