Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
  1.    #1  
    Lots of threads about things you will enjoy love etc, what about the things you will miss when you trade your Treo/Centro etc. for a Pre.

    I will an SD card for quick file transfers between PC and cell phones. I guess we can always just carry a cable in our pocket 24/7 at work though. Almost a dealbreaker, haven't decided yet.

    Camcorder. That's actually a pretty big deal for work, guess I will have to get by with a bunch of pictures instead. Wonder if a 3rd party app could turn the camera into a camcorder? Not really a dealbreaker, but really irritates me.

    IR. Although old technology and not a big deal, all of the computers I deal with at work either have Bluetooth or IR, not both.

    Stylis. Again, not a big deal, especially with WebOS and its large buttons, but a lot of the testers seemed to have "normal" sized fingers and had some trouble a few times..

    Guess we will have to wait to see what the software is/isn't capable of when it comes out, but what kind of hardware are you guys going to miss?

    Either way, it is an incredible phone, and I can't wait for it to come out. Just going to have to figure something out for the work stuff that it can't pull off.
  2. #2  
    The nice, easy to use one-handed 5 Way Nav.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Lots of threads about things you will enjoy love etc, what about the things you will miss when you trade your Treo/Centro etc. for a Pre.

    I will an SD card for quick file transfers between PC and cell phones. I guess we can always just carry a cable in our pocket 24/7 at work though. Almost a dealbreaker, haven't decided yet.

    Camcorder. That's actually a pretty big deal for work, guess I will have to get by with a bunch of pictures instead. Wonder if a 3rd party app could turn the camera into a camcorder? Not really a dealbreaker, but really irritates me.

    IR. Although old technology and not a big deal, all of the computers I deal with at work either have Bluetooth or IR, not both.

    Stylis. Again, not a big deal, especially with WebOS and its large buttons, but a lot of the testers seemed to have "normal" sized fingers and had some trouble a few times..

    Guess we will have to wait to see what the software is/isn't capable of when it comes out, but what kind of hardware are you guys going to miss?

    Either way, it is an incredible phone, and I can't wait for it to come out. Just going to have to figure something out for the work stuff that it can't pull off.
    I will miss the 10 second lag when going to Agendus.
    I will miss my little tiny Centro screen.
    I will miss the beautifully modernized Palm OS interface.

    seriously.

    I am not sure how the pre will feel in my hand, but I really like the Cetro.
    I won't miss the SD card at all.
    It looks like I won't miss any of my games (*grin*)
    I will miss Agendus if its not ported over.
    I love Ultimate Phone, but I suspect I will forget about it once I see WebOS in my hands.
    And mostly:
    I will miss having a phone because I am pretty sure my wife temporarily forget about her iphone and take over my phone for a while......
  4. #4  
    SD card ... that's about it.

    It appears the Pre will replace or improve on evey other Palm OS fetaure of hardware feature on the Treo or Centro.,

    The exception come via 3rd party apps, but that is tough to pass opinion on. The specialization each owner does to there phone is to vast
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  5. #5  
    The SD Card and the 5 way navigation. For all of us that have palm OS programs that we will install , will make that 8gb even more precious and I will be wishing for a SD card or 16gb.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/03/2009 at 08:51 AM.
  6. #6  
    Definitely 5 way nav -- that blue halo just magically hovers over where you want to go. Do you think it would disrupt the WebOS paradigm if they went with a joystick instead of a silly 1 dimensional button? Heck.. wouldn't hurt to add some multicolored leds too.

    I will also miss:

    * LOCK button on my TH55 -- turns off screen and locks buttons/touchscreen

    although this could easily be fixed with an utility triggered by keyboard shortcut

    * expandable memory card

    * access file system

    * self reflecting mirror on camera

    * scroll wheel / jog dial on side for lists
  7. #7  
    Blackberry messenger.

    Removable memory.

    The ability to use my (gsm) BB almost anywhere in the world for a flat $20 unlimited international data plan. (thanks T-Mobile)
  8. #8  
    Another vote for the 5-way D-pad. Not sure about the SD card. I think the flash drive capability will do me. (That's if 8G is enough.)
  9.    #9  
    To be clear about the SD card, I was more or less referring to the ease of transferring files without having to carry a cable around. With a microSD In the device and a micro to fullsize adapter under the battery cover, I was able to transfer files with 99% of the phones/PCs I encounter. 8GB is on the low end of enough memory, but assuming we can through pics/videos etc "into our own rain drop in the cloud" and use the 8GB for mostly apps, it should be sufficient. The problem lies with people who swap data between devices and maybe not always have bluetooth available and the files are too large for email/internet unavailable etc.

    As far as the camcorder goes, I think that is a little rediculous, but I assume a 3rd party app could probably turn the camera on and record.

    The mirror for the camera mention above is something I forgot about. Cool feature on the old phones, but I won't really miss it I don't think.

    The 5 way navi button Is present digitally on Classic.
  10. #10  
    There is now a Palm OS Emulator for the Pre on Engadget Mobile's front page.

    Looks like the last real reason I was holding back on switching over to Sprint just went out the window. DopeWars ftw!
    VZW Centro
  11. #11  
    Is there no removeable memory or have they switched to MicroSD?

    If there is no SD at all it's a dealbreaker.

    Is there a keyboard slide-out or no? That's a dealbreaker if no keyboard. No one likes the keyboard on the screen.

    But the real breaker will be a lack of CallRec. Now that may be programmed in the future or available in emulation mode, but if I can't record my phone calls I'll never go to it.

    No stylus? That means no emergency pen. I need my emergency pen!
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    Is there no removeable memory or have they switched to MicroSD?

    If there is no SD at all it's a dealbreaker.

    Is there a keyboard slide-out or no? That's a dealbreaker if no keyboard. No one likes the keyboard on the screen.

    But the real breaker will be a lack of CallRec. Now that may be programmed in the future or available in emulation mode, but if I can't record my phone calls I'll never go to it.

    No stylus? That means no emergency pen. I need my emergency pen!
    It's not April 1st.

    Is this humor I'm just not getting?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13. #13  
    It's not humor. I haven't been closely following Pre developments so I don't know much about it. What did I say that was so off-base?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    Is there no removeable memory or have they switched to MicroSD?

    If there is no SD at all it's a dealbreaker.

    Is there a keyboard slide-out or no? That's a dealbreaker if no keyboard. No one likes the keyboard on the screen.

    But the real breaker will be a lack of CallRec. Now that may be programmed in the future or available in emulation mode, but if I can't record my phone calls I'll never go to it.

    No stylus? That means no emergency pen. I need my emergency pen!
    No removable memory at all. 7.4 gigs internal. That was a dealbreaker for me, but I *may* be able to work around it. I'll have to wait until another palm freak I know gets one and I see if I can use it for work without it.

    There IS a slide out keyboard.

    I hear you on the pen. Maybe an old stylus will fit under the batt cover somewhere for a quick pen and classic apps
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    To be clear about the SD card, I was more or less referring to the ease of transferring files without having to carry a cable around. With a microSD In the device and a micro to fullsize adapter under the battery cover, I was able to transfer files with 99% of the phones/PCs I encounter. 8GB is on the low end of enough memory, but assuming we can through pics/videos etc "into our own rain drop in the cloud" and use the 8GB for mostly apps, it should be sufficient. The problem lies with people who swap data between devices and maybe not always have bluetooth available and the files are too large for email/internet unavailable etc.

    As far as the camcorder goes, I think that is a little rediculous, but I assume a 3rd party app could probably turn the camera on and record.

    The mirror for the camera mention above is something I forgot about. Cool feature on the old phones, but I won't really miss it I don't think.

    The 5 way navi button Is present digitally on Classic.
    It has a large mirror. That is what this chick is looking at:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  16. #16  
    No camcorder sucks, too, but that will be a 3rd party release within the first week I wager.

    With no removeable memory, what will be the best way to transfer 5GB of mp3's onto the phone?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    No camcorder sucks, too, but that will be a 3rd party release within the first week I wager.

    With no removeable memory, what will be the best way to transfer 5GB of mp3's onto the phone?
    That should be easy - memory card in question into computer, USB cable to pre. Drag/drop. Done.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    No camcorder sucks, too, but that will be a 3rd party release within the first week I wager.

    With no removeable memory, what will be the best way to transfer 5GB of mp3's onto the phone?
    Connect it to a computer via USB and use it like an external hard drive.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. #19  
    it's gonna be tough to give up blackberry messenger, but i'll try...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Connect it to a computer via USB and use it like an external hard drive.
    You think palm will include a cable that's retractable and small enough to fit in a wallet? Maybe even something the size of a thumb drive that can go on a keychain? Gr. Carrying cables again seems like such a huge step backwards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions