Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Also there is not yet confirmation that Pre has standalone GPS
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-3...eo-walkthrough
    45 seconds into this video, although the demoer gets interrupted, I take what I heard him say to mean the Pre has both aGPS and standalone GPS. Did I hear him correctly?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Navigon, garmin, tomtom and the rest are originally built on windows CE platforms, that and 50 million windows mobile smartphones (70 million by year end) is why they were easy and profitable to port to windows mobile. full maps for garmin, tomtom, navigon, igo take less than 2gb of card memory and not much processing needs.

With the Pre, lets say they sell 3 million in next 18 months, why would the full featured dedicated nav program makers bother with the pre? it makes little sense:

- Probably 95% of those sold on sprint are going to be bundled with telenav inclusive subscription plans.
    - they have to write new software with associated steep new development and support costs

Also there is not yet confirmation that Pre has standalone GPS
    Ahhh... you're logic is faulty in that it assumes that the Pre is only going to be released on Sprint, whereas the Pre will be available to GSM and CDMA carriers in the US and internationally, as well the WebOS will be rolled out in numerous devices beyond the Pre v1.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Not faulty in the fact it'll take time. You won't see an AT&T or Verizon Pre till at least next year. So maybe once the numbers pick up, it could materialize. But for awhile TeleNav will probably be the only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Ahhh... you're logic is faulty in that it assumes that the Pre is only going to be released on Sprint, whereas the Pre will be available to GSM and CDMA carriers in the US and internationally, as well the WebOS will be rolled out in numerous devices beyond the Pre v1.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Nope, i don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I hope Garmin and TomTom make apps for GPS...
    Only problem with a GPS app that works without cell connection is that the maps need to be resident on the device. That could mean approx. 2GB of the non-expandable 8GB is taken up just by maps. Maybe not a problem for some, but a big problem for others ...
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Sprint Navi is pretty good. Clean interface with just enough to get you around. Lacks some extra things in standalone apps like Garmin, TomTom, iGO, etc... but it's usually enough. I agree with the user who said it should be a bit more intuitive in areas that lack cell reception. I think it should pre cache regardless of where you are actually. I mean, it knows your destination, it should at least cache the main route in advance.

I usually didn't have a problem with it but on occasion I'll pass an area without EVDO or slow EVDO(?) and it'll stutter or lose reception and be forced to reroute. All is well since this is fairly fast, but it could be annoying if you miss an important turn or ramp. Another issue I found annoying was when I got incoming calls, it also had to reroute from scratch when I resumed. Again, in areas with bad/low reception this takes a while compared to how fast you're moving in a car. Pre caching the route data as you go could nearly solve these problems?
    That is really the worst problem with Sprint Nav, since EVDO Rev A cant do simultaneous voice and data one can encounter significant problems when trying to juggle phone calls and using your phone for navigation.
    Actually, EVDO Rev A can do voice and data together (with voice getting lumped in with data as VOIP) - Sprint just won't do it.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Actually, EVDO Rev A can do voice and data together (with voice getting lumped in with data as VOIP) - Sprint just won't do it.
    It isnt just Sprint, no one in the world does it.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I wonder if there's any chance that TomTom for Palm OS will work in the emulator?? That would be excellent!
    Rev A can do voice/data together in theory, but has not yet been done in practice from what I understand.
    You can do voice and data together if you use a webOS VOIP app.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I wonder if there's any chance that TomTom for Palm OS will work in the emulator?? That would be excellent!
    That is what I am hoping!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    So to get back to topic. I think they are completely different. I like gmaps because it is free, gives you traffic and has a really good search for just about anything. Telnav is nice and worked great the few times I tried it, but there is a montyhly fee after the first few trips and I'm not willing to pay monthly for the added benefit of automated turn by turn. If it did features like automatically routing me around traffic, ect, I would probably say okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    So to get back to topic. I think they are completely different. I like gmaps because it is free, gives you traffic and has a really good search for just about anything. Telnav is nice and worked great the few times I tried it, but there is a montyhly fee after the first few trips and I'm not willing to pay monthly for the added benefit of automated turn by turn. If it did features like automatically routing me around traffic, ect, I would probably say okay.
    The monthly fee will already be baked in to the Sprint plans for the Pre, so you'll get it whether you want it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The monthly fee will already be baked in to the Sprint plans for the Pre, so you'll get it whether you want it or not.
    Into plans which are already less than the competition, so unless you're on SERO, you have nothing to complain about there.
    I have used the VZ navigator and my Garmin Nuvi is 121085210958201 times better... so I am not holding out hope that any cell phone navigator will ever be worth the price
    If VZ Navigator is your only point of reference, you should at least look into Telenav/ Sprint Navigation, because just from looking at a couple pictures of the VZ one, (looks to be a crappy little BREW app) Sprint Navigation is much better.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Granted I would like the Sprint Nav. because my plan already allows GPS without extra charges (SE), but I have used my boyfriend's Instinct and the GPS has taken me to the wrong place a lot of times. I don't know if the fault was mine or not but it wasn't a good experience lol
    IMO Sprint Nav on the Instinct is Terrible. I have out WALKED the maps several times. I got lost walking around a golf course in the dark one time (with full signal) because my position was really 100 yards ahead of where the Nav was showing me on the map.

On the highway it's almost totally useless. To make things worse, the Maps that Sprint uses are several years old.

I hope that on the PRE the maps will PREload along your route like I think I've seen, and I really really want a GARMIN option with the ability to load maps directly onto the pre.
    Telenav on my Verizon Centro is much better than that. Isn't SprintNav the same?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast