Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Why would Garmin release a webOS version anytime soon when telenav is free?

In their case, volume of customers does matter. Anyone with branding like them, it matters. It's only the small time developers that could perhaps stand out with palm or otherwise hit a brick wall in the apple app store.

In other words, Garmin is busy doing an iphone app..if not, then they're nuts. Imagine an ipod touch with a garmin app and gps built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Ahhh... you're logic is faulty in that it assumes that the Pre is only going to be released on Sprint, whereas the Pre will be available to GSM and CDMA carriers in the US and internationally, as well the WebOS will be rolled out in numerous devices beyond the Pre v1.
    LOl, no it isn't. Please read my point again. Over 50 million smartphones with windows mobile have been made. Estimated for sales in next 12 months are 20 million or more. The Software in question wws mostly written for WinCE platforms.

Add the fact that Pre will require higher priced plans that have Telnav thrown in. Over the next twelve months this is going to mean a tiny, almost infinitesimal proportion of Pre users with a need for Garmin or Tomtom compared to Windows Mobile users, plus the fact that the programs were written largely for windows (which runs underneath many dedicated GPS units) so porting them to windows mobile was easy (and already done).

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-3...eo-walkthrough
    45 seconds into this video, although the demoer gets interrupted, I take what I heard him say to mean the Pre has both aGPS and standalone GPS. Did I hear him correctly?
    No it isn't meaningful until we test it. Palm disagrees with all the technical papers, GPS publications, this own treo central sites editors, patent defintions ie everyone else in the world as to what standalone GPS means. Unlike everyone esle they claim "standalone GPS" can be advertised even on devices that are network dependent for GPS -- and have made a formal statement to that affect.

IE what palm says doesn't matter until we confirm it.

They stated 800w had standalone and it does not in fact. Rather than fix it they denied everyone else's definition
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    They stated 800w had standalone and it does not in fact. Rather than fix it they denied everyone else's definition
    I'd love to see them called out on that, publicly.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'd love to see them called out on that, publicly.
    I am optomistic on the Pre for what it will do for Palm, how it will help everyone by spuring innivation and competion, and even for my one usage.

But like you know the idea that Palms claims on standalone GPS should be taken at face value is wrong. I think there is a good chance Pre will have standalone GPS but we will need to test it and not give Palm claims any credit since they don't agree with the standard definition.
    I feel you. There are some (rightfully) quite pissed 800w buyers out there who thought they were getting one type of functionality, but they ended up with another.

If I allowed myself to think about that for too long, it'd really set me off because (and I'm being honest here) if any company other than Palm had pulled that $#!+, I'd write them off. Period. Done.

For whatever reason, though, I'm quite a Palm loyalist (despite my ample criticism of them). I'm hopeful that they'll fulfill the promise (i.e. potential) that so many of us see in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Why would Garmin release a webOS version anytime soon when telenav is free?

In their case, volume of customers does matter. Anyone with branding like them, it matters. It's only the small time developers that could perhaps stand out with palm or otherwise hit a brick wall in the apple app store.

In other words, Garmin is busy doing an iphone app..if not, then they're nuts. Imagine an ipod touch with a garmin app and gps built in.
    Because Garmin is 99999999999999999999999 times better than Telenav.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI… NR70v>CLI… TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Telenav on my Verizon Centro is much better than that. Isn't SprintNav the same?
    I thought it was the same, when I used Telenav I loved it, the only reason I got rid of it is because I need somthing that works with out phone service.
    The maps where totaly up to date, when they changed I15 through SLC Ut. they changed all of the exits, Telenav had them all up to date in just a few days, I naver had a problem with it, but then i never tried walking with it, with GPS the faster you move the more accurate it becomes.
    But from what Ive seen of the instinct it is just a terrible device!!
    Terry
    Telenav and Sprint Navigation are the same, yes. VZ Navigator on the other hand, seems to be different, and very horrible: VZ Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Because Garmin is 99999999999999999999999 times better than Telenav.
    I actually disagree myself, but to each their own. I prefer the constantly updating maps rather than paying for upgrades, and spoken street names, etc. I used Garmin Mobile on my Treo 755p, but then when I switched to an Everything Plan I started using Sprint Navigation and I prefer it. But choice would be good for those who want it, I'm just not entirely sure it'll happen on the Pre.

I'd bet that it's actually possible to code Garmin or TomTom in HTML and CSS using the APIs that Palm has, but I just don't see either company as being willing to re-write their entire program for a new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I actually disagree myself, but to each their own. I prefer the constantly updating maps rather than paying for upgrades, and spoken street names, etc. I used Garmin Mobile on my Treo 755p, but then when I switched to an Everything Plan I started using Sprint Navigation and I prefer it. But choice would be good for those who want it, I'm just not entirely sure it'll happen on the Pre.

I'd bet that it's actually possible to code Garmin or TomTom in HTML and CSS using the APIs that Palm has, but I just don't see either company as being willing to re-write their entire program for a new device.
    I don't think Garmin are interested in making apps for the Pre anyhow since most owners will just go with the Telenav that 1. Comes with the phone for free, and 2. whose service is included in the Simply Everything plan price. I am happy with Sprint Navigation and see no point in spending money on the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I don't think Garmin are interested in making apps for the Pre anyhow since most owners will just go with the Telenav that 1. Comes with the phone for free, and 2. whose service is included in the Simply Everything plan price. I am happy with Sprint Navigation and see no point in spending money on the others.
    Let us not forget that Garmin is releasing a cell phone, the Nuvifone of thier own which could kill thier desire to produce for the masses
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    The great part of Sprint navigation is not having to pay a monthly fee to telenav. I have it on my Mogul and love it. The video of Nav on the Pre is so much better than on my Mogul. I'm so waiting to get this phone. I hope that there will be some type of phone holder that will allow the touchstone to charge the phone while in the car. Go PRE!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This is an optional (for added cost) service. Lots of people will not be willing to pay the additional charge (I wouldn't give AT&T 1 penny more). I would not be able to use universal search then.
    That's the wonderful part about being with Sprint. THey include it for free in their data plans. Sucks for you to have to be on ATT. Maybe its time for you to come over to sprint and see how much better they are than they used to be. I've been with Sprint for over 10 years and they are so much better than they were before. I will pesonally vouch for that.
    I've been bugging the palm people on facebook to get a demo, dummy or whatever so they could have a car cradle ready at launch time, and one that hopefully has an induction back. I won't call it a touchstone back. They didn't invent the tech. But the Palm people have been unresponsive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet317 View Post
    I hope that there will be some type of phone holder that will allow the touchstone to charge the phone while in the car. Go PRE!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

The issue still comes down to Telanv not working well when you are in rural areas outside of sprint range. That is beyond the issue of standalone gps function, since Telnav itself depends on the network for data.

That gets to the issue of the difference between network and cloud exploitation which is a good thing vs network dependence, which in many cases is a bad thing./

Your last point I agree with. But there are not just economies of scale issue with WEBOS probably at 1% to 3% deployed share of Windows mobile over the next 4 quarters, but there are also security issues with coding your software in HTML or CSS

Quote Originally Posted by bullet317 View Post
    That's the wonderful part about being with Sprint. THey include it for free in their data plans.
    No it isn't included on all the data plans. It isn't included in mine or my brother's or my son's sprint data plans.
    Last edited by aero; 04/08/2009 at 07:47 PM.
    It is included in every plan which Sprint has guaranteed the Pre to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The issue still comes down to Telanv not working well when you are in rural areas outside of sprint range. That is beyond the issue of standalone gps function, since Telnav itself depends on the network for data.

That gets to the issue of the difference between network and cloud exploitation which is a good thing vs network dependence, which in many cases is a bad thing.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I could definitely see how it would be an issue if you don't have great coverage, but when it's working, I think that Garmin or TomTom have no advantages over Telenav, and I personally have never had an issue with needing data coverage anywhere I've traveled, which as I believe I've said before, has been all along the east coast from New Hampshire to DC.
    I've traveled in the Southeast U.S. and talked to others in the same region. During that time both, they and I, have slipped into "dry spots" where we have no coverage - roaming, at best.

For those who never travel outside of their safe (signal) zone (which is hard for me to imagine, I'll admit) Telenav-styled solutions have GOT to be attractive as heck.
    I still think Telenav could create a cache on the Pre based on your planned route or direction of travel that could easily cover dead zones. You'd think a service you pay monthly for would have some sort of obligation to help deal with dead zones. Maybe you could set cache limits that limit what kind of range you'd be able to cover without a signal. Even having a 50-100 mile range would hardly put a dent into the 8gb on the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234