Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gives sprint that much more value. If the Pre does well I think it will make more people take a look at Sprint, see the value in their plans and question why they pay the other carriers so much money. Sprint is cheaper overall for voice and data, plus they include nav and other premium features you (the other carriers) want to charge me for? Either include it or I'm switching. Some features will go from premium to commodity. TeleNav could be one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Does sprint nav have traffic like GMaps? Right now I dont have GPS but GMaps is fine...I usually know the regular way to get somewhere and use google maps to find an alternate rotue.
    Yes it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    As I said, If the ever release the Pre on other carriers, this would be an issue. There is no way AT&T or verizon can get away with forcing people to pay extra for the telenav service.
    Not sure why you say that. Right now I'm on Verizon and have to pay Telenav directly $10 per mo. for use with my Centro.
    I think he means HE would go without Telenav if he had to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Not sure why you say that. Right now I'm on Verizon and have to pay Telenav directly $10 per mo. for use with my Centro.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I guess the issue is sorting out the pluses and minuses of various carriers. Seems a lot of people like Verizon enough to put up with extra charges. In the past, Sprint's horrible customer service was enough for me to stick with Verizon. But when the Pre comes out I may switch, and Sprint Nav would be one more advantage.
    I hope Garmin and TomTom make apps for GPS...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    If every Sprint plan that works for the Pre has Telenav included free, I wouldnt expect that until the Pre is available on another carrier.

TomTom is a european company, once the Pre is out there you might see an app.
    Are you guys saying it doesn't search contacts at all, not even through the application?

I use Mapquest Navigator nightly and have entered hundreds of customers in my BB.

The "search" in Telenav doesn't search the Pre's contacts on the phone?

Sorry I'm a little confused. I have only used Mapquest...
    So I'm guessing there is not gonna be a third party GPS software for the Pre? You know, like TomTom for the Treo? "cause paying 10 bucks a month just to have GPS in your phone is ridiculous for me. I don't use GPS that often, but when I needed I'm glad I have one that I don't have to pay for it monthly.
    In my opinion, the greater advantage of TomTom is not having to be on the network to see maps and get directions. Haven't any of you ever driven some place where you didn't have access to your phone network?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Treolo: If you're on Sprint you'll have a Simply Everything plan where Telenav is included. It'll be Verizon & AT&T that will have a monthly charge.

The other option is to wait for a 3rd party to develop a program for the Pre. So it'll depend on how badly you want to use nav on it if you're on Verizon or AT&T (when it does end up coming out for them).

As others have pointed out, one nice thing with a 3rd party is you'd have navigation even when you're out of cell range.

Though on the plus side for Telenav, your map info is always up to date where with many others you're paying a nice fee to get map updates.

I think Telenav should have some of it's own intuitiveness. It knows where you are and where you're going. Sprint should have an idea where you might have signal loss. Telenav could anticipate a loss of coverage and cache the map info for that region so you don't lose your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    In my opinion, the greater advantage of TomTom is not having to be on the network to see maps and get directions. Haven't any of you ever driven some place where you didn't have access to your phone network?
    Can't say I have. I've driven from as far north as New Hampshire to as far south as DC, and haven't ever had that problem. I could see maybe it being an issue for the middle of the country maybe, but for me, the being dependent on a phone signal doesn't matter at all.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Can't say I have. I've driven from as far north as New Hampshire to as far south as DC, and haven't ever had that problem. I could see maybe it being an issue for the middle of the country maybe, but for me, the being dependent on a phone signal doesn't matter at all.
    II Live in Utah, I travel to places with out phone coverage on a weekley bassis, I use Garmin for those cases.
    It is interesting to watch the map background on Google and others move with out any map displayed.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    That's exactly it. Unless you have a GPS puck, you're not using the phone as a gps.
    I don't understand what you mean or to whom you're responding.

If you're talking about the Pre, I don't see why one would need a puck*.

* - assuming you're talking about a gps receiver.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Are you guys saying it doesn't search contacts at all, not even through the application?

I use Mapquest Navigator nightly and have entered hundreds of customers in my BB.

The "search" in Telenav doesn't search the Pre's contacts on the phone?

Sorry I'm a little confused. I have only used Mapquest...
    No, I would be highly surprised and rather angry if TeleNav didn't support contact searching inside the app - that's such a "duh" feature to implement in the SDK - Palm's built in a Contacts API that makes it trivial to pull that stuff over. (They also did one better than Apple and did a Calendar API - thank effing God - Apple was a bunch of buffoons for not including one in their SDK.)

Rather, I think what everyone's sorta miffed about is that it probably doesn't incorporate itself into Palm's widely-hyped "Universal Search" functionality, whereas Google Maps is. Pretty aggravating - both for the user, and for us developers who would love to build a search indexer for the Universal Search so that users could search their apps' databases from anywhere... Hopefully we'll see that implemented eventually - seems like a no-brainer addition to the SDK.
    Granted I would like the Sprint Nav. because my plan already allows GPS without extra charges (SE), but I have used my boyfriend's Instinct and the GPS has taken me to the wrong place a lot of times. I don't know if the fault was mine or not but it wasn't a good experience lol
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Thanks Libb.

cckgz4 you sure the boyfriend isn't up to something? Reminded me of the Henny Youngman joke, "I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back".

I learned the hard way that gps isn't perfect, when it sent me the wrong way into a dead end of a tiny trailer park. I was driving an 18 wheeler at the time.
    The Instinct has its own issues.

Sprint Nav has been pretty good to me on a variety of phones. Since you get i for free give it a try, it looks like it will pretty smooth on the Pre. (based on the one video)
    guy was talking about the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't understand what you mean or to whom you're responding.

If you're talking about the Pre, I don't see why one would need a puck*.

* - assuming you're talking about a gps receiver.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    So I'm guessing there is not gonna be a third party GPS software for the Pre? You know, like TomTom for the Treo? "cause paying 10 bucks a month just to have GPS in your phone is ridiculous for me. I don't use GPS that often, but when I needed I'm glad I have one that I don't have to pay for it monthly.
    Navigon, garmin, tomtom and the rest are originally built on windows CE platforms, that and 50 million windows mobile smartphones (70 million by year end) is why they were easy and profitable to port to windows mobile. full maps for garmin, tomtom, navigon, igo take less than 2gb of card memory and not much processing needs.

With the Pre, lets say they sell 3 million in next 18 months, why would the full featured dedicated nav program makers bother with the pre? it makes little sense:

- Probably 95% of those sold on sprint are going to be bundled with telenav inclusive subscription plans.
    - they have to write new software with associated steep new development and support costs

Also there is not yet confirmation that Pre has standalone GPS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast